Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

superchuffer

Mar 29, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #51 of 104 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I agree with the op. The mags need to give as much props to 50 the year olds that do v12 as a kids. Kids repair quickly and weigh nothing.the sport is quickly moving towards glorifying anorexic, stressed out girls, just like gymnastics.

shockabuku

Mar 29, 2012, 5:27 PM
Post #52 of 104 (3696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
I agree with the op. The mags need to give as much props to 50 the year olds that do v12 as a kids. Kids repair quickly and weigh nothing.the sport is quickly moving towards glorifying anorexic, stressed out girls, just like gymnastics.

Very few of them exhibit any signs of anorexia or undue stress.

ceebo

Mar 29, 2012, 5:41 PM
Post #53 of 104 (3689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fsacb3] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You describe climbing like it is some horrid 9 till 5.

More on topic. For kids to stay focused on one thing for the duration in this age of computer power and liberal upbringings is worth credit in itself.

Partner cracklover

Mar 29, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #54 of 104 (3682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I started climbing when I was 28. I was a pretty natural climber, and it's in my blood, I just didn't happen to stumble into it until then.

I'm aware of the fact that since I started so late I'll never reach the potential I might have if I'd started when I was younger. But I'm fine with that. And part of what makes me so okay about that is something that I think the OP is trying to voice.

If I were a kid and I started now, and were pretty good at it, climbing would be all about gym climbing, comps, and numbers. That's not how I see climbing, and, personally, I'm very grateful I don't have that perspective.

Perhaps the OP feels similarly, but, unlike me, projects his feelings onto the sport in general. I make no claims about what might be best for Akima, or anyone else.

I admit, though, I do kinda wish the climbing world was not quite as it is. If I were to have a kid, and they had the natural talent and interest to be really good at climbing, I would feel like a shithead to keep them out of the circuit, where, no doubt, all their friends would be. Yeah, I could never do that. I guess I'd just have to subtly do my best to introduce the idea that climbing means more than that, also.

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 8:29 PM
Post #55 of 104 (3655 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

those kids will be some of the strongest trad and ice climbers in the world when they grow up ...

emily harrington won a recent ice climbing championship ... kevin jorgessen was doing the dawn wall with tommy caldwell ... david lama did the FFA of a certain controversial climb on Cerro Torre with 30 foot 5.13 runnouts and 60 foot 5.12 runnouts ... chris sharma and adam ondra are perhaps the best sports climbers in the world, and mr ondra has done a sick multipitch wall in madagascar

theres a similar reason why ESPN aint showing some old weekend warrior farts playing in their "hardcore" hockey in their after work leagues ... people want to see the best or most daring ...

sadly im not even close to being that Tongue

superchuffer

Mar 29, 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #56 of 104 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the people you mention aren't children; they went through puberty.

bearbreeder

Mar 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #57 of 104 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unlike you ? Wink

they were all kids once who climbed .. some little girl pulling v13 is amazing

these "kids" will outclimb you, I and everyone else here ... and be the people who will push climbing to the next level in the future

https://vimeo.com/38334384

when such people like alex huber, lynn hill, etc ... are all excited about what these kids can do in the future ... i think its typical that a few RCers will fell neglected that they arent getting the same attention in their 5.9 projects Tongue

jakedatc

Mar 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #58 of 104 (3630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:
the people you mention aren't children; they went through puberty.

they started when they were kids you dumb fuck.

again ie daniel woods, sasha, vasya, adam ondra, alex puccio, alex johnson, cicada.

all pulled harder than you before they could drive.

shockabuku

Mar 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #59 of 104 (3615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I started climbing when I was 28. I was a pretty natural climber, and it's in my blood, I just didn't happen to stumble into it until then.

I'm aware of the fact that since I started so late I'll never reach the potential I might have if I'd started when I was younger. But I'm fine with that. And part of what makes me so okay about that is something that I think the OP is trying to voice.

If I were a kid and I started now, and were pretty good at it, climbing would be all about gym climbing, comps, and numbers. That's not how I see climbing, and, personally, I'm very grateful I don't have that perspective.

Perhaps the OP feels similarly, but, unlike me, projects his feelings onto the sport in general. I make no claims about what might be best for Akima, or anyone else.

I admit, though, I do kinda wish the climbing world was not quite as it is. If I were to have a kid, and they had the natural talent and interest to be really good at climbing, I would feel like a shithead to keep them out of the circuit, where, no doubt, all their friends would be. Yeah, I could never do that. I guess I'd just have to subtly do my best to introduce the idea that climbing means more than that, also.

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

So I have a kid who started climbing at 14. She joined a team, got really involved, started competing and did very well. We climbed all over the local couple of states where we lived (outside) and I even got her to go trad climbing with me at Eldo once. Then she finished high school, went to college in an area with, at best, a mediocre gym and very little sport climbing in the region. Now she's learning to trad climb and is captain of her school's climbing team.

If they enjoy it, really, truly, all the rest will follow.

If not, they were just dabbling, regardless of how successfully, and that's probably okay.

Kids take time to grow into things.

clee03m

Mar 30, 2012, 4:28 AM
Post #60 of 104 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [polishbob] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Polishbob, I just saw your video on Drew. Pretty incredible kid! Nice video. I really liked your ending.

To OP, I would be just as impressed if some old guy with a job and kids free climbed city park or redpointed vicious fish. Sure, I cheer my friends on in their achievements even if they are not news worthy. But in sponsored athletes, I'm expecting to see extraordinary stuff.

sknowlton

Mar 30, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #61 of 104 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:

More on topic. For kids to stay focused on one thing for the duration in this age of computer power and liberal upbringings is worth credit in itself.

Quoted for psoterity and to warm the misguided.

shockabuku

Mar 30, 2012, 2:57 PM
Post #62 of 104 (3510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sknowlton wrote:
ceebo wrote:

And again.Crazy

sknowlton

Mar 30, 2012, 3:30 PM
Post #63 of 104 (3499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
sknowlton wrote:
ceebo wrote:

And again.Crazy

Damn Posterity. Laugh

Partner cracklover

Mar 30, 2012, 4:12 PM
Post #64 of 104 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sknowlton wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
sknowlton wrote:
ceebo wrote:

And again.Crazy

Damn Posterity. Laugh

And, why, precisely, are the misguided in need of warmth? Did they get misguided out into the cold? Besides, I find ceebo's posts more chilling than warming.

GO

Partner cracklover

Mar 30, 2012, 4:20 PM
Post #65 of 104 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

So I have a kid who started climbing at 14. She joined a team, got really involved, started competing and did very well. We climbed all over the local couple of states where we lived (outside) and I even got her to go trad climbing with me at Eldo once. Then she finished high school, went to college in an area with, at best, a mediocre gym and very little sport climbing in the region. Now she's learning to trad climb and is captain of her school's climbing team.

If not, they were just dabbling, regardless of how successfully, and that's probably okay.

That's a nice story to hear. Still, in college and after college, your daughter may broaden her horizons, or maybe not. And is she typical, or more the exception?

I think if I were a kid growing up these days and I were in the comp climbing circuit, I'd be all into it... until I burnt out. And then I'd be left with all the negative associations of however it ended. I'm not sure how I'd find the space to let in the rest of what climbing means.

I mean, I did gymnastics when I was a kid. I could probably still press up from sitting into a handstand (though I'd pay for it later lol) - but gymnastics is in no way part of my life now. For most kids now, is that what climbing will become?

GO

shockabuku

Mar 30, 2012, 4:43 PM
Post #66 of 104 (3471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

That's a nice story to hear. Still, in college and after college, your daughter may broaden her horizons, or maybe not. And is she typical, or more the exception?

I think if I were a kid growing up these days and I were in the comp climbing circuit, I'd be all into it... until I burnt out. And then I'd be left with all the negative associations of however it ended. I'm not sure how I'd find the space to let in the rest of what climbing means.

I mean, I did gymnastics when I was a kid. I could probably still press up from sitting into a handstand (though I'd pay for it later lol) - but gymnastics is in no way part of my life now. For most kids now, is that what climbing will become?

GO

It's hard to say but here's what I know.

Girls seem to peak in their participation around 15 years of age then drop off after that, boys seem to last a little longer with (probably) lower drop out rates.

Unlike most sports, you can continue in climbing without organized teams, leagues, etc., well into adulthood. Although organized teams are now springing up in most colleges and USA Climbing supports a competitive collegiate climbing series. The college teams seem like an interesting social function for previous youth competitive climbers to interact with peers who may run the gamut from non-climbers just starting out to people who view comp climbing as antithetical to their climbing ideals. It's an interesting mixing pot (though I admit I've only seen two of them at this point).

Is my daughter unique in her experience? Probably not. I was just out in Clear Creek the other week and ran into two kids (~14 yrs) from the BRC team walking up the road with one of their father's who did the driving and some of the belaying. They're out there, not all of them, but they are.

When my youngest went from soccer to climbing she said something to the effect of 'You know what I like about climbing? Everyone is encouraging and there's not the petty bitchiness that you have in many other sports.' I guess the other issue is that most coaches don't drive the competitive atmosphere like you see in a lot of other sports. It's really up to the kid to decide how competitive they want to be. My son has been on the same team that my daughters have been for the last few years (two different teams) and he doesn't compete. He just goes to be a better climber and have fun. They don't necessarily view climbing the way you and I do, yet, but some of it gets in.

Partner cracklover

Mar 30, 2012, 5:07 PM
Post #67 of 104 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

GO

It's hard to say but here's what I know.

Girls seem to peak in their participation around 15 years of age then drop off after that, boys seem to last a little longer with (probably) lower drop out rates.

Unlike most sports, you can continue in climbing without organized teams, leagues, etc., well into adulthood. Although organized teams are now springing up in most colleges and USA Climbing supports a competitive collegiate climbing series. The college teams seem like an interesting social function for previous youth competitive climbers to interact with peers who may run the gamut from non-climbers just starting out to people who view comp climbing as antithetical to their climbing ideals. It's an interesting mixing pot (though I admit I've only seen two of them at this point).

Is my daughter unique in her experience? Probably not. I was just out in Clear Creek the other week and ran into two kids (~14 yrs) from the BRC team walking up the road with one of their father's who did the driving and some of the belaying. They're out there, not all of them, but they are.

When my youngest went from soccer to climbing she said something to the effect of 'You know what I like about climbing? Everyone is encouraging and there's not the petty bitchiness that you have in many other sports.' I guess the other issue is that most coaches don't drive the competitive atmosphere like you see in a lot of other sports. It's really up to the kid to decide how competitive they want to be. My son has been on the same team that my daughters have been for the last few years (two different teams) and he doesn't compete. He just goes to be a better climber and have fun. They don't necessarily view climbing the way you and I do, yet, but some of it gets in.

Cool.

Please please please don't let climbing become an Olympic sport!

GO

edge

Mar 30, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #68 of 104 (3454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

GO

My daughter was always a climber, but I waited until she was 6 to rope her up and have her clean and follow all 11 or so pitches of Standard Route on Whitehorse for her first climb.

At age 11, frustrated with riding the pine for the town softball team, Meaghan and I made the decision to enroll her in the comp circuit where she quickly excelled. I have written about her beginning years climbing and competing in an article that appeared in Rock and Ice and on this site. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ith_Meaghan_106.html This period of her life had a huge impact on her future life, and gave her a personal drive and identity that she carries to this very day.

Meg was never a wunderkind, although she did qualify for Nationals every year and placed as high as 6th a couple of times in her age group, and 5th in the Speed discipline, which neither of us counted as "real" climbing. She top roped her first 10 at age 9, and lead her first 11 at age 13. Certainly nothing special to outsiders, but it was important to her. It got her a couple of catalog gigs, where she was paid to fly out to J Tree and climb/model some free swag. When she was 15 she competed in the old ABS comps in the Womens Elite category, and made well over $1500 in cash and gear. Again, nothing special, but she was always the driving force and I was nothing more than the coach (when asked) and chauffeur.

During that time, I started and coached a team of about a dozen young climbers age 10 - 17, something I did for 8 years. My main focus was always on developing good technique and helping them help themselves to improve, trying to know when to motivate and when to back off. Of the core group from my team about half burned out, some because of heavy handed parental coaxing, and some from pushing themselves too hard. The other half, usually more laid back in personality, have adopted climbing as a life long pursuit. One is an outdoor education teacher, and the rest I see out at the crags having fun.

As for my daughter Meaghan, she competed and pushed herself hard for 7 years, then took some time off from the comp circuit during her four years in college. She still bouldered and occasionally climbed sport, but just socially and for fun.

Today she is a teacher of math, and for the last three years she has coached a team that she founded at her local gym in CT. She is also Regional Coordinator for USA Climbing's New England west division (shockabuku may know her from this?) and was co-Head Judge at last months Adult Nationals. She doesn't compete anymore, but still pulls down mid-range 11s off the couch. The key for her is that she found a happy balance of inner drive and enjoyment.

Of all the young guns who are now top US climbers, I have watched almost all of them grow up from my days in USA Climbing's Junior comps. For every one that I read about in the mags, however, there are at least as many who have dropped out completely, or ratcheted back much like Meaghan did. Some just climb now for fun, and some not at all. The empowerment of adulthood means that they can now make those decisions without worrying about "Little League" parents, coaches, or sponsorships, unless of course they want to..

To those young ones who excel despite having tiny reach, homework, and all other outside distractions, I applaud them for what they are right now, regardless of age. The same goes for one of my 28 year old partners who has only lead a couple of 5.9's. Personal accomplishments of any number are always exciting to watch and support.

(This post was edited by edge on Mar 30, 2012, 5:18 PM)

jakedatc

Mar 30, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #69 of 104 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Hmm... I dunno.

GO

GO

There will always be kids who excel and burn out in every sport.

for ones who haven't more locally to you (used to be) the Metcalf sisters still all compete and are always out at Rumney.. either pulling hard or having fun. I saw pics of Zeb leading ice this winter. Andy Lamb's little sister is now the freak in the family..she's tiny and working .13s. Andy is working hard 13 low 14. his power to weight ratio caught up to him a bit i think as he's gotten older. Mike foley sent Jaws II last year.. i remember when he was like 12 pulling V6-8

on the flip side i have acquaintances on different climbing teams who are injured from over doing it. Problem with climbing is that there can be no off season unless you create one. you can always go inside.

shockabuku

Mar 30, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #70 of 104 (3440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Today she is a teacher of math, and for the last three years she has coached a team that she founded at her local gym in CT. She is also Regional Coordinator for USA Climbing's New England west division (shockabuku may know her from this?) and was co-Head Judge at last months Adult Nationals.

I don't know her personally, but have seen her kicking off a bunch of comps this last year. I got the impression she coaches at Carabiners but didn't know she was a math teacher.

edge

Mar 30, 2012, 5:43 PM
Post #71 of 104 (3431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
In reply to:
Today she is a teacher of math, and for the last three years she has coached a team that she founded at her local gym in CT. She is also Regional Coordinator for USA Climbing's New England west division (shockabuku may know her from this?) and was co-Head Judge at last months Adult Nationals.

I don't know her personally, but have seen her kicking off a bunch of comps this last year. I got the impression she coaches at Carabiners but didn't know she was a math teacher.

Yes, she coaches at Carabiners in Fairfield and teaches middle school math in the hell hole that is Bridgeport.

She just took a job teaching at the Denver School of Science and Technology, and USA Climbing wants her to co-RC for the Colorado region next year. She was offered the Head Judge position at Nationals in Atlanta, but had to turn it down so she could move out to Denver.

bill413

Mar 30, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #72 of 104 (3423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
To those young ones who excel despite having tiny reach, homework, and all other outside distractions, I applaud them for what they are right now, regardless of age. The same goes for one of my 28 year old partners who has only lead a couple of 5.9's. Personal accomplishments of any number are always exciting to watch and support.

shockabuku

Mar 30, 2012, 6:13 PM
Post #73 of 104 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
In reply to:

Yes, she coaches at Carabiners in Fairfield and teaches middle school math in the hell hole that is Bridgeport.

She just took a job teaching at the Denver School of Science and Technology, and USA Climbing wants her to co-RC for the Colorado region next year. She was offered the Head Judge position at Nationals in Atlanta, but had to turn it down so she could move out to Denver.

Good for her. We were in both CO and NM until about 1.5 yrs ago when it was the CO-NM region and really enjoyed it out there. We're moving back to NM this summer and I'm trying to accomodate the trip to GA as well as everyone else's activities into the move planning. What a hassle!

olderic

Mar 30, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #74 of 104 (3405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I saw pics of Zeb leading ice this winter.

Yeah I was thinking of describing Zeb's experiences - they do fit into the context here. You could argue that he is a product of the junior comp circuit - he certainly did well at it (making the finals in the 18-19 category in his 3rd world's may still be the best any US boy has done in that category- not sure) - but he always was more of an all round climber IMO. He burnt out of comps after that for sure and discovered math. Finally started focusing on academics which ultimately paid off with the PHD program he is in at Dartmouth now. Still loves climbing and hates training. Did the Salathe with his girlfriend last September, did some hard ice this winter, still climbs 13's semi off the couch etc. seems to have a good balance - although it is just as nerve racking as a parent at times - although usually I don't know until after the fact. Like the time last August when he called me at work at 1AM.

Z - I'm at Cannon
me - Seems like its a nice day - what are you going to do?
Z - actually I just got back to the car - I soloed WG, MG and Lakeview car to car in < 4 hours.
me - oh.

So be careful what you wish for.

CapsaicinKing

Mar 30, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #75 of 104 (3378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Sick of kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good lord there is a lot of crybaby ranting in here.

If a kid is skilled, then give them credit for being a natural. Who cares if they are light and young, good for them for keeping the sport alive for another generation...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook