RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

SylviaSmile

Aug 24, 2012, 9:13 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4371 views)
Shortcut

Overall fatigue?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, if y'all feel tired/fatigued for no apparent reason, but just this kind of "high gravity" sensation, do you typically push yourself to climb/train anyway? Do you take a rest day?

wonderwoman

Aug 25, 2012, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Overall fatigue? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, & I usually feel better once I start climbing. Why is this a ladies' room subject?

SylviaSmile

Aug 25, 2012, 3:07 AM
Post #3 of 9 (4350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Overall fatigue? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I felt like it might relate to lady-specific ailments. Angelic

clee03m

Aug 25, 2012, 4:15 AM
Post #4 of 9 (4345 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends. If I am working towards a goal (like a project or a trip), I push forward. If I am in a relaxed mode (like now) I take a rest.

If what I feel is as a result of hormones, my approach would be the same.

wonderwoman

Aug 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

I guess those 'ailments' never held me back. But it's always best to listen to your own body.

I fall victim to epic migraines a few times per year. I got one riding into the Gunks last weekend. When my visual aura cleared, I was miraculously still standing, but feeling weak. I popped 4 Motrin & designated myself as belay slave for the day. That was the best damn migraine I ever had! I feel lucky that I wasn't curled up in a ball in the backseat of the car for the day. I took what my body allowed me to do.

dan2see

Aug 25, 2012, 3:19 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

My step-daughter suffered from all-around tiredness and fatigue. This was chronic, going on for several years. It affected her work, and she needed her husband's help for a lot of things.
Finally they discovered that her menstruation was too much, too long, too uncontrolled, and she was anemic from blood loss. Surgery was required, and now she's a new woman.

My dental hygienist came from the Philippines. She loves sea-food and doesn't buy our wonderful Alberta beef. She became anemic, because there wasn't enough iron in diet. So she has a choice: iron pills, or steak.

These examples were drastic enough that intervention was required. My advice to you is, get a check-up from your doctor, to start with a known base-line for your health and fitness level.

smallclimber

Aug 25, 2012, 8:22 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So in that case I wouldn't really call your fatigue "no apparent reason"...... I was going to reply last night saying probably related to your cycle in some way, but your post appeared to suggest it was random?
Someone did suggest iron. I have no experience myself with needing that normally, but during my first pregnancy I became anemic and had a few fainting fits. They picked it up at a routine blood test and once I started taking iron supplements I felt much better. So perhaps there is a connection with your low energy and lack of iron.

lena_chita

Aug 27, 2012, 1:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

If you think your fatigue symptoms are related to your monthly cycle, then there IS a reason for fatigue-- it isn't just random and for no apparent reason. As others have suggested, checking for anemia might be good. The other thing you maybe should check is thyroid.

In general, I believe that pushing through fatigue is not a good thing, unless it is a little bit of sluggishness that you know (from past experience) will improve with physical activity.

Other than the first few ovulation cycles after a long period of non-ovulation (pregnancy/breastfeeding), I haven't noticed a major effect of the monthly cycles on climbing.

Bleeding can get stronger/heavier with physical exertion, but cramping seems to get less strong, at least for me.

But to answer your question, I think the answer is, it depends on multiple factors other than just my fatigue. If the weather is gorgeous, I am on a climbing trip, and my partner is excited to go, I would likely climb through fatigue, but take it easy to start, and see how I feel as the day progresses. If the weather sucks, I have been climbing for couple days in a row, and my partner is not too psyched, I would probably take a rest day.

SylviaSmile

Aug 27, 2012, 9:14 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Overall fatigue? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! It seems to have passed, and I don't think it was hormonal--actually it could have been related to my once again cutting out refined sugar a few days before, I always forget how that affects me. Good thought about anemia, though; I have had borderline anemia in the past, so I am trying to stay on top of supplements/dark veg/etc. to keep those iron levels up! *drinks banana-blueberry-chard smoothie* Smile

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook