RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

AlexanderThorn

Apr 25, 2012, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 22 (4669 views)
Shortcut

Risk and Reward from Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So is climbing worth the fun, the exercise ? Or is the thought of a grave injury or death not worth taking?

After seeing the amount of accidents and deaths, I'm thinking maybe climbing is not such a great sport / activity. Maybe the risk isn't worth the thrill anymore.

What's your thoughts ?

cragmasterp

Apr 25, 2012, 2:31 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AlexanderThorn] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

you should quit climbing and take up golf. or bouldering.

notapplicable

Apr 25, 2012, 2:43 AM
Post #3 of 22 (4632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your logic is sound. Less climbers at the crag = Less chance of someone dropping a rock or cam on my head.

Please make climbing a safer sport and quit.

edge

Apr 25, 2012, 2:52 AM
Post #4 of 22 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AlexanderThorn wrote:
So is climbing worth the fun, the exercise ? Or is the thought of a grave injury or death not worth taking?

After seeing the amount of accidents and deaths, I'm thinking maybe climbing is not such a great sport / activity. Maybe the risk isn't worth the thrill anymore.

What's your thoughts ?

Umm, enjoy the soup Enigma.

squierbypetzl

Apr 25, 2012, 3:04 AM
Post #5 of 22 (4609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

My first thought is to question how long you've been climbing, or if you've ever actually climbed at all.

Climb long enough and you'll hear about or even see accidents happening to people you know. If you're really unlucky you'll be the one having the accident.

Accidents are unfortunate, but they are a part of life, not merely this sport. Life is frail, and even if you devoted your entire life only to preserving your life, in the end it all comes down to sheer randomness.People die ever day by slipping on wet floors, falling down some stairs, getting hit by a car while standing at a corner, suffering a sudden stroke or heart failure that nobody could have forseen...

I think that if you take precautions like double checking your gear, wearing a helmet where rockfall is possible, knowing when to retreat instead of putting yourself in imminent danger, and climb with partners who do all of the former, you'll find climbing to be much safer than it would seem at first glance.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Apr 25, 2012, 3:05 AM)

jt512

Apr 25, 2012, 3:10 AM
Post #6 of 22 (4599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

That was fast, but it's cheating to use your secret mod powers.

Jay

jt512

Apr 25, 2012, 3:12 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

My first thought is to question how long you've been climbing, or if you've ever actually climbed at all.

Climb long enough and you'll hear about or even see accidents happening to people you know. If you're really unlucky you'll be the one having the accident.

Accidents are unfortunate, but they are a part of life, not merely this sport. Life is frail, and even if you devoted your entire life only to preserving your life, in the end it all comes down to sheer randomness.People die ever day by slipping on wet floors, falling down some stairs, getting hit by a car while standing at a corner, suffering a sudden stroke or heart failure that nobody could have forseen...

I think that if you take precautions like double checking your gear, wearing a helmet where rockfall is possible, knowing when to retreat instead of putting yourself in imminent danger, and climb with partners who do all of the former, you'll find climbing to be much safer than it would seem at first glance.

You've been trolled and out-modded.

Jay

squierbypetzl

Apr 25, 2012, 3:16 AM
Post #8 of 22 (4591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

Jay

Please, 1st post of an account that bothered to use capitalized letters and he/she/it starts bitching about climbing being too dangerous to continue? Since it wasn't recycled, posted something that might be worthwhile to actual climbers (or would-be climbers).

edge

Apr 25, 2012, 3:21 AM
Post #9 of 22 (4585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
edge wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/410166-largest_STFU.jpg[/image]

Jay

When a post so inane and unintelligible as this pops up, I can instantly recognize the culprit to a 98% certainty without any special mod actions.

I do, however, reserve the right to verify my opinion and self congratulate my Sherlock Holmesian skills.

jt512

Apr 25, 2012, 3:28 AM
Post #10 of 22 (4568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
jt512 wrote:
squierbypetzl wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

Jay

Please, 1st post of an account that bothered to use capitalized letters and he/she/it starts bitching about climbing being too dangerous to continue? Since it wasn't recycled, posted something that might be worthwhile to actual climbers (or would-be climbers).

You do have a cute little n00b streak that comes out every now and then.

Jay

healyje

Apr 25, 2012, 3:40 AM
Post #11 of 22 (4555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The demographic has exploded over the past fifteen years to the point where Darwin is working overtime these days.

Despite the suburban gym birthday parties, TV and magazine ads, and everyone you know doing it - climbing really isn't an intelligent choice for everyone. My rough guess is 80% of the humans who will put on a harness for the first time in 2012 should probably leave it at a little dabbling and quickly move on to other, more suitable, pursuits.

majid_sabet

Apr 25, 2012, 6:04 AM
Post #12 of 22 (4503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

when you say "after seen" , just to remind you that there is only one troll master here and you aint one.

karmiclimber

Apr 25, 2012, 9:53 AM
Post #13 of 22 (4475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did not get enough sleep last night. Crazy

Anyway. Lots of things are thrilling and risky. You just don't think about it that way because its part of your everyday life. Driving is one that immediately comes to mind.
And like the other poster mentioned...being alive means that someday you will die. Life is fragile. Etc.
But rock climbing does not mean taking unnecessary risks. You need to be educated and cautious. Sometimes the unforeseeable does happen...climbers get injured and die. In my experience, the general public views climbing as a risky behavior because 1. they are afraid of heights 2. its not part of their daily lives 3. they haven't been educated in how it works 4. most of the time that they see climbing in the media its some ultra ridiculous movie or its on the news and someone has been killed or injured. And so on.

Is it worth the reward? To me, 100 percent. If its not for you, thats okay. There are a number of things relating to the outdoors and climbing that I won't do because to me, it is too risky. Use your best judgement and you will do fine.

blueeyedclimber

Apr 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4439 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
jt512 wrote:
edge wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/410166-largest_STFU.jpg[/image]

Jay

When a post so inane and unintelligible as this pops up, I can instantly recognize the culprit to a 98% certainty without any special mod actions.

Unless, as Jay says, you are cheating and can verify that assertion, I am not so sure. A couple years ago, I would have said the same thing...Enigma strikes again. Now, it seems like EVERYONE is Enigma (enigmatic?). IS everyone Enigma? Tongue

Josh

hyhuu

Apr 26, 2012, 2:46 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cragmasterp wrote:

Don't be rediculous, bouldering is dangerous.

edge

Apr 26, 2012, 3:14 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
jt512 wrote:
edge wrote:
AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

Jay

Unless, as Jay says, you are cheating and can verify that assertion, I am not so sure. A couple years ago, I would have said the same thing...Enigma strikes again. Now, it seems like EVERYONE is Enigma (enigmatic?). IS everyone Enigma? Tongue

Josh

This definitely is enigma.

Even check out the last line of the op, a slight take off on the patented "What do YOU think?"

LostinMaine

Apr 26, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hyhuu wrote:
cragmasterp wrote:

Don't be rediculous, bouldering is dangerous.

You caught one!

Reel, reel!

jamesnater

Apr 26, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #18 of 22 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AlexanderThorn wrote:

What's your thoughts ?

Your post made me think of this...

http://youtu.be/LN2wcOIfdk4

curt

Apr 26, 2012, 4:57 PM
Post #19 of 22 (4237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cragmasterp wrote:

Both of those are even more difficult.

Curt

karmiclimber

Apr 26, 2012, 6:25 PM
Post #20 of 22 (4192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jamesnater] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL. That is the worst belay I've ever seen.

dagibbs

May 2, 2012, 8:31 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] Risk and Reward from Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
LOL. That is the worst belay I've ever seen.

Sadly, that isn't the worst belay I've ever seen in a gym. I chose to only boulder in that particular gym.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook