Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ClimbOnSister

May 7, 2012, 2:54 PM
Post #1 of 63 (15107 views)
Shortcut

You Might Be A Girl Climber If...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climb On, Sister!
http://www.climbonsister.com/...girl-climber-if.html

wonderwoman

May 7, 2012, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 63 (15091 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbOnSister] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Out of all of those, I only fit the 'thinking about climbing 24/7' description. Maybe having more climbing clothes than regular clothes scenario, too.

wonderwoman

May 7, 2012, 4:13 PM
Post #3 of 63 (15084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How about this:

Your doctor is alarmed at all of your scrapes and bruises to the point that she asks you, with a concerned look on her face, 'Do you feel safe at home?'.

karmiclimber

May 7, 2012, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 63 (15074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
How about this:

Your doctor is alarmed at all of your scrapes and bruises to the point that she asks you, with a concerned look on her face, 'Do you feel safe at home?'.

^ This!

Plus I do have more climbing clothes than regular and I think about climbing almost 24.7. Plus, I am totally buying the sweet Petzl full body harness for my pregnancy (but I'm waiting til I really need it).

wonderwoman

May 7, 2012, 6:27 PM
Post #5 of 63 (15052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or....

Your APE index prevents you from wearing long sleeve button-down shirts.

And...

Skinny-jeans are out of the question because your musclebound calves limit your attire to skirts or bell-bottoms.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on May 7, 2012, 6:28 PM)

lena_chita

May 7, 2012, 6:44 PM
Post #6 of 63 (15039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Out of all of those, I only fit the 'thinking about climbing 24/7' description. Maybe having more climbing clothes than regular clothes scenario, too.

Me too!

A lot of things on that list I thought were rather stupid.

In reply to:
you wear men's climbing hsoes because women's shoes are not aggressive enough
HUH???

In reply to:
You pack Luna bars for snacks on climbing days
-- That's news to me!

In reply to:
You throw up your foot to the next hold and you hear someone say "geez, you're flexible!"
---yeah, O.K., happens sometimes. But I know women climbers who couldn't touch their toes, too.

And the list goes on...

I personally would have gone with something like:

-- you have climbing gear on your Christmas and birthday wish list

-- vacation time means climbing time.

-- your co-workers greet you on Monday not with "what did you do this weekend" question, but rather with the "where did you climb this weekend"?

-- your son tells you to "send that project" already!

-- your gear closet is more organized and more roomy than your bedroom closet

-- you can pack your stuff and be ready to go on a weekend trip within 30 min of getting home from work.

-- other than taking a trash bag and water bottles out, you don't bother unpacking your backpack between trips.

-- you find yourself day-dreaming by going through the moves of your latest project in your head, over and over.

Somehow it all seems applicable to both men and women climbers.... hmmm...

wonderwoman

May 7, 2012, 7:07 PM
Post #7 of 63 (15033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or this one:

When swinging leads with a male partner, the gear sling constantly slips off your shoulder.

Any climb described as 'good hand jams' might as well be an off-width.

wonderwoman

May 7, 2012, 7:11 PM
Post #8 of 63 (15026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Your wedding registry is at REI rather than Crate & Barrel.

clee03m

May 7, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #9 of 63 (15012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
How about this:

My favorite one so far.

I agree that I couldn't really relate to a lot from the blog. Girls actually obsess over how to make their hair cute while they climb?

Mine:
Your toddler points to every climber both men and women in Patagonia catalog with orange helmet and says "mommie"

amphotography89

May 7, 2012, 8:14 PM
Post #10 of 63 (15003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree we far too many of those..... I might be a girl..... lol

karmiclimber

May 7, 2012, 8:47 PM
Post #11 of 63 (14989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amphotography89] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amphotography89 wrote:

Do you bedazzle your aggro shoes? Sly

amphotography89

May 7, 2012, 9:09 PM
Post #12 of 63 (14975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [karmiclimber] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

karmiclimber wrote:
amphotography89 wrote:

Do you bedazzle your aggro shoes? Sly
That's not all I bedazzle.

granite_grrl

May 8, 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #13 of 63 (14934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't like the original list....finding cute ways to do your hair on the internet? For serious?

Some of the things that the ladies coming up with in this thread are pretty good through.

wonderwoman wrote:
When swinging leads with a male partner, the gear sling constantly slips off your shoulder.

I have no problem with the gear sling slipping (my shoulders are more square than a lot of ladies I know though) but gear sling sizing is an issue. With our shorter torsos I find my husband's gear sling too long....fortunatly I usually manage to slip my gear sling into the pack instead of his, which usually just results in him complaining on how short it is.

wonderwoman

May 8, 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #14 of 63 (14927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I didn't like the original list....finding cute ways to do your hair on the internet? For serious?

Some of the things that the ladies coming up with in this thread are pretty good through.

wonderwoman wrote:

I have no problem with the gear sling slipping (my shoulders are more square than a lot of ladies I know though) but gear sling sizing is an issue. With our shorter torsos I find my husband's gear sling too long....fortunatly I usually manage to slip my gear sling into the pack instead of his, which usually just results in him complaining on how short it is.

Absolutely! Length is an issue for me, too. We just rack on our harnesses now. We have different systems of racking gear, so it works out best this way.

wonderwoman

May 8, 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #15 of 63 (14925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm full of them:

Bathing suit season reveals your trad rack bruises.

granite_grrl

May 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #16 of 63 (14917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

What about the mega tanned shoulders and back but blindingly white stomach from your days of facing the cliff. That always looks hawt in a bikini.

wonderwoman

May 8, 2012, 1:05 PM
Post #17 of 63 (14912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

What about the mega tanned shoulders and back but blindingly white stomach from your days of facing the cliff. That always looks hawt in a bikini.

Or a gear-sling-tan-line!

lena_chita

May 8, 2012, 2:34 PM
Post #18 of 63 (14889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

Good ones, ladies!

This thread got me thinking about something. Let's see if I can verbalize it. :)

Let's start with the fact that I AM A WOMAN. I've kind of known about it for a very long time, since personal awareness kicked in sometime in childhood, it is kind of obvious to anyone who looks, and I am pretty happy with it, not planning any changes in this lifetime.

BUT...

I don't want to be identified as a "girl climber" (woman would be more appropriate, to begin with), but still, the point that I am trying to make is that I AM A CLIMBER. Not a "woman climber".

Nobody says about any guy, he is a man climber. He is SIMPLY a climber. He happens to be male, sure, and maybe also blond, blue-eyed, 30 years old and married with two kids. But nobody says he is a "Dad climber", "he is a blond climber", etc. etc.

Do you see where I am going with this?

And in the same vein, I am simply a scientist. Not a "female scientist", thank you very much!

granite_grrl

May 8, 2012, 2:42 PM
Post #19 of 63 (14885 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

Good ones, ladies!

This thread got me thinking about something. Let's see if I can verbalize it. :)

Let's start with the fact that I AM A WOMAN. I've kind of known about it for a very long time, since personal awareness kicked in sometime in childhood, it is kind of obvious to anyone who looks, and I am pretty happy with it, not planning any changes in this lifetime.

BUT...

I don't want to be identified as a "girl climber" (woman would be more appropriate, to begin with), but still, the point that I am trying to make is that I AM A CLIMBER. Not a "woman climber".

Nobody says about any guy, he is a man climber. He is SIMPLY a climber. He happens to be male, sure, and maybe also blond, blue-eyed, 30 years old and married with two kids. But nobody says he is a "Dad climber", "he is a blond climber", etc. etc.

And in the same vein, I am simply a scientist. Not a "female scientist", thank you very much!

this is a good point. I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a girl in order to fit in with the guys, but I also expect for people to see me as a "climber" or an "engineer" not a "girl climber" or "girl engineer". A healty enviroment is one where you can be who you are without expectations put on you because of your sex, the colour of your skin, your ethnic back ground, etc.

wonderwoman

May 8, 2012, 2:56 PM
Post #20 of 63 (14882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also refer to myself as a 'woman' and will correct anyone who refers to me as a 'girl'. I am wonderwoman, after all, not wondergirl. Tongue

However, we are in a male dominated sport and some of us have male dominated careers.

I think there are some fun differences between men and women climbers, and that's sort of why I like our Ladies' Room conversations. I may not be a lipgloss, bedazzled climber. But I am a woman and I am a climber. Sometimes the lines are blurred. In most climbing cases, I am just a trad climber, though.

Partner cracklover

May 8, 2012, 3:34 PM
Post #21 of 63 (14868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

Good ones, ladies!

BUT...

I see what you mean, but I also see no problem with appreciating or finding humor in what makes being a girl different at times. Y'know - Vive la Différance.

GO

lena_chita

May 8, 2012, 3:50 PM
Post #22 of 63 (14860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I'm not going to pretend that I'm not a girl in order to fit in with the guys, but I also expect for people to see me as a "climber" or an "engineer" not a "girl climber" or "girl engineer". A healty enviroment is one where you can be who you are without expectations put on you because of your sex, the colour of your skin, your ethnic back ground, etc.

Yes, this. I don't ever want to pretend that I am "one of the guys". But I really haven't had to, in climbing community.

It is not about denying that men and women are different, or that they have certain concerns that i are unique to the gender.

karmiclimber

May 8, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #23 of 63 (14848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

Good ones, ladies!

BUT...

Yeah...this is my thought too. I even wonder why we have a "ladies room"...like we are delicate flowers that need separated from the general population?

Anyway, I kind of agree with WW's post below...at least where I have climbed (only in various states across America), it seems to be a male dominated sport. Which I think is really strange...I feel like climbing has women written all over it...strength, grace, balance, flexibility...the list goes on. But then again the weekend past time in my state is going to the mall Unsure Where I live, its hard to find women who will hike with you, let alone climb with you. I guess I chalk it up mostly to the current lack of enthusiasm regarding exercise in general in the country?
Not to get too much off topic there...anyway, I def. agree with Lena...I think the more gender, sexuality, etc are ignored the better off we are. That said, had it been a good list, I might have secretly revelled in it (no, offense OP).

lena_chita

May 8, 2012, 4:37 PM
Post #24 of 63 (14845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] You Might Be A Girl Climber If... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I'm full of them:

Good ones, ladies!

BUT...

I see what you mean, but I also see no problem with appreciating or finding humor in what makes being a girl different at times. Y'know - Vive la Différance.

GO

I see no problem with finding humor in the differences.

I certainly have seen a fair share of "you might be a geek if...", "you might be an engineer if...", "you might be a mother if..." and so on.

Some of them quite funny, and many of them containing items I could easily relate to.

The link above was not either quite so relevant or funny as some of the lists I have seen, but it certainly didn't offend me.

My comment was simply a tangent that the title of the thread made me thing of.

clee03m

May 8, 2012, 4:37 PM
Post #25 of 63 (14844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally hear what you are saying. I felt like many listed on the original list was more along what you are saying: sexist distinctions. Like women having to care about how they look while they climb from lipgloss to bedazzled shoes to worrying about how to fix their hair. Like vanity is not gender neutral.

But I like the list we have created here! They are pretty funny and relatable.

Hey, I have another one:
When you ask for beta, people reply to your husband.

This one is particularly urksome since I am the more serious climber.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook