Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Breathable climbing tops with good support?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

clumsy

Mar 23, 2012, 1:14 AM
Post #1 of 18 (13505 views)
Shortcut

Breathable climbing tops with good support?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good support but without squeezing the life out? And comfortable in hot weather? And long enough so it does not ride up?

Do you, ladies, have favorites?

granite_grrl

Mar 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #2 of 18 (13489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clumsy] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clumsy wrote:
Good support but without squeezing the life out? And comfortable in hot weather? And long enough so it does not ride up?

Do you, ladies, have favorites?

How much support are you looking for? Hiking to the cliff and the act of climbing are pretty low impact activities and you don't need much.

For real support I would suggest visiting some running stores and see what they have in stock if you want something that works well. Most climbing shirts are more fashionable than supportive, but you can't get away with that shit when running.

lena_chita

Mar 23, 2012, 2:21 PM
Post #3 of 18 (13479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never seen a climbing tank top with anything other than a shelf bra, at most.

If shelf bra is not enough support for you, do what I noticed other women with larger breasts do-- use a sports bra, and then wear an unlined tank top/T-shirt over it. That tank top doesn't have to be very tight, since you have the sports bra, and that would improve comfort in hot weather significantly.

Also, maybe look into sports bras that are sold in band/cup sizes, which would allow for more precise fit and comfort, too.

clumsy

Mar 23, 2012, 5:24 PM
Post #4 of 18 (13464 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking for something that would prevent the bounce while hiking to/from a crag.

I really don't like to layer too much, so a shelf bra top with enough support (or may be with build-in bar) should do for my B+/C- had-two-kids size

erisspirit

Mar 23, 2012, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 18 (13460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to admit it (because I feel like its more of a fashion brand AND it's expensive!!!) but I have a running top from lulu lemon that I have fallen in love with. The built in bra has better support that a simple shelf bra top, and it also has points to adjust it so it isn't a one size must fit all situation. It's also super breathable.

you can probably find some cheaper running tops that are lightweight and still have support.

for hot weather though I still often wear a sports bra and a light tank top... that way if it gets really hot I can strip down to the sports bra

clumsy

Mar 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #6 of 18 (13432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, erisspirit!

I just read a very interesting article about lululemon business model based on scarcity and product innovation :)

gblauer

Mar 26, 2012, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 18 (13389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love Lulu Lemon stuff.

That aside, try Title IX. They seem to have a lot of options.

lena_chita

Mar 26, 2012, 4:29 PM
Post #8 of 18 (13364 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I love Lulu Lemon stuff.

That aside, try Title IX. They seem to have a lot of options.

Wow, some of those Title 9 tank tops look pretty sweet. I wonder if there is a place to try them on IRL.

I have issue with a lot of tank tops, including Lululemon. My back muscles are a bit more developed than average, so non-climbing tank tops usually cut into my back and chafe.

My favorites are Patagonia, Stonewear Designs and Verve. I can't say much about their supportive qualities though, because I am lacking the features that need supporting.

Partner macherry

Mar 27, 2012, 2:11 AM
Post #9 of 18 (13325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a few prana tops that fit well. i have broad shoulders, and need little if any support, and the tops work for me.

clee03m

Mar 27, 2012, 6:00 AM
Post #10 of 18 (13313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Patagonia tops. Pranas are ok. For super cheap, Champion tops at Target are pretty nice. Don't get Athleta. Horrible brand.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #11 of 18 (13257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a 36C cup and find Prana tops too tight. I love the designs and colors, and have bought them in past, but unless I am at my skinniest(yes, it does affect my bust), even the XL size is too tight.

I've liked my Patagonia tops in past, and the ones I have had do provide support, but I am not very cognizant of the bounce thing, to be honest.

I think the sport bra from a high end house as a base is a very good suggestion, but I know that I really like the sleek look of the Prana/Patgonia tops.

carabiner96

Mar 29, 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #12 of 18 (13245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
I like Patagonia tops. Pranas are ok. For super cheap, Champion tops at Target are pretty nice. Don't get Athleta. Horrible brand.
I've never bought from them but I like their catalogs. What's your bad experience?

clee03m

Mar 29, 2012, 4:32 PM
Post #13 of 18 (13214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As for Athleta, well, the clothes are not as cute as they appear in the pictures. Color and fabric were off. Then one of the tops were not cut even. They happily exchanged one, but the other top was cut wrong too. One top with built in underwire bra is not only super uncomfortable but very unflattering. I was really disappointed because they are reasonably priced and the pictures look so cute. Now this was a few years back, so it's possible they are better now? For now, I am going to stick to brands I trust like Patagonia and North Face. I have seen my climbing friends wear lulu lemon and they are very cute. They are not well endowed so I don't know about support.

clumsy

Apr 4, 2012, 1:19 AM
Post #14 of 18 (13082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So... at the moment I have two Marika tops which I love for pilates. Just got a Mountain Hardware top which seems to be ok, but the straps somewhat cut into my trapezius muscles. Will see if stretches...
I did try a couple of Prana tops at REI - very cute, but don't offer enough support.

The search goes on! :)

SylviaSmile

May 16, 2012, 12:12 AM
Post #15 of 18 (12810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clumsy wrote:
So... at the moment I have two Marika tops which I love for pilates. Just got a Mountain Hardware top which seems to be ok, but the straps somewhat cut into my trapezius muscles. Will see if stretches...
I did try a couple of Prana tops at REI - very cute, but don't offer enough support.

The search goes on! :)

I actually have an Old Navy top I really like for all kinds of working out--you might try there.

karmiclimber

May 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #16 of 18 (12784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
I've never seen a climbing tank top with anything other than a shelf bra, at most.

If shelf bra is not enough support for you, do what I noticed other women with larger breasts do-- use a sports bra, and then wear an unlined tank top/T-shirt over it. That tank top doesn't have to be very tight, since you have the sports bra, and that would improve comfort in hot weather significantly.

Also, maybe look into sports bras that are sold in band/cup sizes, which would allow for more precise fit and comfort, too.

That is what I do. My favorite sports bra for support in the world is Lululemon's Tata tamer. I had to go up a band size from what I normally wear, but it really is the best. I also love their racerback tanks and technical t-shirts. None of their clothing is vanity sized, so it would probably be good if you could try on first or just measure before ordering.

viciousheart

Sep 25, 2012, 2:47 AM
Post #17 of 18 (12034 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by viciousheart [In reply to]
Report this Post

acacongua

Apr 16, 2013, 3:36 PM
Post #18 of 18 (10998 views)
Shortcut

Re: Breathable climbing tops with good support? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh how I love the Verve Lorelli bras!! It was a little awkward at first because they are tiny, but they don't cut into my lats.
In reply to:
Your size will be a medium. I usually wear small in sports bras, but they measure by cup size.

If you want more coverage, there is another one that is nice.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook