Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Linsanity

Apr 4, 2012, 8:35 AM
Post #1 of 17 (10455 views)
Shortcut

What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im new to climbing. I saw that 17 people died in a year climbing up half dome in yosemite. But if one had a rope, how do they do they usually die? Does a rope not save someone? That is what i wanted to know.

rightarmbad

Apr 4, 2012, 9:39 AM
Post #2 of 17 (10441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Linsanity] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I suppose some people are just not strong enough to keep a hold of the rope.

Linsanity

Apr 4, 2012, 9:59 AM
Post #3 of 17 (10435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rightarmbad] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rightarmbad wrote:

what does that mean?

stagg54

Apr 4, 2012, 10:29 AM
Post #4 of 17 (10424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Linsanity] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Provided you use it correctly the rope should stop you from taking the big plunge (ie all the way to the ground).

However even if you fall say 20-30 feet and don't hit the ground (ie. the rope does its job an stops you), there are plenty of ledges and other things to hit and swing into which can cause problems.

There is also the issue that rope is not indesctructible and can be cut.

Of course, the number one reason the whole system fails is most likely pilot error. (ie. someone does not tie in correctly belayer drops them, etc.)

sbaclimber

Apr 4, 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #5 of 17 (10418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rightarmbad] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rightarmbad wrote:
SlySly

@Linsanity: In the case of the 17th death, rightarmbad is actually correct (technically it is a cable):

The other 16 weren't necessarily on Half-Dome, nor necessarily climbers. From this article:
In reply to:
Leeder's tragic death has been one of many this year. Five of the 17 deaths at Yosemite this year have been the result of natural causes like heart attacks. The remaining 12 have included tourists falling and drowning from various parts of the park, the San Jose Mercury News reports.

rtwilli4

Apr 4, 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #6 of 17 (10414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose the people who died on Half Dome were this type of climber (not real rock climbing):

Linsanity

Apr 4, 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #7 of 17 (10404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stagg54] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stagg54 wrote:
Provided you use it correctly the rope should stop you from taking the big plunge (ie all the way to the ground).

However even if you fall say 20-30 feet and don't hit the ground (ie. the rope does its job an stops you), there are plenty of ledges and other things to hit and swing into which can cause problems.

Of course, the number one reason the whole system fails is most likely pilot error. (ie. someone does not tie in correctly belayer drops them, etc.)

What are the odds that the rope gets cut?

edge

Apr 4, 2012, 11:59 AM
Post #8 of 17 (10376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
stagg54 wrote:

However even if you fall say 20-30 feet and don't hit the ground (ie. the rope does its job an stops you), there are plenty of ledges and other things to hit and swing into which can cause pr
oblems.

What are the odds that the rope gets cut?

It depends how much you annoy your partner...

And there is a whole thread right now discussing ropes breaking. Check it out. http://www.rockclimbing.com/...3;page=unread#unread

(This post was edited by edge on Apr 4, 2012, 12:01 PM)

lena_chita

Apr 4, 2012, 2:41 PM
Post #9 of 17 (10297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:
Im new to climbing. I saw that 17 people died in a year climbing up half dome in yosemite. But if one had a rope, how do they do they usually die? Does a rope not save someone? That is what i wanted to know.

Tourists on Half-Dome aside, the most common reason the climbers fall has nothing to do with most common reason the climbers die.

Climbers fall most often because they are trying to climb a route that is too hard for them, or because something unexpected happens, such as rock breaking, foot slipping, etc.

Most sport climbers take falls on a regular basis, with nothing but bruised ego to show for it. Gear climbers as a group are more cautious and take fewer falls, but still, most do, and walk away with no injuries at all.

Deaths are usually due to

-- operator errors (e.g. belayer mistake, climber mistake, rappel mistake),

-- natural factors that could not have been predicted (e.g. random lightning strike, ice pillar breaking, rockfall),

-- a combination of human judgement/error and natural causes (e.g. hypothermia due to inadequate preparation/disregarding the weather forecast, misjudging the fall distance to the ledge, not placing enough protection/or climbing routes that do not have opportunity for adequate gear protection)

--and finally, very occasionally, due to gear failure (rope getting cut on sharp rock or old 'biners, bolt breaking/pulling out, 'biners or gear breaking)

jt512

Apr 4, 2012, 6:11 PM
Post #10 of 17 (10200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rightarmbad wrote:

A consequence of neglecting grip training.

Jay

mheyman

Apr 5, 2012, 3:59 AM
Post #11 of 17 (10078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope?"

Cause they are tied to it of course!

majid_sabet

Apr 5, 2012, 6:00 AM
Post #12 of 17 (10038 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Linsanity wrote:

first of all, no 17 people ever died on half dome in any year . if you are talking about 2011, 17 people died in yosemite, 50% was water related incident,half dome had one and few other climbers did die here and there.

Marylandclimber

Apr 11, 2012, 3:54 PM
Post #13 of 17 (9651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol! He didn't mean it that way XD

jomagam

Apr 11, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #14 of 17 (9608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I suppose the people who died on Half Dome were this type of climber (not real rock climbing):

[image]http://www.foothillflyers.org/jpeg%20files/halfdomecablecrowd2.jpg[/image]

I've done Half Dome on a similar day and I'm surprised only 16 people die annually.

CLimbNHNY

Apr 11, 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #15 of 17 (9502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Many reasons, gear can rip off the wall(trad or a bolted wall) Bad knot, bad belayer, ATC broke. hit a ledge. Just because you have a rope doesnt mean the rope will save you.

johnwesely

Apr 11, 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #16 of 17 (9494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CLimbNHNY] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CLimbNHNY wrote:
Many reasons, gear can rip off the wall(trad or a bolted wall) Bad knot, bad belayer, ATC broke. hit a ledge. Just because you have a rope doesnt mean the rope will save you.

O RLY?

squierbypetzl

Apr 12, 2012, 2:23 AM
Post #17 of 17 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] What is the most common reason rock climbers fall with a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
CLimbNHNY wrote:

O RLY?

Please don't feed the trolls.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook