RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

melomaine

May 8, 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Montserrat questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,
I'm heading to Monserrat for two days of climbing in a couple of weeks. I've no car and will be travelling to and from Barcelona (by train, I guess).
What's the best place to stay there for one night? We're going to do some sports climbing so proximity to the bolted routes would be good, though I don't believe there's much in terms of choice? I couldn't find much online.

Is there any good places to go for drinks in the evening?

I'd appreciate any input from people who've been there.
Thanks!

shoo

May 8, 2012, 2:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melomaine] Montserrat questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the monestary area, which has both climbers campground and a hotel. There's a crappy bar in the hotel.

There are also a few refuges around, but they're a bit expensive (15 euros a night for the one I checked out) and not really worth it. Nice little hike to them, though.

melomaine

May 8, 2012, 2:53 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Montserrat questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the reply Shoo.

This might be a dumb question but what exactly do you mean by 'refuge'? Do you mean hostel or campsite?

shoo

May 8, 2012, 3:41 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3063 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neither. It's basically a building with minimal to no facilities that you can sleep in, often with bunks.

grantjk

May 8, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter and I climbed there for a few days while being tourists in Barcelona last March and had a great time. The climbing is on conglomerate domes, which is certainly different than anything I've ever done before!

It's easy to get a train from Barcelona to a cable car that takes you up to the monastery, about 2 hours. There's a big hotel/guesthouse there, a couple restaurants and a small store. I think there's a camping area on the hotel grounds, but we were there in March and it wasn't open, so we stayed at the Refugio closest to the Monastery, about a 45 minute walk. It was in an old monk's hermitage, and had candles, a wood stove, picnic table, and mats to sleep on. There was a caretaker who was available to cook meals and beverages for us, or we could bring our own. It was all pretty cheap--5 Euros each to stay there and 10-15 euros for dinner one night and various snacks and beverages. There was no water or bathrooms at the refugio; both were available at the monastery.

We did all our climbing around the monastery and refugio; I think the area is called Los Gorros. There's a very good and inexpensive guide available on-line at RockFax. It comes in different languages, is divided into separate sections, and has a lot of information about the logistics of climbing there.

Have a great time, and don't miss the monastery and Black Virgin. My daughter insisted we go see it rather than doing a final climb, and I'm really grateful, as it was quite spectacular.

sonso45

May 15, 2012, 6:30 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grantjk] Montserrat questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In two weeks it may be hot. Lot of north facing stuff to do. I climbed Puigmal, a big pinnacle but we did the crack. There are bolted routes going up it too though. We parked at the refugio:

http://www.refugiosonline.com/...;PARAM_v_idportal=14

(This post was edited by sonso45 on May 15, 2012, 6:31 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook