RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Murdock

Jan 19, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2953 views)
Shortcut

Anyone here had Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery? If so what was your experience
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just diagnosed (officially, with the nerve conduction test and all that) with carpal tunnel syndrome. It's mostly related to work, not climbing, but I'm hoping that those of you who've had the surgery can tell me what your experience was like.

My main concerns are:

1) How long until I can climb again?
2) Will I lose my grip strength if I have the surgery?

My doc does endoscopic surgery, which has a significantly faster recovery time, but again, I'd just really like to hear from other climbers who have had the surgery, especially with regard to how long it took them to get back to their pre-surgery climbing strength.

I've started training very systematically for climbing the past year and have been seeing rapid gains. I would hate to have the surgery put me out of the game for six months or somehow permanently reduce my grip strength (I don't know if this is a risk, but again, that's why I'm asking for first-hand accounts).

Climbing helps keep me sane and happy. Just nervous about what the surgical effects might be. On the other hand, pain sucks and if the surgery is effective it would be amazing to not have to deal with the pain anymore so.... yeah... pros and cons and all that.

Thanks!

veilneb

Jan 20, 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Murdock] Anyone here had Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery? If so what was your experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really have median nerve compression (carpal tunnel syndrome), as it appears that you do, you will lose grip strength if you DON'T have surgery.

Murdock

Jan 20, 2012, 6:42 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veilneb] Anyone here had Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery? If so what was your experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veilneb wrote:
If you really have median nerve compression (carpal tunnel syndrome), as it appears that you do, you will lose grip strength if you DON'T have surgery.

veilneb, in the long term you certainly may be right if more conservative treatment options fail. But again, I'm looking for people who have first-hand experience with the surgery (pardon the pun)

Terrell

Jan 20, 2012, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Murdock] Anyone here had Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery? If so what was your experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I scrub on this surgery, very common problem. Get the surgery but go open rather than endoscopic. The endoscopic is a more dangerous technique as part of it is done blind. The open technique is safe, quick and the recovery time is about 3-4 weeks post-op for both. The longer you wait, the median nerve gets compressed more and can become permanently damaged. If I get CTS, I'll have the surgery the next day if possible. You'll do great. Best wishes!

Murdock

Jan 20, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Terrell] Anyone here had Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery? If so what was your experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Terrell wrote:
I scrub on this surgery, very common problem. Get the surgery but go open rather than endoscopic. The endoscopic is a more dangerous technique as part of it is done blind. The open technique is safe, quick and the recovery time is about 3-4 weeks post-op for both. The longer you wait, the median nerve gets compressed more and can become permanently damaged. If I get CTS, I'll have the surgery the next day if possible. You'll do great. Best wishes!

Hey Terrell, thanks for the reply! Do you have any anecdotal experience with how long climbing strength recovery might take post-op?

Terrell

Jan 20, 2012, 8:31 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Murdoc,
Pain in your hand will be the biggest indicator for when you can start climbing again. You will need to wait at least 2 wks for the incision to heal, the scar will be sensitive since it's new skin. The pain I mentioned is the scar tissue from the surgery itself breaking down. Scar tissue is a fiber and has to break, it will sting as the fiber breaks ( not a big deal). I've had 10 ortho surgeries and have broken a lot of scar tissue. Your body has great muscle memory, you will not lose a lot of strength and what you do lose will return quickly. Remember, it's harder to get in shape initially than to return to a sport because of muscle memory.
Hope this helps.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook