RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rmcaven0305

Mar 1, 2012, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 10 (5794 views)
Shortcut

NC Hiking Climbing Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys I am planning a trip to NC in April. I am new to climbing and have been indoor climbing for 6 months. I would like to find a good hiking/climbing route that will last a few days. Does anyone have any good suggestions of some good routes?

Also I am interested in finding some partners to climb with.

SlacklifeNC

Mar 1, 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmcaven0305] NC Hiking Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where will you be staying? There is a number of places to go within 2-3 hours of charlotte. As for a hiking and climbing route that will last a few days, there really isn't one. You can camp at most of the climbing areas, as they have dedicated camping grounds, but you would be doing the same hike in everyday. If you are looking for great bouldering I would suggest Rumbling Bald in Lake Lure or Grandmonther boulders in Boone. If you are willing to go to about 4 hours to the New River Gorge in West Virginia, there is great sport climbing there.

Partner j_ung

Mar 1, 2012, 1:27 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rmcaven0305 wrote:
Hey guys I am planning a trip to NC in April. I am new to climbing and have been indoor climbing for 6 months. I would like to find a good hiking/climbing route that will last a few days. Does anyone have any good suggestions of some good routes?

It would probably be a good idea to stay away from technical climbing at this point, but that certainly doesn't leave you with no options. On the contrary...

I'd think about the Shining Rock area up on the Blue Ridge Parkway or Linville Gorge. Both will give you multiple days worth of beautiful backpacking and provide you with a ton of bouldering opportunities along the way.

dagibbs

Mar 1, 2012, 4:25 PM
Post #4 of 10 (5723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Part of the Appalachian Trail passes through North Carolina -- you might consider section-hiking on it. I'm sure you'll find at least some scrambling and possibly bouldering -- if not outright climbing -- along it.

ChessRonin

Mar 9, 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] NC Hiking Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
rmcaven0305 wrote:

It would probably be a good idea to stay away from technical climbing at this point, but that certainly doesn't leave you with no options. On the contrary...

I'd think about the Shining Rock area up on the Blue Ridge Parkway or Linville Gorge. Both will give you multiple days worth of beautiful backpacking and provide you with a ton of bouldering opportunities along the way.

If you have no outdoor climbing experience, then a climbing/backpacking trip seems like the worst idea ever (unless you want to end up in A.N.A.M., or worse). Unless of course you are led by a guide or super-experienced individual.

That said, I second the above recommendation. Shining Rock is a fantastic destination, and should be absolutely beautiful in April.

Check out Backpacking North Carolina by Joe Miller. It has absolutely tons of great trips and trip beta. I used it for a Shining Rock backpacking trip and could not have been more satisfied/prepared!

Good luck, be safe, have fun!

bigredscowboy

Mar 13, 2012, 4:35 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5511 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason you will not find good advice on accessible climbing for newbs in NC is because it is sparse. The NC climbing ethic began as ground up (with a hammer and drill bit) and that ethic continues at most popular climbing areas. The consequent is that most climbing in NC is not TR accessible or even sport-friendly (unless you like 'R' ratings). There are small crags that do provide such climbing but not several days worth of climbing and hiking. Plus, many tend to be heavily guarded, particularly so that newbies don't have to be evac'ed out.

Crowder's Mountain is the official TR/newb area where I have heard the sketchiest of sketchiness happens. It is not particularly the best hiking in NC and I'm not sure about sleeping in the park.

Bouldering is probably your best bet. There are lots of trails around Blowing rock with bouldering almost every 1/4 mile (But I don't think you can legally spend the night). Check out http://www.highcountryhiking.com/directory.htmespecially Cone Manor (294) to Linville Falls (316)

TarHeelEMT

Mar 14, 2012, 2:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you know how to set your own top-rope anchors, you may want to look into the Chimneys at Linville Gorge. You could stay busy with the hiking there for several weeks, and I'm pretty sure the tops of some of the chimneys are accessible by a non-technical scramble.

I'd contact the Outward Bound folks at Linville to see if you can't get more information about it.

Good luck and have fun.

For clarification: The chimneys are in the Table Rock area. Go south on the Mountains to Sea trail, and you'll be there after about 1/2 a mile.

(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Mar 14, 2012, 4:15 PM)

rsmillbern

Mar 14, 2012, 2:41 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the Table Rock area for camping/hiking. I am missing that area...

Pilot Mountain offers some TR climbing as well.

Rmsyll2

Mar 15, 2012, 4:55 AM
Post #9 of 10 (5445 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

'rsmilbern', not me, raised the mention of Pilot Mtn., which is known and despised along with Crowded Mtn. as n00b central. There are numerous top-rope routes there at the lower end of the difficulty scale, which should be manageable for a gym climber. There is a campground in the park, and about ten miles of hiking trails winding around the same mountain. And Hanging Rock S.P. is a short drive, with many more miles of trails, campground, and Moore's Wall with no TR but a fabulous boulder field. If it was convenient to start there and continue to the others mentioned, you would get some climbing, some hiking, some camping, some driving, some variety of scenery, and some better idea of where you would want to return for a more focused vacation some other time. But climbing is not commonly for solo, no matter what the plan otherwise. Especially Crowder and Pilot get much traffic in high season, so you might be able to get on a rope.

tower_climber

Mar 27, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Look into climbing and hiking in Pisgah. You could hike for days out there and the area has several accessible crags.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook