RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

nick97

Aug 6, 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2295 views)
Shortcut

right wrist carpal tunnel syndrome?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My right wrist has been hurting for like 6 or 7 months now. Its not a sharp pain and it doesent even bother me too much when i climb. By the way my left wrist is completely fine. The problem is, once i get home it starts hurting like Ive strained it or something. I fear its tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome. When I try to move my wrist around on a rest day I feel a constant dull paint hat worsens as i bend it towards my forearm. Is it carpal tunnel syndrome? And if so what should I do other than rest and take it easy. Ive been icing it, anything else? Please help, Im worried how it will affect my climbing.

NikNak

Aug 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nick97] right wrist carpal tunnel syndrome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't sound like carpal tunnel, you would be experiencing shooting pains in your forearms and most likely pins and needles also.

I would highly advise you go to a doctors for a check though, he most likely won't be sure and will refer you to a physio who should be able to diagnose and work with you on your wrist. If it is carpal tunnel im afraid ice wont fix your problem, its surgery required.

nick97

Aug 9, 2012, 9:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NikNak] right wrist carpal tunnel syndrome? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont think its bad enough to get surgery. As my technique improves do you think it will get better?

NikNak

Aug 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dunno mate, I'm new to climbing so couldn't comment and I've had no medical training so couldn't comment. I just know the symptoms of carpal tunnel because I got it from working on computers +10 hours a day for 15 years in a stress position.

Like i said, i'd highly recommend visiting the doctors.

pedro_sandchez

Aug 14, 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doesn't sound like CTS to me.
I was diagnosed with CTS in both hands three years ago. It doesn't usually manifest as 'pain' more numbness and stiffness of the wrist/fingers. Carpal Tunnel also only effects the thumb, index, and middle fingers. If your pain is outside of that zone, then it is definitely something else.

Get it checked out and see what the Dr diagnoses it as. However, if they say CTS and recommend surgery, don't just go for it right off the bat. Request PT. I did surgery on my right arm and regret it to this day. The result sucked so bad I refused it on my left even though the doctor wanted to do it. I then pursued alternative work on my hands in the form of deep tissue massage, active release therapy, and soem standard physio. The result is that now my un-operated hand is in much better health than the operated one. In fact, the physio that does my active release therapy is convinced that I never really had carpal tunnel but that the symptoms were coming from muscular tension/imbalances in my shoulders and elbows. Since she has given me massive amounts of relief (I no longer have symptoms in my left hand) I believe her!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook