RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

nickpank

May 17, 2012, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 8 (5736 views)
Shortcut

No climbing for three weeks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everybody, first time poster here. Like the subject says, I won't be able to climb for about three weeks. Reason being that I am going to a pretty remote northern location that is also very flat. I've inquired about a gym in town, and have been informed that there isn't one, but that one of the local school gyms is occasionally open at night to the public. Does anybody know any no/minimal equipment somewhat climbing specific hotel room workouts? I don't get to climb too often, so I want to make this trip an opportunity to do some more intense than usual workouts. I plan on bringing a skipping rope, a hand strengthener and some running shoes.

gblauer

May 17, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #2 of 8 (5667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nickpank] No climbing for three weeks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do a ton of cardio, lift weights, pushups and lots of door jamb pullups.

If you can't get to any weights, consider getting those stretch bands.

Amorino

May 18, 2012, 9:42 AM
Post #3 of 8 (5623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] No climbing for three weeks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate not being able to climb. Its like my body calls out out for it. I often find myself doing chin ups in doorways or if its really bad press ups.

Its mad how my body makes me know that it misses the climbing.

mr.tastycakes

May 18, 2012, 2:10 PM
Post #4 of 8 (5601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

It's hard to do anything truly climbing specific without a wall.

Maybe lose a couple pounds (if you're not an emaciated climber-type already), improve your flexibility, find a small edge to hang off of (maybe do some pullups too).

3 weeks isn't too much time off...a lot of the climbers I know could use that kind of break to heal up nagging over-use injuries. I was at the gym last night and I swear half of the climbers there were walking wounded.

lena_chita

May 18, 2012, 7:42 PM
Post #5 of 8 (5572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.tastycakes] No climbing for three weeks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

mr.tastycakes wrote:
It's hard to do anything truly climbing specific without a wall.

Maybe lose a couple pounds (if you're not an emaciated climber-type already), improve your flexibility, find a small edge to hang off of (maybe do some pullups too).

3 weeks isn't too much time off...a lot of the climbers I know could use that kind of break to heal up nagging over-use injuries. I was at the gym last night and I swear half of the climbers there were walking wounded.

+1

Consider it is 3-week recovery break. It is not a long time, and it is best to keep things simple when traveling. Take running shoes and swimsuit with you, and go running in the evening, or swimming laps if there is a pool somewhere nearby. Both don't take too much space in your luggage, and, while not climbing specific, cardio is good for you.

nickpank

May 22, 2012, 5:36 PM
Post #6 of 8 (5422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, I'll definitely be able to stretch more, and will look into picking up some of those stretch bands. Running, skipping and burpees are also on the agenda. Any more suggestions?

(This post was edited by nickpank on May 22, 2012, 5:37 PM)

sycamore

May 22, 2012, 5:55 PM
Post #7 of 8 (5408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just on the road for two months, and was only able to climb at gyms a couple times. I went to the NRG this last weekend after only being back climbing a week, and was pleasantly surprised to find that I was pretty much climbing as well as ever.

My experience with time off is that it's never as detrimental as you might think, and in the larger scheme of things, it's essential to proper healing. It also helps with my motivation at the gym, which can tend to grind my spirit down after a while.

I made sure to keep up with my pull-ups, push-ups, and a pretty intense core workout. I'd say give your fingers a break- anything you lose there you'll make up after a few sessions back home.

ceebo

May 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #8 of 8 (5194 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Can fill you full of ideal solotions bla bla.. but really, if it was me i would most likely end up doing door frame lock offs. Half crimp and 3 finger open.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook