Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
The effects of smoking on climbing ability.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ceebo

Feb 14, 2012, 5:38 PM
Post #1 of 37 (22986 views)
Shortcut

The effects of smoking on climbing ability.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Carbon monoxide replacing oxygen and the body needing more time to repair as a result of the damage brought on by smoking are the only 2 effects i know of that have direct implications to climbing ability.

Anybody know some more?.

Im trying to quit smoking (almost a week), saving money.. living longer and ofc being able to climb longer and/or harder are all huge helping factors in motivation.

Dip

Feb 14, 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #2 of 37 (22976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Carbon monoxide replacing oxygen and the body needing more time to repair as a result of the damage brought on by smoking are the only 2 effects i know of that have direct implications to climbing ability.

Anybody know some more?.

Im trying to quit smoking (almost a week), saving money.. living longer and ofc being able to climb longer and/or harder are all huge helping factors in motivation.

I quit smoking yummy delicious cigarettes roughly three months ago, and i have not noticed anything different whatsoever, except the annoying feeling that something is missing from in between climbs.

Partner j_ung

Feb 14, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #3 of 37 (22924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

Stick with it!

http://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be

Kartessa

Feb 15, 2012, 3:49 AM
Post #4 of 37 (22836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dip] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dip wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

I quit smoking yummy delicious cigarettes roughly three months ago, and i have not noticed anything different whatsoever, except the annoying feeling that something is missing from in between climbs.

Zis iz why zee French invented zee grigri:
so you can smoke zee cigarette and belay!

dan2see

Feb 15, 2012, 4:56 AM
Post #5 of 37 (22811 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Carbon monoxide replaces some of the oxygen in your hemoglobin, and your entire body is automatically challenged.

Chronic carbon monoxide hardens the capillaries, preventing them from flexing with the pulse. This is hypertension. Your challenge with this is, it reduces blood circulation in your muscles.

When you are climbing, you raise your forearms to reach your hold, and you need those muscles for grip. Pretty soon they run out of oxygen (which is already reduced in your hemoglobin) and you're pumped.

So if you quit smoking today, then tomorrow you should expect more endurance.

But your entire body has been chronically challenged, and different tissues suffer in their own ways.

The blood supply in your skin is minimal. Well the follicles of your hair (all over your body) needs oxygen for its growth and maintenance. Eventually the chronic starvation kills the follicles, and you will see bald areas -- no not on your head: on your extremities. Starting on your toes and fingers, then on your lower legs. It looks like your athletic activity is causing the hair to get worn off, but in fact the hair is dead.

It's permanent. My lower legs are bald from that. In summer, folks ask me if I shave my legs? Also my fingers, and the backs of my hands.

I knew a guy whose skin went further than that. He started getting infection on his skin. It kept happening, and it wouldn't go away, because he couldn't get enough oxygen and white cells into his skin. Eventually gangrene set in, at different places and times, and they had to amputate first one leg, then the other. He never learned how to walk that way, he lived for a while in a wheel chair. I never saw him after that.

You can guarantee that you have some emphysema. It disables your lungs, starting at the bottom and working its way up. It's impossible to guess how advanced, not without a lung-function test. Emphysema is also permanent. You can still breath OK, but it takes longer to catch your breath -- your total endurance is compromised.

That's just the effects on climbing ability. But don't forget, you smell unpleasant, and all your friends know it.

Oh one more thing: money! In Canada, a pack of cigarettes costs $9.00 (I think) -- every pack is the price of a BD Stopper, or a DMM straight-gate biner. A carton of smokes would buy gasoline to drive you and your buddies to the crags and back for a month. Two cartons buys a pair of 5-10 climbing shoes.

jt512

Feb 15, 2012, 6:12 AM
Post #6 of 37 (22794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Dip wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

Then they developed the Grigri 2, so named because it frees up both hands.

Jay

Dip

Feb 15, 2012, 1:09 PM
Post #7 of 37 (22739 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Oh one more thing: money! In Canada, a pack of cigarettes costs $9.00 (I think) -- every pack is the price of a BD Stopper, or a DMM straight-gate biner. A carton of smokes would buy gasoline to drive you and your buddies to the crags and back for a month. Two cartons buys a pair of 5-10 climbing shoes

And there's your winner. Although it's not quite 9.00 a pack here (more like 7ish), there is no way to justify spending that kind of loot on a drug that doesn't even give you a buzz.

granite_grrl

Feb 15, 2012, 1:32 PM
Post #8 of 37 (22732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Dip wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

I totally climbed with an Itallian dude like that. Though "belaying' was maybe a little generous in terms of what he was doing with the grigri.

ceebo

Feb 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #9 of 37 (22634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Carbon monoxide replaces some of the oxygen in your hemoglobin, and your entire body is automatically challenged.

Chronic carbon monoxide hardens the capillaries, preventing them from flexing with the pulse. This is hypertension. Your challenge with this is, it reduces blood circulation in your muscles.

When you are climbing, you raise your forearms to reach your hold, and you need those muscles for grip. Pretty soon they run out of oxygen (which is already reduced in your hemoglobin) and you're pumped.

So if you quit smoking today, then tomorrow you should expect more endurance.

But your entire body has been chronically challenged, and different tissues suffer in their own ways.

The blood supply in your skin is minimal. Well the follicles of your hair (all over your body) needs oxygen for its growth and maintenance. Eventually the chronic starvation kills the follicles, and you will see bald areas -- no not on your head: on your extremities. Starting on your toes and fingers, then on your lower legs. It looks like your athletic activity is causing the hair to get worn off, but in fact the hair is dead.

It's permanent. My lower legs are bald from that. In summer, folks ask me if I shave my legs? Also my fingers, and the backs of my hands.

I knew a guy whose skin went further than that. He started getting infection on his skin. It kept happening, and it wouldn't go away, because he couldn't get enough oxygen and white cells into his skin. Eventually gangrene set in, at different places and times, and they had to amputate first one leg, then the other. He never learned how to walk that way, he lived for a while in a wheel chair. I never saw him after that.

You can guarantee that you have some emphysema. It disables your lungs, starting at the bottom and working its way up. It's impossible to guess how advanced, not without a lung-function test. Emphysema is also permanent. You can still breath OK, but it takes longer to catch your breath -- your total endurance is compromised.

That's just the effects on climbing ability. But don't forget, you smell unpleasant, and all your friends know it.

Oh one more thing: money! In Canada, a pack of cigarettes costs $9.00 (I think) -- every pack is the price of a BD Stopper, or a DMM straight-gate biner. A carton of smokes would buy gasoline to drive you and your buddies to the crags and back for a month. Two cartons buys a pair of 5-10 climbing shoes.

I get the feeling i'm not going to see any of the savings thnx to my compulsive buying better half.

Oh i don't want to know the mysterys of the univers.. nor what comes after death. I would be content in knowing why the fk they buy so much useless shit Crazy.

Hypocritical irony ofc, given the topic.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Feb 17, 2012, 12:07 AM)

petsfed

Feb 17, 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #10 of 37 (22614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I found that my endurance improved as my lung performance improved, if only because I was able to get more oxygen with each breath. For bouldering or short routes, you won't notice a difference while on the route. Your recovery between routes (and your resting efficiency while on route) will improve dramatically.

Also, you'll save a lot of money.

caughtinside

Feb 17, 2012, 1:29 AM
Post #11 of 37 (22604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Dip wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

I totally climbed with an Itallian dude like that. Though "belaying' was maybe a little generous in terms of what he was doing with the grigri.

Europeans can do two things without dying that Americans cant: smoke their asses off and belay no-handed.

dan2see

Feb 17, 2012, 1:32 AM
Post #12 of 37 (22598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
I get the feeling i'm not going to see any of the savings thnx to my compulsive buying better half.

Oh i don't want to know the mysterys of the univers.. nor what comes after death. I would be content in knowing why the fk they buy so much useless shit Crazy.

Hypocritical irony ofc, given the topic.

Tell her she stinks and send her out of house until she washes.

Tell her you don't want your own clothes to smell of smoke, so send them out for professional cleaning, and give her the bill.

Post the phone number for your doctor, and keep it handy for her eminent stroke, heart attack, and pneumonia.

Get insurance for cancer treatments, and funeral, and make sure she pays the premiums every month.

ryntak

Feb 17, 2012, 4:25 AM
Post #13 of 37 (22564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:

Just in response to the emphysema, at first you can still breathe okay. Eventually walking ten paces will have you winded. At that point you can kiss climbing goodbye.

Actually that might not be a good idea, you might be winded just from that.

Did I mention being on oxygen for the rest of your life? All assuming that you don't die of lung cancer before this.

dan2see

Feb 17, 2012, 4:59 AM
Post #14 of 37 (22555 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryntak] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ryntak wrote:
dan2see wrote:
You can guarantee that you have some emphysema. ...

Just in response to the emphysema, at first you can still breathe okay. Eventually ...

We're both talking scary. But actually it doesn't have to be as bad as all that.

For my own case, I scramble in the mountains every weekend. I limit myself to 1000 meters elevation gain, or 15 km distance. Which is fine for me.

You can see my picture on my avatar icon thingy. That's me with the legs.
The mountains in the background are Exshaw, Goat, and Fable. Just beyond the picture's borders are Heart, Pidgeon, and Yamnuska. I've been on all of those summits, and I've climbed the crags on them, too. With bare legs that I don't have to shave.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Feb 17, 2012, 5:00 AM)

USnavy

Feb 17, 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #15 of 37 (22503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

Anybody know some more?.

Most climbers also notice they dont die at 40 from lung cancer when they quit smoking. I'd say thats probably the biggest reason to quit.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Feb 17, 2012, 10:14 AM)

donwanadi

Feb 17, 2012, 2:40 PM
Post #16 of 37 (22455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only place I noticed a difference was in intense mountain biking. There were a few hills that always just seemed to get the better of me. After a few months, I got an edge, whereas the previous season, no matter how much I rode, I stopped seeing improvement.

Also I was able to get my resting pulse down in the 40s during MTB season which would never happen while smoking.

(This post was edited by donwanadi on Feb 17, 2012, 9:39 PM)

majid_sabet

Feb 17, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #17 of 37 (22393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read somewhere that some people who smoke can climb better in higher altitude and I remember once I was working my ass off climbing a vertical ice wall at 20k and once I reached the summit, the local sherpas were smoking LOL

Partner j_ung

Feb 17, 2012, 5:56 PM
Post #18 of 37 (22378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I read somewhere that some people who smoke can climb better in higher altitude and I remember once I was working my ass off climbing a vertical ice wall at 20k and once I reached the summit, the local sherpas were smoking LOL

There might be something to that. I was in Ecuador in the early nineties when I was a heavy smoker. Above 16k or so, it was the only way I could really stretch the ol' lungs. Of course, I was also a hell of a lot younger than. If I tried that shit now...

majid_sabet

Feb 17, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #19 of 37 (22349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess the science behind is that smokers are already adjusted to low O2 in their system and that is why in certain conditions they could do better but not for a long time. I was surprise to see three Sherpas sitting on top smoking and having a good time like nothing was happening where we were suffering from lack of O2.

nextjoedeleny

Mar 4, 2012, 3:53 AM
Post #20 of 37 (21950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm new to climbing, so I cant say how obvious the effects are, but Im also a biochem major, and going into medical research and I will say that quitting should reduce any burn in the muscles. That burn is caused by lactic acid, which is formed during anaerobic respiration (when cells need energy, but have no oxygen). So, naturally if you cann breath and get more oxygen, you're gonna postpone that burn.
From a fellow quitter, good luck!Smile

aerili

Mar 5, 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #21 of 37 (21809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nextjoedeleny] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nextjoedeleny wrote:
Im also a biochem major, and going into medical research and I will say that quitting should reduce any burn in the muscles. That burn is caused by lactic acid, which is formed during anaerobic respiration (when cells need energy, but have no oxygen).
I think it's really the hydrogen ions that may irritate nerve endings and cause the perception of pain (burn).

To my knowledge, lactic acid really doesn't exist in the body (except perhaps transiently before dissociation).

Traches

Mar 5, 2012, 11:02 PM
Post #22 of 37 (21802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
I think it's really the hydrogen ions that may irritate nerve endings and cause the perception of pain (burn).

To my knowledge, lactic acid really doesn't exist in the body (except perhaps transiently before dissociation).

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that goes against everything I've ever heard about exercise-- muscle burn comes from a buildup of lactic acid, which is a result of anaerobic breakdown of glucose molecules. How does lactic acid get broken down?

aerili

Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #23 of 37 (21786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Traches] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traches wrote:
I'm not saying you're wrong, but that goes against everything I've ever heard about exercise-- muscle burn comes from a buildup of lactic acid, which is a result of anaerobic breakdown of glucose molecules. How does lactic acid get broken down?
Note my use of the word 'transiently'. Lactic acid dissociates immediately into lactate and hydrogen ions once produced I believe.

nextjoedeleny

Mar 6, 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #24 of 37 (21758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this is similar to how hydrochloric acid dissociates into H+ and Cl-, but a solution of it is still termed hydrochloric acid. anyways, i think we've all had decent points, but i think this just became more of a science class.

aerili

Mar 6, 2012, 3:47 AM
Post #25 of 37 (21723 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nextjoedeleny] The effects of smoking on climbing ability. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nextjoedeleny wrote:
this is similar to how hydrochloric acid dissociates into H+ and Cl-, but a solution of it is still termed hydrochloric acid. anyways, i think we've all had decent points, but i think this just became more of a science class.
Right but I think the difference is that the body does a lot of STUFF asap to buffer and remove those hydrogen ions and the lactate is left behind to be used in other ways. It doesn't just hang around together and do the typical dissociation back and forth like an aqueous solution.

Not to mention the lactate is often used immediately via a shuttle as fuel to continue exercise.

(This post was edited by aerili on Mar 6, 2012, 3:49 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook