RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Tyler_Kaz

Feb 23, 2012, 9:15 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Repeat pulling of neck muscle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello all,

I've been climbing for a little over a year now, and I absolutely love it. However, typically about once a month I end up pulling a neck muscle (i believe it is the left trapezius, runs from the left side of my neck down the left side of my spine). It is extremely painful and I'm usually out for about 5 days. It only happens when I'm either dynoing or doing campus training, both pretty jarring exercises. Any tips to prevent this from happening, exercises to increase strength or stretching tips?

Partner j_ung

Feb 24, 2012, 1:00 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3072 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tyler_Kaz] Repeat pulling of neck muscle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tyler_Kaz wrote:
Hello all,

I've been climbing for a little over a year now, and I absolutely love it. However, typically about once a month I end up pulling a neck muscle (i believe it is the left trapezius, runs from the left side of my neck down the left side of my spine). It is extremely painful and I'm usually out for about 5 days. It only happens when I'm either dynoing or doing campus training, both pretty jarring exercises. Any tips to prevent this from happening, exercises to increase strength or stretching tips?

I go through similar spells of multiple problems in a row, every 6-9 months. When it happens, it usually means I need to see my chiropractor.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Feb 24, 2012, 1:01 AM)

Remi9

Apr 3, 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have gone through the same exact problem over the past 15 years. Sometimes all it took was sleeping in the wrong position or moving my neck too quickly during strenuous activity. What has stopped this injury from reoccurring for me is strength training in the gym. Here is what I would recommend:

Warming up is better then stretching. Do shoulder rolls, shrugs and low weight versions of the exercises listed below:

For all the exercises below form and technique are very important. Use slow full extension movement. Don't "bounce", take effort to stop for a heartbeat at the beginning and end of each movement. Use Dumbbells or Barbells in place of machines whenever possible.

Google each exercise name for videos or images of proper technique.

Barbell Bent-over Row
Bar Upright Row
One-arm Dumbbell Row
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
One-arm seated cable row
T-bar Bent-over row
Barbell 2sec hold shrugs
Arnold Press
Dumbbell front raise

Of course I would not recommend doing only these exercises, do them in addition to other exercises. You would be surprised how often you use you traps even when doing completely unrelated motions.

Also keep in mind that doing these very exercises will more then likely cause you to injure your traps in the short term. But as time goes on as your body continual strengthens your trap muscles and their connections to your skeletal system they will diminish in intensity and duration of injury.

johnwesely

Apr 3, 2012, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try sleeping on latex pillow. They feel sort of weird at first but really support your neck.

atpclimbing

Apr 3, 2012, 1:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

How about 1. not dynoing. 2. not campusing?

You've been climbing for only a year. You should really skip out on both.
1.Dynoing (for the most part) is a party trick. Learn some real technique.
2.Campusing should be reserved for later in your climbing career. When you've been climbing for only a short time, you'll gain more from technique training and strength exercises that offset what all the climbing you do does to your body.

Avoiding injury (imo) is one of the keys to improvement. Campusing and dynoing are both good ways to get injured. Skip out on the stuff that leaves you hurting!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook