Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

erisspirit

Jan 18, 2012, 6:51 PM
Post #33851 of 45342 (2987 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I still need to figure out a backpack for my trip!

I don't know very much about winter packs except they have ice axe loops :P any tips on shopping for one. The stores by my house don't have too much in the way of options, so I'm going to have to hunt for one.

Lazlo

Jan 18, 2012, 7:05 PM
Post #33852 of 45342 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

#1 issue I see a lot; They bought the wrong size.
Wrong size carry capacity and also wrong size for their size torso.

For winter trips get a 75 - 80 liter. You want as much stuff inside the pack as you can.

Avoid "bells and whistles" extra straps and doo-dads look pretty, but will just end up annoying you in the end. Functionality and durability is your best bet.

I do like to have gear loops and small pockets on the waist belt. Very handy for clipping a water bottle...and in the pockets I like to keep a compass, sunscreen, lip balm, and 'cat crap'.

Make sure all the compression straps are long enough to actually function.

Also consider how well it will carry skis. And do you want a 'mud room' compartment for avy gear? Very handy for carrying your shovel and probe.

BCA makes great ski packs.

If possible, put weight in the pack and feel how it rides. Is the hip belt comfy?

Also, the whistles on the chest strap are cute.

...But I digress.

Lazlo

Jan 18, 2012, 7:08 PM
Post #33853 of 45342 (2981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Side note; As far as avys are concerned; you want everything inside your pack so that nothing is torn loose during the slide.

Imagine needing your probe and shovel to save your friend, but you just lost them in the slide.

erisspirit

Jan 18, 2012, 7:11 PM
Post #33854 of 45342 (2977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:

For winter trips get a 75 - 80 liter. You want as much stuff inside the pack as you can.

Avoid "bells and whistles" extra straps and doo-dads look pretty, but will just end up annoying you in the end. Functionality and durability is your best bet.

I do like to have gear loops and small pockets on the waist belt. Very handy for clipping a water bottle...and in the pockets I like to keep a compass, sunscreen, lip balm, and 'cat crap'.

Also consider how well it will carry skis. And do you want a 'mud room' compartment for avy gear? Very handy for carrying your shovel and probe.

If possible, put weight in the pack and feel how it rides. Is the hip belt comfy?

...But I digress.

So actually this brings up a question. On most websites all the 60+ liter packs are put in the weeklong category... is there a good/fast was to separate out which are winter and not?

(I hope to hunt out and actually physically try on the pack with weight, but with few socal options I need to find ones to hunt for first)

sungam

Jan 18, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #33855 of 45342 (2971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
Now I need to go unpack.
Great photos, looks like it was a blast!

Lazlo

Jan 19, 2012, 2:38 PM
Post #33856 of 45342 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

...But I digress.

So actually this brings up a question. On most websites all the 60+ liter packs are put in the weeklong category... is there a good/fast was to separate out which are winter and not?

(I hope to hunt out and actually physically try on the pack with weight, but with few socal options I need to find ones to hunt for first)

There aren't really any packs labeled as winter specific packs as far as I know. Some would be ice specific, but would be more in the 45 liter range.

Maybe the word "Expedition" could help with a search.

On another note:
I've seen the Gregory Denali Pro out in the wild and was fairly impressed with it. Seemed like a solid, comfortable pack.

johnwesely

Jan 19, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #33857 of 45342 (2950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't see the facebook pics at work. What a dull life.

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #33858 of 45342 (2940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

...But I digress.

There aren't really any packs labeled as winter specific packs as far as I know. Some would be ice specific, but would be more in the 45 liter range.

On another note:
I've seen the Gregory Denali Pro out in the wild and was fairly impressed with it. Seemed like a solid, comfortable pack.

Ok that helps... I already have a 70 liter pack, I just don't think it would be good for snow...

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #33859 of 45342 (2938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
donald949 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
hmmm people are trying to convince me to do Cactus to Clouds this weekend...

I think they are trying to kill me...

What is that!
Google says it is a long hike with 10k feet of gain.

that...

Go from the Palm Springs up to the top of San Jacinto...

luckily there is a bail point at only 8,000 feet of gain :P and there is beer there

I was on the 8,000 to 10,000 part a couple weeks ago and it's meh... not clear but not enough snow to make it awesome...
Via snow creek?
That is THE SoCal Alpine climb.
But a bit much for me. I'll take the tram.

no snow creek is a different route. C to C is a popular trail for your avid hiker. It starts near a museum in Palm Springs I think
Ill haz 2 look N2 dat.

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:05 PM
Post #33860 of 45342 (2934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Weather looks bad this weekend. Maybe no climbing after all.
Sad thymes.
Sew after a month of grate weather. Winter iz back wit us. Las weekend it rained on the sunday. Lucky 2 get ought sat B4 the rain on the Sun. This weakend calls 4 the rain F-S-S. Me kids r supposed to be ina phun run at Legoland. Iz nice write noa, but the weekend iz looking bleak. Mad

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 7:08 PM
Post #33861 of 45342 (2933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Sad thymes.
Sew after a month of grate weather. Winter iz back wit us. Las weekend it rained on the sunday. Lucky 2 get ought sat B4 the rain on the Sun. This weakend calls 4 the rain F-S-S. Me kids r supposed to be ina phun run at Legoland. Iz nice write noa, but the weekend iz looking bleak. Mad

YAY winter!!!

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:09 PM
Post #33862 of 45342 (2933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
donald949 wrote:
airscape wrote:
Wuzz up guys!!

So I want to search a wikipedia today and I get the strike thing..

Why does Americas fucking war with the interwebz??

War on Error404 iz the new war on terror?
I don't know...
My questions though is, since when is wikipedia a political action site? Mad
Since they face the real risk of being taken offline by SOPA/PIPA without evidence. due process, or even actually breaking the law.
So wat iz the SOPA/PIPA? Did knot here any bout it till the udder day. Noa every won iz running around yealling the sky is falling, but knot saying how. Mad

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:14 PM
Post #33863 of 45342 (2930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Sad thymes.

YAY winter!!!
How bout weather on a weak day.
The weekend iz for the playtime. An I no want 2 sit inside starring at walls while it rains rains rains.
bla

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:18 PM
Post #33864 of 45342 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

...But I digress.

On another note:
[image]http://campsavercontent.campsavercm.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/denali_pro_105_chilired.jpg[/image]

Ok that helps... I already have a 70 liter pack, I just don't think it would be good for snow...
I'm guessing if the pockets openings seal up good it should work.

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 7:18 PM
Post #33865 of 45342 (2928 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Sad thymes.

YAY winter!!!
The weekend iz for the playtime. An I no want 2 sit inside starring at walls while it rains rains rains.
bla

I guess weather during teh week would be better...

If it rains... I'm going for a rain run!

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #33866 of 45342 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

went tu teh gym and bouldered yesterday! tried overhanging stuff... Then did some crimpy my style stuff... Wuz still scared of climbing tu high up and falling but I did ok.

nao I'm sore but I think I'm climbing tonight still!

donald949

Jan 19, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #33867 of 45342 (2924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
donald949 wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
donald949 wrote:
sungam wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
Sad thymes.

YAY winter!!!
bla

I guess weather during teh week would be better...

If it rains... I'm going for a rain run!
Hiking might be good. The boys are doing cub scouts. I'll tell them we're practicing and building character. Laugh

Gmburns2000

Jan 19, 2012, 8:15 PM
Post #33868 of 45342 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

Been the same here. Gym climbing and that's it. Curitiba is known here for it's rain, and it's rained at points during just about every day the past two weeks. And by rain, I'm not talking about some panzy daily Scottish rain totals, I'm talking about four to five inches of rain per day usually coming down in about 2-3 hours of a steady, drenching downpour, and time of day does not matter. Unsure

Gmburns2000

Jan 19, 2012, 8:19 PM
Post #33869 of 45342 (2918 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
Lower Boyscout Lake

I would appreciate this place in summer.

Gmburns2000

Jan 19, 2012, 8:25 PM
Post #33870 of 45342 (2915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lazlo wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

...But I digress.

On another note:
[image]http://campsavercontent.campsavercm.netdna-cdn.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/e/denali_pro_105_chilired.jpg[/image]

really really really really really really really love my gregory alpinista 50. as in, really fucking really.

it's comfy.

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 8:36 PM
Post #33871 of 45342 (2913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
Lazlo wrote:

...But I digress.

On another note:

really really really really really really really love my gregory alpinista 50. as in, really fucking really.

it's comfy.

my bf has one of those... I really like the construction... I was worried though about it being too small for multiple nights.

johnwesely

Jan 19, 2012, 8:42 PM
Post #33872 of 45342 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
Lower Boyscout Lake

[image]http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/407080_2658852865523_1081922301_2669497_1318708865_n.jpg[/image]

I would appreciate this place in summer.

It is beautiful. Maybe one day I will see a mountain!

johnwesely

Jan 19, 2012, 8:43 PM
Post #33873 of 45342 (2911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My Fiance got into UPenn's Phd program!

erisspirit

Jan 19, 2012, 8:44 PM
Post #33874 of 45342 (2909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

WOO!

Gmburns2000

Jan 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #33875 of 45342 (2903 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:

My ex-gf and her current bf, both former climbing partners (though her more than him) are both doing phds there. both good people if you end up going with her and need climbing buddies.

First page Previous page 1 ... 1351 1352 1353 1354 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook