Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
Shoulder Dislocating. Doesn't Feel Good.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

venomous72

Jan 31, 2012, 1:15 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2384 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder Dislocating. Doesn't Feel Good.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I have had bad shoulders since high school when I played football. My right one started dislocating quite a bit. It hurt. I ended up getting surgery, and instead of doing my PT I decided to be an impatient teenager and just dislocate it some more by ignoring doctor's orders.

Yeah, that was my bad.

Anyway, I have only dislocated it twice in my 9 months of climbing. Once top roping, and then last monday bouldering. I am feeling fine now and back to climbing, but I still am hesitant to make reachy right handed moves because I have a loose feeling in the shoulder still.

So, climbing gurus, do you all have any advice on exercises I should be doing to help tighten my shoulder?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

ky2a

Jan 31, 2012, 4:17 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [venomous72] Shoulder Dislocating. Doesn't Feel Good. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well can you tell us a little about your build? are you skinny.. large tall short etc...
Because you can strengthen the shoulder muscles and attaching muscles around it... and also increase their sizes etc.... and this could in a way help minimize dislocation.. but considering your history I think it will kinda come and go...

DrNubbins

Jan 31, 2012, 4:29 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've subluxated my shoulder before, luckily got a great PT who came up with a personalized plan that really sped up my recovery. The key word there is personalized. I strongly suggest you go back to your PT.. he/she can evaluate your specific situation. Next, listen to the PT this time and do what they say, rather than trying a bunch of exercises random people on the internet give you.

Also, when I messed mine up I wasn't able to climb at all for 3 months.. Climbing on it a week after a full dislocation is probably a horrible idea.

venomous72

Feb 2, 2012, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ky2a] Shoulder Dislocating. Doesn't Feel Good. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am 6'2 and about 180 pounds, pretty muscular build. The problem is the larger muscles around the shoulders are built up but its the 'little guys' inside the shoulder that are now weakened. I have taken a few days off and am going today to try some moderate problems to see how it does.

And the secondposter reminded me of the phrase I was searching for. Shoulder subluxations are what I suffer from. They are inconvenient when climbing, to say the least.

onceahardman

Feb 3, 2012, 2:15 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a former bilateral recurrent dislocator and current PT, I can vouch for you learning how to strengthen your rotator cuffs.

Find a good PT. Don't just cheap out and watch youtube vids of it. You'll need those shoulders for years.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook