Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sp115

Jan 25, 2012, 1:24 PM
Post #26 of 57 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
There are pics here somewhere of a dude fending a mountain lion (or some other big cat) with a poop stick.

That was suprasup / suprasoup or something. He also had a chipmunk jump on his face while on the sharp end.

Yeah, wish I could find that thread.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Post #39 is chipmunk, post #101 is cougar with pics...

edit to add - if you ever come across a cougar and you need to something to "fight it off with", I recommend an agave plant.

(This post was edited by sp115 on Jan 25, 2012, 1:31 PM)

bill413

Jan 25, 2012, 1:38 PM
Post #27 of 57 (2593 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sp115] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wasps.

Discovering that a nest of young copperheads was underneath a flake I had used as an undercling.

Fighting dogs at base.

Incompetent belayers.

acorneau

Jan 25, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #28 of 57 (2588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Post #39 is chipmunk, post #101 is cougar with pics...

Excellent thread. Thanks for finding it.

potreroed

Jan 25, 2012, 2:25 PM
Post #29 of 57 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
As I discovered last weekend in the Organ Mountains - Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, is more scary and dangerous than a snow covered agave plant. Imagine a bouquet of giant, needle-tipped syringes covered in fishhooks.

I don't think you'd like the Potrero Chico--our walls are covered with these.

sp115

Jan 25, 2012, 2:33 PM
Post #30 of 57 (2571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau - totally worth the hunt.
potreroed - the walls are also covered by 5.12's, no threat of me getting stuck by anything.

Partner camhead

Jan 25, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #31 of 57 (2563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I had a bear keep tearing through my camp at Tensleep this summer. Running through, staring at us while we ate dinner. I think that the poor guy got put down a few weeks after my trip.

I've also had a few experiences with rattlesnakes. Was climbing a 5.8 handcrack in Red Rocks, and came across a big guy wedged in the crack about 30 feet up. Placed a cam and stemmed past it.

Also had baby rattlesnakes fall on me twice; once at Shelf Road, and once while I was rapping off TimeWaveZero in Potrero.

I also was nearly accosted by a cougar at the very first SLC rc.com meetup in 2002. She tried to lure me to her tent, but I got scared and bailed to Maple Canyon.

blueeyedclimber

Jan 25, 2012, 3:03 PM
Post #32 of 57 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Came within inches of stepping on a copperhead in the Gunks.

Scared away a black bear in Yosemite.

Numerous hornets and wasps. (never been stung while climbing)

Ticks and Chiggers (more annoying than dangerous, although ticks can carry lyme)

Stumbled upon a very angry looking collection of black vultures.

A falcon made it very clear that she did not want me there. I sped up the rappel.

Oh yeah, and all the "imaginary" sharks and snakes in Thailand. Word of advice to anyone going to Thailand or any other location that might have more exotic animals: Don't let your wife read up on it or she will be seeing sharks and snakes EVERYWHERE. Wink

Josh

eric_k

Jan 25, 2012, 3:47 PM
Post #33 of 57 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a group of mountain Goats surround my wife and I while climbing in leavenworth WA last summer. Here is a picture, this is one of probably eight that wouldn't leave us alone. http://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater I didn't think they were dangerous but my wife would disagree!

Eric

Dip

Jan 25, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #34 of 57 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Another sport climb, I was at the anchor about to drop the rope through the open shuts, and notice the rock was moving. juvenile rattlesnake just on the face of the rock, winding around the shuts.

That would freak me the f&#k out. I believe my day would be over right then and there.

Dip

Jan 25, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #35 of 57 (2540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just the standard for me. A rattlesnake or two on approach. A black snake on a ledge. Climbed through a bunch of wasps on two different occasions. Once they got pissed and started stinging, the other time they let me alone.

Edit to add: Oh. And i scored lyme disease from a stupid tick while bouldering last summer. I guess that counts too.

(This post was edited by Dip on Jan 25, 2012, 4:13 PM)

dynosore

Jan 25, 2012, 4:26 PM
Post #36 of 57 (2529 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While doing an easy solo at Castle Rock near San Jose I had a bunch of pigeons that flew out of a big pod and just about caused me to pitch off and take what would ahve been a very bad groundfall.

Grizzly charging me near Valdez was um, intense. To my own surprise I stood my ground and did everything right. Bear veered away at the last second.

Marauding black bears in Canada trashed our fishing camp once. Hang food bags waaayyy farther than you *think* they can reach.

Had to chase a crazy lynx off an island once with an axe. Two nights in a row of it stalking our camp was getting tiresome.

Most dangerous encounter was an oinery old bison in Yellowstone. We yielded the trail to him with plenty of room to spare (like 100 feet) but he decided to charge after us anyways. God himself put that lone big old tree there for that very time and day, otherwise I don't think the outcome would have been good.

Partner camhead

Jan 25, 2012, 4:28 PM
Post #37 of 57 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
And i scored lyme disease from a stupid tick while bouldering last summer. I guess that counts too.

Yeah, you really need to watch out for ticks while bouldering. Those things are everywhere!

Dip

Jan 25, 2012, 4:31 PM
Post #38 of 57 (2518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Dip wrote:
And i scored lyme disease from a stupid tick while bouldering last summer. I guess that counts too.

Yeah, you really need to watch out for ticks while bouldering. Those things are everywhere!

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/55786-largest_67187.jpg[/image]

I knew that was comin... Yet oddly enough i didn't care enough to edit it. Lyme disease from a TIC, not a tick.

lena_chita

Jan 25, 2012, 4:46 PM
Post #39 of 57 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
camhead wrote:
Dip wrote:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/55786-largest_67187.jpg[/image]

I knew that was comin... Yet oddly enough i didn't care enough to edit it. Lyme disease from a TIC, not a tick.

Umm, if you have TICs, you probably have Tourette's Syndrome.

If you got Lyme disease, you probably got it from TICKs.

Dip

Jan 25, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #40 of 57 (2504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Dip wrote:
camhead wrote:
Dip wrote:

I give up. Clearly there is not enough coffee in the world for me to make any sense whatsoever today. So in summary, i got lyme disease from a small parasite with eight legs whose name i apparently have no idea how to spell. The end.

caughtinside

Jan 25, 2012, 5:05 PM
Post #41 of 57 (2492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill413] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill413 wrote:
Wasps.

Discovering that a nest of young copperheads was underneath a flake I had used as an undercling.

Fighting dogs at base.

Incompetent belayers.

Oh yeah... I forgot about the the aggressive pit bull at Potrero Chico. That thing was scary!

TradEddie

Jan 25, 2012, 5:09 PM
Post #42 of 57 (2486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ticks, everywhere, at home, at work, hiking and climbing. Touch wood, no Lyme yet. Three copperheads while climbing, one of which seemed to be trying to mate with my rope! The most scared I've been was when we saw a Lynx. Maybe it wasn't dangerous, but all I knew at the time was that it sure wasn't a bobcat.

TE

potreroed

Jan 25, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #43 of 57 (2480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sp115 wrote:
acorneau - totally worth the hunt.
potreroed - the walls are also covered by 5.12's, no threat of me getting stuck by anything.

We also have hundreds of excellent 10 and under pitches to climb.

Partner camhead

Jan 25, 2012, 5:34 PM
Post #44 of 57 (2475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
Dip wrote:
camhead wrote:
Dip wrote:

I give up. Clearly there is not enough coffee in the world for me to make any sense whatsoever today. So in summary, i got lyme disease from a small parasite with eight legs whose name i apparently have no idea how to spell. The end.

I've heard that on the gritstone, ticks will give you Limie disease.

areyoumydude

Jan 25, 2012, 6:08 PM
Post #45 of 57 (2458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Dip wrote:

Ticks are an invasive species brought here by an even more dangerous animal the Rocky Mountain Gym Rat.

They can be identified by Beenies, no shirt, and green license plates.

Not to be confused with the Rocky Mountain Spurt Tard. Normally only found gangbang top roping at Super Crack Buttress or Battle of the Bulge.

(This post was edited by areyoumydude on Jan 25, 2012, 6:09 PM)

I_do

Jan 25, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #46 of 57 (2452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
I cant believe that no one made the obvious cougar joke yet…

I am severely disappointed!

As for me: No cougars at the crags here…

The benefits of central europe - no dangerous animals apart from ticks. Those stupid fuckers Mad

And of course wasps and bees, but so far my climbing encounters with them ended without problems.

qwert

You have no idea how dangerous a nest of pidgeons is.

Also Taipan, and funnel web spider. Well the web which I guess is not necessaraly dangerous.

Partner cracklover

Jan 25, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #47 of 57 (2415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Numerous rattlesnakes, and my g/f was bitten by a bat while climbing.

In reply to:
chipmunk (viscous)

Yuck. That really sounds gross.

Jay

hey i was bitten by a bat too!!! put my hand into a crack at the top of a climb and the damn thing got me when it flew out.

Did you undergo the whole rabies series?

Jay

I got bit on the finger by a pissed off bat when I stuck my hand in a crack, and did go through the shots.

What a pain in the ass. Tongue

Other than that, just the usual wasps, copperheads, rattlesnakes.

Oh, and a bear stole my brand new camelback in Yosemite. Stupid juvie, didn't know what he was doing. Apparently young problem bear who'd been grabbing stuff for weeks. And my bag had no food in it, never had. Moron juvie bear. I bet my camelback didn't even fit him!

GMad

Partner j_ung

Jan 25, 2012, 7:17 PM
Post #48 of 57 (2410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Dangerous Animals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

meanandugly wrote:
I once encountered a swarm of Giardia lamblia. Those things scared the crap out of me for days.

I've also encountered those. Filthy little bastards.

jolery

Jan 26, 2012, 7:11 PM
Post #49 of 57 (2325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jamesnater wrote:
Anyone ever run into any potentially dangerous animals while hiking or climbing?

Anyone else got any stories?

I had a small bird go crazy on me after climbing an easy trad climb that ended in a large flat shelf with a huge overhang above. While chilling on the ledge near a nest, a bird got over our heads, flapping its wings super slow like it should fall out of the air, and then proceeded to beat itself against the overhanging rock roof over our heads, again and again. Weird but it got us out of there, to be attacked by a rampaging armadillo.

Had a big snake drop 100' from the top of a crag, and land a few feet away from where I was belaying, barely missing the climber. It was dazed for a few minutes before slithering into a crevice. Had a snake chase same climbing partner through the woods, climbing tree branches while it raced through the woods - never seen anything like it.

I've encountered a couple of snakes on holds while bouldering, been bit by a climber's dog, saw a bear en route to a remote Arkansas crag, stung by wasps and bees while climbing, also had a redneck chunk big rocks off the top of a local crag while shouting and laughing hysterically - not right by us, but way too close.

Partner drector

Jan 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
Post #50 of 57 (2287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does a 600 lbs bear opening my garage door count? I have a small wall in the garage so the bear really was near the approach.

Actually, I've seen the bear many times. I'm not sure if he counts as dangerous since throwing a shoe at him seems to make him go away. OK, maybe two or three shoes are necessary.

Dave

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook