RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

Wolfhiker

Jan 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 20 (7795 views)
Shortcut

Harness suggestions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just started climbing again a few weeks ago and want to make it a perminant hobby. I really want to have my own gear and have been looking at harnesses online but really have no idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone suggest a cheaper harness that is suitable for gym climbing? I'm a student and so wanted to stick with the $50ish price range for the sake of being able to afford it and also just in case I stop climbing for some reason.

Also, I haven't been able to find the answer on store sites but what is the difference between a woman's and unisex harness?

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

kennoyce

Jan 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 20 (7784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wolfhiker] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wolfhiker wrote:
I just started climbing again a few weeks ago and want to make it a perminant hobby. I really want to have my own gear and have been looking at harnesses online but really have no idea what I'm looking at. Can anyone suggest a cheaper harness that is suitable for gym climbing? I'm a student and so wanted to stick with the $50ish price range for the sake of being able to afford it and also just in case I stop climbing for some reason.

Also, I haven't been able to find the answer on store sites but what is the difference between a woman's and unisex harness?

A women's specific harness generally has a longer rise (distance from the waist to the legs). Best bet is to go to a shop and hang in a bunch of different ones to see what fits you the best and is most comfortable in your price range.

damienclimber

Jan 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #3 of 20 (7763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kennoyce wrote:
Wolfhiker wrote:

A women's specific harness generally has a longer rise (distance from the waist to the legs). Best bet is to go to a shop and hang in a bunch of different ones to see what fits you the best and is most comfortable in your price range.

I agree, its always best to try on a climbing harness, as well as climbing shoes since comfort and fit are essential.

Not to mention, if you can buy something in person vs online for a similar price its preferable!

You can see what your buying and actually avoid online scams.

marc801

Jan 27, 2012, 1:24 AM
Post #4 of 20 (7749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wolfhiker wrote:
Can anyone suggest a cheaper harness that is suitable for gym climbing?
Yeah, the one that fits best and is comfortable. Maybe trite advice, but it really comes down to just that. As others suggested, go to a store and try some on. Make sure you hang in them for a while. See how easy or difficult it is to tip over when you're hanging. Get face to face advice from someone who knows what they're doing. Your local gym is often a good place to start with these kind of questions.

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 1:28 AM
Post #5 of 20 (7744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why do so many n00bs want to go cheap on the harness but splurge on the shoes?

Traches

Jan 27, 2012, 5:05 AM
Post #6 of 20 (7711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Because a harness doesn't directly impact your climbing ability? Assuming it's a safe harness, the only difference is comfort and convenience, whereas crappy shoes can make certain moves impossible.

Anyway the OP didn't mention shoes, but if she had I'd tell her to do exactly that-- spend money on the shoes, not the harness.

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 5:11 AM
Post #7 of 20 (7708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Because a harness doesn't directly impact your climbing ability? Assuming it's a safe harness, the only difference is comfort and convenience, whereas crappy shoes can make certain moves impossible.

Anyway the OP didn't mention shoes, but if she had I'd tell her to do exactly that-- spend money on the shoes, not the harness.

And be replacing both within 6 months.

theextremist04

Jan 27, 2012, 5:15 AM
Post #8 of 20 (7704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

There are budget harnesses out there that you won't outgrow that quickly. As much as I want a fancy Petzl or Misty Mountain one, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my BD Momentum (that's four years old.)

Traches

Jan 27, 2012, 5:25 AM
Post #9 of 20 (7699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

As opposed to buying crappy shoes that you need to replace in the first month because you can't use certain footholds? I'm not saying splurge, I'm just saying it's better to get decent shoes and a cheap harness than the other way around.

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 6:19 AM
Post #10 of 20 (7695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

As opposed to buying crappy shoes that you need to replace in the first month because you can't use certain footholds? I'm not saying splurge, I'm just saying it's better to get decent shoes and a cheap harness than the other way around.

n00b dunno shit 'bout footwork, whats fancy shooz gunna do?

Urban_Cowboy

Jan 27, 2012, 6:34 AM
Post #11 of 20 (7690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Make 'em look kewler than other n00bz. Sly

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #12 of 20 (7617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Urban_Cowboy] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Urban_Cowboy wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Exac-attack-tly

I'm not saying to buy arc'teryx, but just something you're going to be happy with for the next 3-5 years, don't fear the extra $10-20

granite_grrl

Jan 27, 2012, 2:51 PM
Post #13 of 20 (7580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dated this guy who got into climbing while he was with me. He bought some middle of the road shoes at the time (some Scarpa Reflexes, which I rather liked at the time), but then picked up a super cheap harness.

I can't remember what one it was, but I think it was the same ones that the gym would use for rentals. Probably something like this: http://www.mec.ca/...c-harness-unisex.jsp

I just let him go with it, knowing that he didn't know any better and assuming that he was never going to climb again after I left the area after my workterm was over. I did feel bad that the shoes were going to go to waste though.

Wolfhiker

Jan 27, 2012, 4:08 PM
Post #14 of 20 (7564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One reason I'm wanting to go a little cheaper is because I'm not sure what my job or life will be like in the next 4 months once I graduate. So I'd prefer to not spend 150 on a harness and 200 on shoes that I canny afford anyway if I may not be able to climb much at all due to time restrictions or whatever. Shoe wise I went to Summit the other day and they had 3 styles in my size, Five Tens, Nago and dome Velcro one called the Tarantula. I liked the fit of the Nagos but am going to try on more this weekend, the Nagos were $99. And no I don't know much about toe holds but I'm learning very quickly.

Urban_Cowboy

Jan 27, 2012, 4:16 PM
Post #15 of 20 (7560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wolfhiker wrote:
<snip>And no I don't know much about toe holds but I'm learning very quickly.
That's exactly why your first pair of shoes should be inexpensive. Your going to blow through the toes much faster as a beginner and you don't have good enough foot work to benefit from high performance kicks anyway.

As for the harness, I don't know. I went with a Mammut with adjustable legs. Still have it, still like it, but knowing what I do now my next one will have some different "features".

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 4:47 PM
Post #16 of 20 (7551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Idjit! I said to consider taking your $50 cap up an extra $10-20. Nowhere did anyone say to spend $150 on a harness.

Good thing you know how to read.

ChalkIsCheap

Jan 27, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #17 of 20 (7539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Urban_Cowboy wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Traches wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Exac-attack-tly

I'm not saying to buy arc'teryx, but just something you're going to be happy with for the next 3-5 years, don't fear the extra $10-20[/quote]

What's wrong with buying an arc'teryx for your first harness???
My first set I got used and in the first month I abused my shoes and found what I hated about my harness. One month later I upgraded my shoes to a pair for fresh katana's and bought me an arc'teryx harness. It's a year and a half later and I am happy with them both. Shoes are still in great shape and have a lot of life left in them. Getting cheap/used gear can be good to find out what you want and get you past the learning phase where your footwork gets better.

Expensive shoes will not make good footwork, but bad footwork will destroy expensive shoes.

Kartessa

Jan 27, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #18 of 20 (7530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChalkIsCheap] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ChalkIsCheap wrote:

What's wrong with buying an arc'teryx for your first harness???
My first set I got used and in the first month I abused my shoes and found what I hated about my harness. One month later I upgraded my shoes to a pair for fresh katana's and bought me an arc'teryx harness. .

But you're rich :p

bearbreeder

Jan 27, 2012, 7:26 PM
Post #19 of 20 (7520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChalkIsCheap] Harness suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive had 3 dead birds 350a harness die on me the last 3 years ... fortunately MEC just takes em back and gives me a credit ...

the last one dies around oct/nov or so ... i just went back to my old BD momentum which works just fine

while i dont recommend a beginner buy expensive shoes ... i dont recommend anyone buy a $$$$$$ harness ...

think of it this way ... shoes can make a real difference in yr climbing at a certain point ... a harness???? ... as long as it fits and has the features ... anything more is to impress the gym bunnies ...

im sure someone will mention the light weight of the dead birds ... honestly if you need to save 100g ... either take a dump pre-send ... or climb in yr underwear, not those heavy prana cotton pants ...

mitchy

Jan 28, 2012, 2:25 PM
Post #20 of 20 (7464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you want a nice harness, misty mountain is the way to go. I've owned a ton of harnesses, last few years i've been a cadillac man.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook