Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

redonkulus

Feb 5, 2012, 4:52 AM
Post #1 of 22 (9321 views)
Shortcut

Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen...  (Europe: Scotland)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm likely to be in or around Edinburgh for a couple weeks this summer. I'll be on my own, but am basically looking for climbing. Are there any areas not too far from Edinburgh that have good climbing and abundant partners?

I'm looking primarily for 5.12ish or easier sport, but I'd settle for some easier trad. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm from Kansas, so anything within 6hrs travel of Edinburgh is totally acceptable for me. Dunno how big Scotland is comparatively to some of the States, but I'd imagine that 6hrs travel can get me pretty far.

Thanks.

rsmillbern

Feb 5, 2012, 8:35 AM
Post #2 of 22 (9301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

2.5 to 3 hours will get you to to the Fort Williams area (Ben Nevis, Glen Coe, ect...). I was there is December and am hoping to make it back this summer for some climbing as well.

Beware of gas prices, compared to Kansas :-) ($8 to $10 / gal right now)

I am wondering if I have met you (HCR) I have been there a few times when I was living in North Carolina (in Germany now)

sungam

Feb 5, 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #3 of 22 (9288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
I'm likely to be in or around Edinburgh for a couple weeks this summer. I'll be on my own, but am basically looking for climbing. Are there any areas not too far from Edinburgh that have good climbing and abundant partners?

I'm looking primarily for 5.12ish or easier sport, but I'd settle for some easier trad. Any recommendations?

Also, I'm from Kansas, so anything within 6hrs travel of Edinburgh is totally acceptable for me. Dunno how big Scotland is comparatively to some of the States, but I'd imagine that 6hrs travel can get me pretty far.

Thanks.
There is not an abundance of high-quality sport climbing in Scotland, though there are definitely some places worth checking out though. There will be a large abundance of possible partners (myself included) for any style of climbing. If you have a car then you will have no problem finding someone to climb with.

Having said that there are some worthwhile sport crags, where Scotland really shines through is adventurous multipitch trad. There is a lot of fun to be had for those willing to make longish drives and longer walk ins (or row ins, in some cases).

Hit me up closer to the time, I will almost certainly want to go climbing. Smile

redonkulus

Feb 5, 2012, 3:45 PM
Post #4 of 22 (9261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you were ever at HCR on weekends, it's possible we've seen each other around. When weather permits and I can afford it, I'm in Arkansas every weekend. Thanks for the info!

redonkulus

Feb 5, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #5 of 22 (9258 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
redonkulus wrote:

Thanks.
There is not an abundance of high-quality sport climbing in Scotland, though there are definitely some places worth checking out though. There will be a large abundance of possible partners (myself included) for any style of climbing. If you have a car then you will have no problem finding someone to climb with.

Having said that there are some worthwhile sport crags, where Scotland really shines through is adventurous multipitch trad. There is a lot of fun to be had for those willing to make longish drives and longer walk ins (or row ins, in some cases).

Hit me up closer to the time, I will almost certainly want to go climbing. Smile

Cool, thanks for the info. I won't have a car, but I'll certainly be willing to split gas.

I can't wait! I already met Spikkedem at the Red this fall, and I might meet Sungam in Scotland? Too cool! Cool

I'll definitely let you know closer to time, it'll probably be around late June.

sungam

Feb 5, 2012, 8:59 PM
Post #6 of 22 (9218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
sungam wrote:
redonkulus wrote:

Thanks.

Cool, thanks for the info. I won't have a car, but I'll certainly be willing to split gas.

I can't wait! I already met Spikkedem at the Red this fall, and I might meet Sungam in Scotland? Too cool! Cool

I'll definitely let you know closer to time, it'll probably be around late June.
Speaking of which... Has anyone seen Spike since then?

Uh... I retract my offer.... Tongue

June would be pretty excellent.

redonkulus

Feb 6, 2012, 6:03 AM
Post #7 of 22 (9189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
redonkulus wrote:
sungam wrote:
redonkulus wrote:

Thanks.

Speaking of which... Has anyone seen Spike since then?

Uh... I retract my offer.... Tongue

June would be pretty excellent.

I tried to kill him but he got away. He did Facebook chat me while quite drunk a while back though. Shoulda screencapped it for you.

sungam

Feb 6, 2012, 8:41 AM
Post #8 of 22 (9182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
I tried to kill him but he got away.
Well, Angry, GMBurns, and TJgosurf have already tried to top me and I'm still here; I figure I can hold my own if you couldn't even take out spike.

Gmburns2000

Feb 6, 2012, 1:11 PM
Post #9 of 22 (9153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
redonkulus wrote:
I tried to kill him but he got away.
Well, Angry, GMBurns, and TJgosurf have already tried to top me and I'm still here; I figure I can hold my own if you couldn't even take out spike.

The poison candy I slipped you during Jeremiah's B-day party was a long-term death trap idea to improve your health so that you'd die a slow death live until about 27 31 46 (dammit I misread the directions!!! Mad) 86. Smile

yodadave

Feb 6, 2012, 4:01 PM
Post #10 of 22 (9130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Edinburgh also has some great gyms for finding partners.
Alien rock and Ratho quarry
both have bus service from the city centre.

jbro_135

Feb 6, 2012, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 22 (9124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will also be in Edinburgh/the surrounding area for a week or so in mid-june, hoping to get a day or two of climbing in! Bouldering would be awesome, or some sport/trad/whatever. If we're there at the same time it would be cool to meet up or something!

redonkulus

Feb 6, 2012, 5:50 PM
Post #12 of 22 (9113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbro_135] Sungam or other friendly Scotsmen... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
I will also be in Edinburgh/the surrounding area for a week or so in mid-june, hoping to get a day or two of climbing in! Bouldering would be awesome, or some sport/trad/whatever. If we're there at the same time it would be cool to meet up or something!

Sounds good to me!

jbro_135

Apr 24, 2012, 9:46 PM
Post #13 of 22 (8841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I finally booked flights and accommodations, I'd be up for climbing on Skye from june 14-18, and possibly something around edinburgh on the 19th. I probably will only be able to get away for one day, if that sounds good let me know. Looks like sky has some pretty awesome climbing in the Cuillin hills.

sungam

Apr 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Post #14 of 22 (8832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems likely that I'll be around (if I'm wanted).

jbro_135

Apr 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #15 of 22 (8822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That would be cool, it looks like there are a number of good areas for bouldering/trad on Skye. Have you climbed there much? I would definitely like to meet up for a day, especially since I won't be able to bring much gear (harness, shoes, and a bit of a rack perhaps...)

sungam

Apr 25, 2012, 7:14 AM
Post #16 of 22 (8790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
That would be cool, it looks like there are a number of good areas for bouldering/trad on Skye. Have you climbed there much? I would definitely like to meet up for a day, especially since I won't be able to bring much gear (harness, shoes, and a bit of a rack perhaps...)
I'll prolly be able to make it up to Skye. I've done limited climbing up there. Just a quick climb up the in pinn, a traverse attempt, and some bouldering.

Will you have a car with you?

And if I can't make it, I might be able to lend you some of my rack.

jbro_135

Apr 26, 2012, 2:28 AM
Post #17 of 22 (8755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
I'll prolly be able to make it up to Skye. I've done limited climbing up there. Just a quick climb up the in pinn, a traverse attempt, and some bouldering.

I will have a rental car, but i'm travelling with non-climbers so getting use of it to go climbing may be an issue. I'm sure I could work something out.

I'm mostly a boulderer, so I'd be keen to check out Carn Liath, which looks quite cool. Or we could climb one of the big old mountains, because that's always fun.

sungam

Apr 26, 2012, 7:59 AM
Post #18 of 22 (8737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jbro_135 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

I will have a rental car, but i'm travelling with non-climbers so getting use of it to go climbing may be an issue. I'm sure I could work something out.

I'm mostly a boulderer, so I'd be keen to check out Carn Liath, which looks quite cool. Or we could climb one of the big old mountains, because that's always fun.
I haven't climbed at Carn Liath (only bouldering I've done on Skye was in coire lagan), it looks pretty awesome, though.

redonkulus

Apr 28, 2012, 5:02 AM
Post #19 of 22 (8698 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

I haven't climbed at Carn Liath (only bouldering I've done on Skye was in coire lagan), it looks pretty awesome, though.

Unfortunately, my financial situation fell through, so I won't be joining you fine Gents. I hope all goes well and that neither of you are serial murderers or rapists.

jbro_135

Apr 28, 2012, 5:38 AM
Post #20 of 22 (8696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahhaa thanks mate

sungam

Apr 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
Post #21 of 22 (8684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jbro_135 wrote:

Unfortunately, my financial situation fell through, so I won't be joining you fine Gents. I hope all goes well and that neither of you are serial murderers or rapists.
Too bad, man. We'll have to meet some other time ^.^

redonkulus

Apr 28, 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #22 of 22 (8650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indeed. If you're ever stateside, feel free to holler. Also, I've got family in England, so I'm on your half of the world from time to time. Same for you jbro!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook