RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Superskiier0115

May 6, 2012, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 18 (8913 views)
Shortcut

Lessons. Worth it?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've climbed before but not much. Want to do some top roping and start to lead some sport and trad routes. Don't have anyone to go with as of right now though. Is it a good idea to drop a couple hundred and get a lesson from a mountaineering venue?

USnavy

May 6, 2012, 7:11 AM
Post #2 of 18 (8878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Superskiier0115] Lessons. Worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yes, I would say so. You might feel that the climbing technique they teach you might not be worth the money as you can learn basic technique on your own for free. But the technical knowledge they give you is invaluable if you don't know what you are doing. The safety systems used in climbing are complicated. On its face, basic top roping and sport climbing belay systems seem simple, but there are quite a few small mistakes you can make that can have lethal consequences. It happens all of the time. Being able to effectively determine if a system or technique is safe requires attention to detail, experience, and technical knowledge that is best taught to you by a professional or someone experienced and competent. So if for no other reason, I would recommend professional instruction for the technical knowledge and experience you will obtain. Lastly, I would recommend obtaining said instruction from a outdoor guiding company, gym staff do not count as competent and qualified professionals, at least not in many cases.

(This post was edited by USnavy on May 6, 2012, 7:15 AM)

Superskiier0115

May 6, 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #3 of 18 (8821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Lessons. Worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I'm a diver so I'm used to paying close attention to detail for the sake of my life. Lol. And I've looked into lessons by an outdoor guiding company, (which happens to be in new york's gunks) so I'm assuming because of location that they would be top notch guides. It is world class climbing over here after all.

billcoe_

May 6, 2012, 1:45 PM
Post #4 of 18 (8807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Superskiier0115 wrote:
I've climbed before but not much. Want to do some top roping and start to lead some sport and trad routes. Don't have anyone to go with as of right now though. Is it a good idea to drop a couple hundred and get a lesson from a mountaineering venue?

You life is literally at stake here. Literally. What's your life worth to YOU? You can answer that yourself.

The climbers who stay alive and healthy the longest are the ones seeking out new info and knowledge wherever they can find it. Books, other climbers, college outdoor programs, guides.

Colinhoglund

May 6, 2012, 2:28 PM
Post #5 of 18 (8796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are two big reasons to get proper instruction.

1) What is your life worth? You might get away with doing it mostly right for a while, but it will eventually catch-up with you. Better to be aware of the things you still don't know, then live in ignorance until it bites.

2) Time is money, many beginners can learn in a weekend with a guide what would take a whole summer of futzing around on their own. Why not steepen your learning curve and get more out of your time?

canadianruby

May 6, 2012, 5:48 PM
Post #6 of 18 (8757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely. I think lessons from an experienced climber is a really really good idea. There's so much to learn. Smile

houslele

May 9, 2012, 2:02 AM
Post #7 of 18 (8512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To give you the other side of things, theres other ways to learn besides lessons. Seek out experienced partners. Go to sites like climbfind, and meetup.com to find partners and climbing groups in your area. I consider myself a very knowledgeable climber and I've never had a lesson. Theres plenty of climbers and climber groups with people that love to teach new climbers for the price of your friendship, and they will teach you the correct, safe ways. Having said that if youve got spare money to spend, go for it. Learning from other people sets you up with a new partner and friend though.

houslele

May 9, 2012, 2:03 AM
Post #8 of 18 (8510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [houslele] Lessons. Worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also this site has a good forum for finding partners

Superskiier0115

May 9, 2012, 4:33 AM
Post #9 of 18 (8470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've put a post in there but no responses yet.

houslele

May 9, 2012, 1:33 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try meetup.com

Amorino

May 16, 2012, 8:44 AM
Post #11 of 18 (8114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started climbing 3 years ago and i took what they call a "first Steps Course" iv'e been hooked ever since. getting tuition first is a must you also get to meet a lot of like minded people.

blueeyedclimber

May 16, 2012, 1:30 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Superskiier0115 wrote:

Yes, a class (or classes) will be worth it, but consider the following:

* Just like any other service, not all guides/instructors are created equal. Ask around. Word of mouth is the single most important way to find out if a particular instructor is worth it.

* Unless you want to learn a more specialized skill, like you want to learn aid techniques or self rescue, then take a class with a larger group. You won't get as much attention from the instructor, but you will meet other people around the same level as you. Be friendly and you might meet some potential partners.

* You will get more out of a class if you do some homework beforehand. Read some books and articles on the subject. Coming in with some prior knowledge will increase the learning and will also allow you to ask to questions that may have come up during your reading.

* No matter how good the instructor is, don't take what they say as gospel. Even very experienced climbers could have developed some bad habits or may have gaps in their learning. Continue your education after the class with as many different sources as possible.

Josh

healyje

May 16, 2012, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like a PADI class, it generally can't hurt, but in the end 'lessons' are fleeting exchanges of knowledge and what you're after is steady yardage and experience with competent leaders.

shockabuku

May 17, 2012, 4:52 AM
Post #14 of 18 (7947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Superskiier0115 wrote:
Thanks. I'm a diver so I'm used to paying close attention to detail for the sake of my life. Lol. And I've looked into lessons by an outdoor guiding company, (which happens to be in new york's gunks) so I'm assuming because of location that they would be top notch guides. It is world class climbing over here after all.

Be careful and pick someone with a well established reputation. I once saw a guy who guided at the Gunk's let a rope end go through his belay device while lowering someone. It was a memorable but unpleasant experience.

And be very wary of meetup.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on May 17, 2012, 4:55 AM)

masjojon

May 19, 2012, 6:26 PM
Post #15 of 18 (7809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thankx for tips..very helpfull

bandycoot

May 19, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #16 of 18 (7799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [masjojon] Lessons. Worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As someone who instructs, I'd say yes. You'll learn a lot more material, much faster than you normally would. It'll give you a better foundation to grow from early on and if you intend to be serious about climbing it'll help your entire climbing career by becoming knowledgeable earlier. I'm a very quintessentially independent person who eschews hiring someone when I can do it myself, but looking back I realize that I could have learned a lot more faster if I'd followed another path. Not that I'm unhappy with where I'm at now, just sayin...

Josh

jt512

May 19, 2012, 8:46 PM
Post #17 of 18 (7796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

houslele wrote:
To give you the other side of things, theres other ways to learn besides lessons. Seek out experienced partners. Go to sites like climbfind, and meetup.com to find partners and climbing groups in your area. I consider myself a very knowledgeable climber and I've never had a lesson.

On the other, hand you recommend meetup.com.

Jay

acorneau

May 20, 2012, 7:38 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lessons. Worth it? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
houslele wrote:
To give you the other side of things, theres other ways to learn besides lessons. Seek out experienced partners. Go to sites like climbfind, and meetup.com to find partners and climbing groups in your area. I consider myself a very knowledgeable climber and I've never had a lesson.

On the other, hand you recommend meetup.com.

Jay

Unsure

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook