Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
First-time-to-LH beta?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

7esc1

Jul 9, 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3468 views)
Shortcut

First-time-to-LH beta?  (North_America: Canada: Ontario: Central_Ontario: Lions_Head)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm hoping to head up to the Bruce and check out Lion's Head later this month. I've never been there and also never been exposed to hanging belays before. I have been reading alot on the area but am still trying to get a better understanding of the area...

1. Are there designated rappelling stations (ie with rap rings) for the routes? I assume we shouldn't use trees?
2a. Do all the routes end off at the top on the cliff?
2b. If so, does it become a top belaying system after?

Any other things I should know?

Kartessa

Jul 9, 2012, 2:14 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [7esc1] First-time-to-LH beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

7esc1 wrote:
I'm hoping to head up to the Bruce and check out Lion's Head later this month. I've never been there and also never been exposed to hanging belays before. I have been reading alot on the area but am still trying to get a better understanding of the area...

1. Are there designated rappelling stations (ie with rap rings) for the routes? I assume we shouldn't use trees?
2a. Do all the routes end off at the top on the cliff?
2b. If so, does it become a top belaying system after?

Any other things I should know?

1. There are no rings or bolts to rap off. You need to use trees, but often times you're going to have to go a distance back for something beefy because close to the edge is nothing but little cedars.

2a. Most routes are a topout, there are a couple of ground-up routes that don't quite top out, don't worry about them though.

2b. Yes, you belay from above unless you want to play toprope-tard from a hanging belay and jug your way out.

I'm going to be super nice and say that you're best off going with someone who's been before. Rap into the wrong line and you're on a 5.12 instead of a 5.8. There's no labels at the top (well there are some but good luck finding them on your first trip out). You'll end up having to do the 4 hour hike back to town or having to jug up (better pray someone has a pair of ascenders) and you have a lot of juice in the tank.

I'm also going to be an asshole and tell you that not knowing what you're in for is a good way to get yourself hurt so bring someone who knows what they're doing. With the questions above you have no place playing guide at this one.

7esc1

Jul 9, 2012, 3:10 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] First-time-to-LH beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok. Thanks for the info. Latvian Ledge seems like there are easy climbs to choose from and a designated rappelling station.

Kartessa

Jul 9, 2012, 3:16 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3408 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

7esc1 wrote:
Ok. Thanks for the info. Latvian Ledge seems like there are easy climbs to choose from and a designated rappelling station.

I'm still saying you shouldn't be leading the group you're with...

But whatever... it's your funeral.

granite_grrl

Jul 9, 2012, 3:48 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

7esc1 wrote:

There is no desinated rappel stations at this cliff and you have to climb out. Make sure you know how to set up a safe rap station from trees, etc, and can climb out with your pack.

You'll still need to figure out where Latvian Ledge is and the best place to rap into it. For your first time I will also strongly urge you to head out with someone who has been there before.

Kartessa

Jul 9, 2012, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] First-time-to-LH beta? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
7esc1 wrote:

There is no desinated rappel stations at this cliff and you have to climb out. Make sure you know how to set up a safe rap station from trees, etc, and can climb out with your pack.

You'll still need to figure out where Latvian Ledge is and the best place to rap into it. For your first time I will also strongly urge you to head out with someone who has been there before.

One weekend, I want to take my binoculars and watch the shit-show from the water...

... Got a boat?

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook