Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

04axeman

Aug 17, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #1 of 26 (20294 views)
Shortcut

Lead climb quickdraws
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Outdoor climbing, do you rappell from top rope and set quickdraws to clip into, or clip to the bolt then to rope while holding as you ascend?

snoopy138

Aug 17, 2012, 5:47 PM
Post #2 of 26 (20279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [04axeman] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

04axeman wrote:
Outdoor climbing, do you rappell from top rope and set quickdraws to clip into, or clip to the bolt then to rope while holding as you ascend?

you get your friend to go up the route first and hang the draws.

Kartessa

Aug 17, 2012, 6:54 PM
Post #3 of 26 (20238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

04axeman wrote:

Don't bother... all the cool kids toprope

surfstar

Aug 17, 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #4 of 26 (20176 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Draw Monkey (TM)

marc801

Aug 18, 2012, 1:31 AM
Post #5 of 26 (20149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

04axeman wrote:
The leader clips a draw to a bolt then clips the rope as they ascend. At many sport areas it is very difficult to get to the anchors from the top via rappel.

dagibbs

Aug 18, 2012, 2:32 AM
Post #6 of 26 (20137 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
04axeman wrote:

Don't bother... all the cool kids toprope

What she said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsAiOYXC-k0

granite_grrl

Aug 20, 2012, 4:08 PM
Post #7 of 26 (20014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
04axeman wrote:

This.

A smart climber hangs out with someone who warms up on their project.

jdensign5

Aug 20, 2012, 5:14 PM
Post #8 of 26 (19990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Depends on how free of a climb you want to climb. It is around the same as pre clipping the first bolt before you start. If you have access to the top and can rappel down and pre place, and the climb is really at your limit, then go ahead and pre place them. For a more "true free climb" place as you climb up. I like to place as I go unless the climb is too hard for me.

jt512

Aug 20, 2012, 5:39 PM
Post #9 of 26 (19972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdensign5] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
Depends on how free of a climb you want to climb. It is around the same as pre clipping the first bolt before you start. If you have access to the top and can rappel down and pre place, and the climb is really at your limit, then go ahead and pre place them. For a more "true free climb" place as you climb up. I like to place as I go unless the climb is too hard for me.

Since the definition of "free climb" is to climb the route without weighting the rope or the protection, there are no degrees of free climbing. You either weighted the gear or you did not. Therefore, pre-clipping the first bolt or pre-hanging the draws does not affect whether the route will be climbed free.

Jay

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 5:54 PM
Post #10 of 26 (19959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
04axeman wrote:

This.

What if you don't have any friends?

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 5:55 PM
Post #11 of 26 (19958 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Since the definition of "free climb" is to climb the route without weighting the rope or the protection, there are no degrees of free climbing. You either weighted the gear or you did not. Therefore, pre-clipping the first bolt or pre-hanging the draws does not affect whether the route will be climbed free.

Jay

someone just got served!

granite_grrl

Aug 20, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #12 of 26 (19943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
04axeman wrote:

This.

Well, you know what they say....

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 26 (19942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
04axeman wrote:

This.

Well, you know what they say....

No, I dont know what they say... My friends never told me Unsure

jdensign5

Aug 20, 2012, 6:48 PM
Post #14 of 26 (19922 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Jay
Actually, the definition of free climbing is to climb with only your hands and feet and other body parts without the use of artificial aid. There are different degrees and opinionsof what a true free climb is. Part of free climbing to me, includes placing protection as you progress upward, not only weighting the rope, it depends on how strict you are on the subject.
There are certain free climbing transgressions, for example. The current climbing magazine issue, page 33. Taint o meter. One end of the meter is a total free climb, the middle is questionable free climb, the end is not free at all. In between free and questionably free, includes: chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro. In between questionably free and not free at all includes: take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling, aid. There are different opinions on what a true free climb is, and preplacing gear is regarded mostly as diminished style, i.e., NOT AS GOOD.

As per wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_climbing
As matters of style, any of the following are likely to be regarded similarly by most free climbers across the various cultures. Generally, the following diminish the perception of "good style":
Pre-placing gear (pinkpointing)

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 20, 2012, 6:58 PM)

lena_chita

Aug 20, 2012, 7:01 PM
Post #15 of 26 (19899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Jay
Actually, the definition of free climbing is to climb with only your hands and feet and other body parts without the use of artificial aid. There are different degrees and opinionsof what a true free climb is. Part of free climbing to me, includes placing protection as you progress upward, not only weighting the rope, it depends on how strict you are on the subject.
There are certain free climbing transgressions, for example. The current climbing magazine issue, page 33. Taint o meter. One end of the meter is a total free climb, the middle is questionable free climb, the end is not free at all. In between free and questionably free, includes: chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro. In between questionably free and not free at all includes: take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling, aid. There are different opinions on what a true free climb is, and preplacing gear is regarded mostly as diminished style, i.e., NOT AS GOOD.

As per wiki:
As matters of style, any of the following are likely to be regarded similarly by most free climbers across the various cultures. Generally, the following diminish the perception of "good style":

This is a sport climbing forum.

csproul

Aug 20, 2012, 7:20 PM
Post #16 of 26 (19888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Jay

As per wiki:
Once again, I think you are confused. Jay is right. The only thing that defines a free climb is whether you have climbed the route under your own power using only the rock for progress without weighting gear or rope etc (fairly loose definition, I'm sure a better one could be written)...

All your other examples are clearly not free climbing or are different styles of free climbing.

jdensign5 wrote:
chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro.

Seriously? Chalk? Give me a break, not worth even addressing. Pre-hanging draws or gear...still free climbing, see below. Same with stickclipping. Resting off-route? Still a free ascent, just maybe not of the intended route.

jdensign5 wrote:
take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling,

All examples of aid. Sometimes in sport climbing these are accepted methods to eventually achieving a free ascent.

Pinkpointing? With respect to sport climbing, this is pretty much an antiquated term. But even if you feel otherwise, pre-placing gear or draws does not invalidate a free ascent. You still free-climbed the route, just a different style of free climb. Just as a redpoint or a flash or an onsight are also free-climbing.

(This post was edited by csproul on Aug 20, 2012, 7:27 PM)

shotwell

Aug 20, 2012, 7:23 PM
Post #17 of 26 (19884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:

Jay

As per wiki:

This is a sport climbing forum.

I wish I could give this post a million stars.

jdensign5

Aug 20, 2012, 7:57 PM
Post #18 of 26 (19852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Lead climb quickdraws [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sometimes in sport climbing these are accepted methods to eventually achieving a free ascent
Yes, I never said using those methods don't make it a free ascent. I said there are different degress and levels at which one regards a true free ascent.

In reply to:
Pinkpointing? With respect to sport climbing, this is pretty much an antiquated term. But even if you feel otherwise, pre-placing gear or draws does not invalidate a free ascent. You still free-climbed the route, just a different style of free climb. Just as a redpoint or a flash or an onsight are also free-climbing.
Yes, I never said that preplacing gear means that it wasn't a free climb, now did I? I don't think I am the one here who is confused.

csproul

Aug 20, 2012, 8:11 PM
Post #19 of 26 (19842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
In reply to:
Sometimes in sport climbing these are accepted methods to eventually achieving a free ascent
Yes, I never said using those methods don't make it a free ascent. I said there are different degress and levels at which one regards a true free ascent.

No, I said these methods defined aid climbing as opposed to free climbing (grabbing draws, standing on a bolt, standing on a sling, hanging on gear). You had some bullshit about how these were different "degress and levels" of free climbing. They are not. They are pretty much the definition of aid climbing...i.e NOT free climbing.

jdensign5 wrote:
In reply to:
Yes, I never said that preplacing gear means that it wasn't a free climb, now did I? I don't think I am the one here who is confused.
No, this is what you said
jdensign5 wrote:

And it is complete bullshit, especially wrt sport climbing. Prehanging draws does nothing to make a free climb less of a "true free climb". You either climbed it free, or you did not. How you protected it does not define whether or not it was free climbed..

(This post was edited by csproul on Aug 20, 2012, 8:16 PM)

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 8:12 PM
Post #20 of 26 (19838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
In reply to:

In reply to:

Heh... typical

But No... you are the one that's confused.

jdensign5

Aug 20, 2012, 8:51 PM
Post #21 of 26 (19814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

It is fine if you all feel that the only thing that matters in free climbing is whether you weight the rope or not. There are people that care about style, though and more than just whether the rope or protection was weighted or held onto. That doesn't mean it wasn't a free ascent.

Mr. Erickson, care to help me out? I don't think I am getting my point across.

(This post was edited by jdensign5 on Aug 20, 2012, 9:20 PM)

Kartessa

Aug 20, 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #22 of 26 (19775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
It is fine if you all feel that the only thing that matters in free climbing is whether you weight the rope or not. There are people that care about style, though and more than just whether the rope or protection was weighted or held onto. That doesn't mean it wasn't a free ascent.

I'm sure you're a style queen.

It's pretty black and white. Either you do it all under your own power without the Aid or assistance of gear or you don't. The gear (nuts, cams, bolts) is to protect you, not to help you.

shotwell

Aug 21, 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #23 of 26 (19745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:

There are very few stylistic transgressions possible in sport climbing, with most linked to onsighting and flashing. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of sport climbing, though it isn't common for people to fail to realize that hanging draws just doesn't fucking matter.

For top level sport climbers it is the exception and not the rule to hang draws on a redpoint burn. I can't express how uncommon it is for real sport climbers to care about hanging draws whatsoever.

jt512

Aug 21, 2012, 2:36 AM
Post #24 of 26 (19709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jdensign5 wrote:
Actually, the definition of free climbing is to climb with only your hands and feet and other body parts without the use of artificial aid.

That is correct.

In reply to:
There are different degrees and opinions of what a true free climb is.

No there are not different degrees of what a "true" free climb is. If there were, then the definition you gave above would be wrong—but the definition you gave above is correct. Therefore, there are no "degrees" of free climbing. You have either weighted the protection, or you have not. And while there may be opinions, the overwhelming consensus of what a "true" free climb is, is essentially given by the definition you wrote above. That is, that definition is the one accepted by the overwhelming majority of experienced climbers.

In reply to:
Part of free climbing to me, includes placing protection as you progress upward, not only weighting the rope, it depends on how strict you are on the subject.

It only depends to you because you've made up your own definition of free climbing, one which entails how the protection gets put up.

In reply to:
There are certain free climbing transgressions, for example. The current climbing magazine issue, page 33. Taint o meter. One end of the meter is a total free climb, the middle is questionable free climb, the end is not free at all. In between free and questionably free, includes: chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro. In between questionably free and not free at all includes: take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling, aid.

OK, so there are at least two people with mistaken ideas about what a free climb is: you and the author of that article.

In reply to:
There are different opinions on what a true free climb is and preplacing gear is regarded mostly as diminished style, i.e., NOT AS GOOD.

No, the definition of free climbing is unambiguous: climbing without weighting the gear. Yes, there are differences in the style used to accomplish a free climb, and most climbers think that those differences in style translate to gradations in the quality of how the free climb was done (more so in the trad climbing than the sport climbing context).

In reply to:
As per wiki:

That is uncontroversial (as applied to trad, anyway). But that has not been what you've been arguing. A route climbed freely (that is, without aid) in the worst possible style is still a "true" free ascent. Most climbers would probably agree that that some free ascents have been done in better style than others, but hardly any climber would claim that the quality of the ascent affects the "freeness" of the ascent, which is precisely what you are arguing.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Aug 21, 2012, 3:21 AM)

marc801

Aug 21, 2012, 7:30 PM
Post #25 of 26 (19617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
jdensign5 wrote:
There are certain free climbing transgressions, for example. The current climbing magazine issue, page 33. Taint o meter. One end of the meter is a total free climb, the middle is questionable free climb, the end is not free at all. In between free and questionably free, includes: chalk, climb off route to rest, pre hang quick draws, stick clip bolts, pre place pro. In between questionably free and not free at all includes: take, grab bolt or draw, stand on bolt, stand on sling, aid.

OK, so there are at least two people with mistaken ideas about what a free climb is: you and the author of that article.
I fear that damned page in Climbing is going to haunt us for years. Experienced climbers can see the humor and understand the satire, but n00bs and the clueless will interpret it as some sort of iron-clad definition and start spouting bull shit like "degrees" of "true free climbing".

Just like the nonsense of being able to on-sight a climb on your 4th attempt or numerous other examples from this site.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook