Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? …
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

qwert

Jun 5, 2012, 7:00 PM
Post #1 of 20 (9312 views)
Shortcut

suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? …
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So i need some kind of container that i can put various stuff in for all kinds of trips, from climbing to business.

so far i have used my normal alpine backpack and put that with all kinds of other stuff in a giantic old kit bag.

While that works perfectly for a climbing trip with all kinds of gear + tent and related stuff, its a bit too much for a short business trip.

So i tried a hardcase suitcase.

Never again! Maybe if i ever get rich and have some poor sod carrying that thing around for me, then yes, but as long as i have to carry my luggage myself i need to be able to strap it on my back.

However just using my backpack is out of the question, since all those belts and stuff at the airport really like to eat the dozens of straps on my expensive backpack.

So i either need some robust sack to put around my bag before i hand away my luggage, or some backpack like thing that is robust enough for airline luggage handler monkey abuse.

First thing that comes to mind is a haulbag. should be robust enough, and has a stowable carrying system, but i am not sure about its closure system. Will it stay closed when it gets thrown around or stored upside down? Also, can a airport security monkey understand its closure system so that he doesnt have to cut it open when he needs to check the bag?

What about those TNF duffles? I dont really like TNF, but they seem to be somewhat the standart for such things? Also the basecamp duffle seems to have removeable shoulder straps, though it has no hip belt.

Opinions on those things?

Other suggestions?

qwert

rocknice2

Jun 5, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #2 of 20 (9293 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The TNF duffle bags are great. Very durable can be carried as a backpack and come in a few sizes.
Haul bags are great but not the best to use on a business trip.

rkelso

Jun 5, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #3 of 20 (9291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have two of the North Face Base Camp duffels. One is medium and the other XL. The removable straps are great for short distances but I would definitely not take one hiking. If it's just for business, the straps are good enough.

The real impact on the comfort is how you pack as there is no padding for your back... I was carrying boxes of auto parts in the 150 L bag on the NYC subway and the corners kept digging into me. Definitely put something soft on top when you pack.

However, I also like how water resistant they are. They're not technically waterproof but good enough to survive a downpour strapped to the back of my Jeep on the highway.

The black seems to be pretty understated so I think you could get away with it.

qwert

Jun 5, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #4 of 20 (9275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
The TNF duffle bags are great. Very durable
According to various reviews i found so far on the net, it seems like the quality goes down from year to year. but since they where literally bulletproof at the beginning, the are said to still be more than good enough as luggage. So it seems like it should be able to do the job.
In reply to:
How so? Just because of its look? That would matter, since i would be looking like an idiot with the TNF duffle and a suit too.

Or functionality wise?

qwert

qwert

Jun 5, 2012, 7:47 PM
Post #5 of 20 (9265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rkelso] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rkelso wrote:
I have two of the North Face Base Camp duffels. One is medium and the other XL. The removable straps are great for short distances but I would definitely not take one hiking. If it's just for business, the straps are good enough.
Yes, figured that out too. For hiking i of course have matching backpacks, but i guess the occasional "fuck, i missed my last bus, and there are no taxis to be found here" emergency hike should still be doable. How do the porters you see on the various expedition pics do it? They seem to carry those things for days!

Packing it right if i intend to put it on my back is of course important. Maybe i could jury rig some kind of hip belt? They seem to have dais chains all around.

qwert

acorneau

Jun 5, 2012, 8:07 PM
Post #6 of 20 (9250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In the past I've put my backpack in a large duffle bag for the trip through the airports. When you get there just pull the pack out of the duffle and then stuff the duffle in the pack.

Another thought: Misty Gorge Pack is 49L and probably rocks (no experience but Misty makes great stuff.)

http://mistymountain.com/p/9260-Gorge.htm

gblauer

Jun 5, 2012, 8:48 PM
Post #7 of 20 (9237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fly almost every day of the week. When I am climbing I take a large pack and a tumi roll aboard bag. When I am just on a business trip, I use my tumi bag exclusively. It's expandable, durable and holds a heck of a lot more than you would imagine. Not cheap, but, I have only owned three in my lifetime of business travel (26 years), averages about $90 per year for a great bag.

Incidently, when I am on a climbing trip, I usually check my clothing and carry on my gear. I would hate to have the airline lose my gear. Just remember, remove the nut tool from your carryon. TSA hates nut tools.

vinnie83

Jun 5, 2012, 9:18 PM
Post #8 of 20 (9219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to the North Face duffles, Black Diamond is making a similar line of products. I've got one of them and love it.

Haulbags generally have a cinch closure on top which isn't as secure as a zipper and also any small accessory pockets they have are usually on the inside and hard to get to.

shimanilami

Jun 5, 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #9 of 20 (9188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a couple of the TNF duffels. They're great, as long as you don't have to carry them much.

If you need to bring a backpack (e.g. you're going on a trek in Peru), you can load your pack, drop it into a large potato sack and zip-tie the opening closed. It will protect the fabric, straps, etc. from conveyor belts and grime. Also, it is easy for TSA to open and re-seal it, if necessary. Also, it's ugly and will not attract thieves. And if you want to keep the backpack inside the thing (e.g. to protect or conceal it while you carry it), you can just cut holes in it for the hip-belt and straps. Finally, a potato sack is cheap and light, easy to carry or replace.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Jun 5, 2012, 11:29 PM)

marc801

Jun 5, 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #10 of 20 (9187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You also might want to investigate stuff from Eagle Creek. They have a lot of cross-over items of varying sizes. For most of my trips I prefer some kind of wheeled soft sided luggage for my single checked bag since my main carry-on is already a small pack of some type.

A potential problem with haul bags is exceeding the size dimensions and it's far too easy to pack more than 50lbs in them.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Jun 5, 2012, 11:30 PM)

rocknice2

Jun 6, 2012, 2:19 AM
Post #11 of 20 (9161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
How so? Just because of its look? That would matter, since i would be looking like an idiot with the TNF duffle and a suit too.

Or functionality wise?

qwert

Clothes just seem to wrinkle more in a haul bag. It's like shoving a square peg into a round hole.

In the end if I was planning to get a few route during a business trip, I would bring 2 bag anyways.

qwert

Jun 6, 2012, 5:04 AM
Post #12 of 20 (9132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so i have got a few more things to look at…

The BD stuff looks nice, but they are much more expensive than TNF. Is the price difference worth it?

Potato sacks would work (though i would use apple sacks), but i am a bit afraid of the 100% bum look for business Laugh (I already tried black, heavy trashbags. That works good too, but the looks you get at check in are really priceless)

And wheeled stuff? No way! I hate those. so the tumis are out of the question too.

No matter the container, i think i can keep wrinkled shirts at bay by putting them in some kind of stiffer container that i put inside the duffle/haulbag/potato sack/whatever.

On the haulbags: I just realized that i probably will have a problem with the haul loops. Am i correct that they - unlike the carrying system - can not be stowed away?

qwert

marc801

Jun 6, 2012, 7:03 AM
Post #13 of 20 (9122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
No matter the container, i think i can keep wrinkled shirts at bay by putting them in some kind of stiffer container that i put inside the duffle/haulbag/potato sack/whatever.
Roll, don't fold, your clothes.

http://lifehacker.com/...-saves-packing-space

http://www.nytimes.com/...0100506-pack-ss.html

granite_grrl

Jun 6, 2012, 12:19 PM
Post #14 of 20 (9087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had the largest one of these for years (over 10) without problem:

http://www.mec.ca/...4/mec-duffle-bag.jsp

It's been taken on many planes, as well as general abuse on tons of climbing trips every year. Removable shoulder strap (which I never have on...actually I may have lost it), handles snap together with a heavy duty closure, super duty zipper that doesn’t show any sign of wear yet. Because the biggest one is so huge it can be a little unwieldly tossing it on your back, but it can and has been done in a number of airports.

The biggest problem will be the avalibility outside of Canada. Some items will ship outside of Canada, some items don't. I haven't looked at the TNF duffles, but maybe they're similar?

edge

Jun 6, 2012, 1:09 PM
Post #15 of 20 (9076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always travel with the haul bag that I made in 1982 for a run up Half Dome. It's the red one in this pic.

I pull the drawstring at the top and back it up with a slip knot. The haul loops are long enough to pull over the enclosure and then tie in a follow through overhand knot. Not too complicated for the authoritah to figure out and re-do after inspection. If the haul loops are not long enough, I would just tie them together with a piece of webbing and a fastex buckle over the top. Either way, it is nice and smooth with no exterior loose ends.

In all of my years of travel, it has only been searched once, while returning from an Alaskan trip. They removed some safety matches I had in a first aid kit.

It was almost searched in Toronto while coming back from Les Alps, but after looking the exterior of the bag over they just asked me what was in it and decided against it. I guess they figured that terrorists would be better funded...

As mentioned above, I just roll my clothes to store inside it. Then again, I never travel with a suit or anything that requires lack of a few wrinkles.

(This post was edited by edge on Jun 6, 2012, 1:09 PM)

skurdeycat

Jun 6, 2012, 2:15 PM
Post #16 of 20 (9060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Osprey have roller cases that have backpack straps in a zippered pocket. With all compromises, not the best of either world, but a sturdy professional-looking case that you can carry on your back if necessary. Obvious downside is that its heavier than a pure backpack. Also, expensive, you could probably buy a roller case, and a backpack for the same price.

marc801

Jun 6, 2012, 2:37 PM
Post #17 of 20 (9055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
And wheeled stuff? No way! I hate those. so the tumis are out of the question too.
Out of curiosity, why? And I'm not talking about the rollies with the dinky 1" diameter wheels - I mean the ones made by outdoor gear manufacturers with beefy, serious wheels.
http://www.altrec.com/...k-30-wheeled-luggage

markc

Jun 6, 2012, 4:34 PM
Post #18 of 20 (9033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
In the past I've put my backpack in a large duffle bag for the trip through the airports. When you get there just pull the pack out of the duffle and then stuff the duffle in the pack.

That's what I've done on several trips. My wife has an old army duffle which is really rugged and has few loops to get caught on airport machinery. There's no real structure to it, so it's easy to stow even if my pack is pretty full.

qwert

Jun 6, 2012, 6:12 PM
Post #19 of 20 (9015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] suitcase substitute for flying. Haulbag? duffle? Trashbag? … [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rolling: I already do that for most stuff. It indeed does make sense. For pants at least its the perfect method, even if you got space to spare.
Unfortunately it wont work with dress shirts.

marc801 wrote:
qwert wrote:
Out of curiosity, why?
Travelling a lot with the german railway system, you often have the pleasure to change trains in negative times. And if you do not have a DeLorean at hand, that means you have to run through the train station, and hope that your connection is as late as the train that brought you here.
And running doesnt really work with those roller things. Maybe if i ignore that fact that it should roll, and just get me a pulka, that can just slide around the curves as it wants, then yes, it would work. though i would leave a trail of knocked over old people, and run over dogs and little kids all over the train station.
If i can strap my luggage to m back, i still get slowed down (if its heavy) but i am not as handicapped as with a roller.
In reply to:
And I'm not talking about the rollies with the dinky 1" diameter wheels - I mean the ones made by outdoor gear manufacturers with beefy, serious wheels.
Like this?

That would work i guess, but it'll cost me extra if i take it on a plane. Also everyone inside the train will hate me.

So far - looking at price and availability and the fact that i just found out that i have to go on a trip on tuesday - i think the TNF duffles (or something similar) seem like the easiest solution. I guess with some additional inside bags it should adapt to business use quite well, while still staying a piece of kit that i can also use on climbing or skiing trips without any problems. I guess i have to go shopping tomorrow, and look at a few options.

qwert

bjbkkb

Jun 6, 2012, 6:40 PM
Post #20 of 20 (9008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the entire series of Patagonia Black Hole duffle bags. The 120L size fits my alpine pack, boots, ice axe and a bunch of other stuff I probably don't need.Crazy I like the durability and the water resistance. Many of a time, courtesy of the US military, I have left it lying on a tarmac waiting for a plane in bad weather. Everything inside stays dry. I also have TNF base camp and while it is nice my Patagonia Black Hole is my "go to" bag.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook