Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zealotnoob

Jun 27, 2012, 9:08 PM
Post #1 of 35 (26188 views)
Shortcut

Running Daily and Training for Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've started running before work 4 or 5 days during the week in a bid to become more lean, and eventually improve my climbing. I'm two weeks in, and I've found that I just can't pull as hard when I climb at the gym in the evening.

Can anyone speak to this? Is this just my energy levels adjusting, or does running the same day you climb fundamentally curb your ability?

shockabuku

Jun 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 35 (26156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zealotnoob wrote:
I've started running before work 4 or 5 days during the week in a bid to become more lean, and eventually improve my climbing. I'm two weeks in, and I've found that I just can't pull as hard when I climb at the gym in the evening.

Can anyone speak to this? Is this just my energy levels adjusting, or does running the same day you climb fundamentally curb your ability?

When I work out earlier in the day prior to climbing it sometimes seems to effect my later performance. Usually it happens if I wait too late in the day and don't have enough recovery time between (<4-5 hrs.). A not too intense run early in the day seems to be okay.

wmshub

Jun 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 35 (26140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I run more than 2 or 3 days a week, I don't get enough time to recover and start feeling worn out all the time. Probably good for weight loss, not so good for being at my best strength.

sungam

Jun 28, 2012, 7:43 AM
Post #4 of 35 (26067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that as long as I drink plenty of water and sports drinks and have 4 or more hours of rest between riding hard and climbing it's not really noticeable. In fact I often climb better since I feel more flexible (I stretch after riding).

granite_grrl

Jun 28, 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #5 of 35 (26050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very likely your energy levels are adjusting. You'll have to feel it out, likely 4-5 days a week is a little too intense to start off with. Either you'll burn out at this pace or your body will get used to it and you can continue.

zealotnoob

Jun 28, 2012, 2:19 PM
Post #6 of 35 (26018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all.

Was reading around and saw that Sasha DiGuilian runs "6 – 8 miles about 5 days a week to maintain stamina." That blows my mind. I've got work to do.

rhythm164

Jun 28, 2012, 2:39 PM
Post #7 of 35 (26012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you probably shouldn't compare yourself to Sasha DiGulian. You're probably overdoing it. I've tried to do cardio and train in the gym in the same day, and I find that it just doesn't really work, at least for me. You'd might be better off scaling back the running to non-climbing days and modifiying your diet to help achieve your weight loss goals. Give yourself some time to recover, but I guess that depends on how far your daily runs are. What sort of mileage do yo uput down in the morning?

zealotnoob

Jun 28, 2012, 3:09 PM
Post #8 of 35 (26000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhythm164] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The first week it was 2.5 mile runs. This week its been 3 miles runs. So it's pretty low mileage. I'll keep this level until my energy comes up.

rhythm164

Jun 28, 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #9 of 35 (25910 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I wouldn't think that kind of mileage would be detrimental. Have you thought about going at night after the gym?

bentgate03

Jul 9, 2012, 4:06 PM
Post #10 of 35 (25488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is not a lot of mileage. I would look at your diet assuming you are in good enough shape to be doing what you are trying.

Water, diet. What are you eating and drinking on those days after your run? Before you climb?

You are problably not getting enough calories.

zealotnoob

Jul 9, 2012, 7:34 PM
Post #11 of 35 (25426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bentgate03] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to have bounced back. Mileage is up to around 20 a week, and the gym sessions are improving. Though I've changed my schedule so I run the mornings I don't go to the gym. I'll continue to play with the schedule as I add miles.

I've been drinking a lot more water and eating a bit more. I need to do better about having some good food available after the gym, which is quite late. I usually metro home, which takes at hour, then wolf something down before crashing.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Jul 9, 2012, 8:33 PM)

gblauer

Jul 9, 2012, 8:00 PM
Post #12 of 35 (25415 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

can you bring a high quality protein bar to the gym? Eat it on the way home, top it with high protein cereal, yougurt, fruit before bed?

zealotnoob

Jul 9, 2012, 8:31 PM
Post #13 of 35 (25401 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I need to do something like that. Though, I've been trying to avoid products like protein bars, and keep with real, mostly vegan, food (and when I diverge I would like it to be in the form of dry-aged, grassfed ribeye). I should probably load up on trailmix.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Jul 9, 2012, 8:43 PM)

gblauer

Jul 9, 2012, 8:37 PM
Post #14 of 35 (25397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel the same way, in fact, I have been a vegetarian for 43 years. That said, sometimes convenience rules. Even things like Kind Bars have good protein (nuts).

T_Nix35

Jul 13, 2012, 2:29 PM
Post #15 of 35 (25151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would not eat fruit before bed because of the sugars in it. Although they are natural sugars you are not going to be doing anything but rebuilding muscle while you sleep so the sugars may be stored as fat if you eat too much. I know whenever I get done working out I come home and eat like some tuna salad or chicken with some type of vegetable. That way I am getting protein and carbs so i can rebuild my muscle while my body rests. Hey I also have a question for the OP how are you motivating yourself to get up and run everyday? Are you just sucking it up or are you like mentally preparing your self? Or whatever you do I would like to know so I can try it because I stink at making myself run.

eric_k

Jul 13, 2012, 2:59 PM
Post #16 of 35 (25140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [T_Nix35] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In a average week I will run anywhere between 4 and 8 miles 5 days a week, and one of those is usually a long run 15+ miles. For a short time it affected my climbing, but now I have adjusted and I do my low intensity endurance workouts on running days. If I am doing a strength workout or climbing outside I do it on non running days. If I am getting enough sleep and eating well running does not seem to hold me back with climbing. Now that my body has adjusted I think that doing two workouts, run/climb, in one day really helps prepare for long days in the mountains where they may be a long strenuous approach before the climbing even starts.

Others probably know more than me, but I am not to sure that running will help much for general crag climbing, other than weight loss. Running works a completely different system in my body then climbing does. I only do it because love trail running, and it is good for alpine climbing. All of my friends who are much stronger then me keep telling saying that if I put half of my running time into more climbing training I could be much stronger as well.

Do any of you out there think that running has helped your climbing beyond weight loss?

mheyman

Jul 15, 2012, 1:59 PM
Post #17 of 35 (24993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eric_k] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eric_k wrote:
Do any of you out there think that running has helped your climbing beyond weight loss?

Absolutely and not just a little bit. I try run 15 mi of trails a week in three days. Running always affects my climbing and I don't do both in one day. Running builds my endurance for every sport I do and it builds more strength than others give it credit for.

Use running to help peak when you want. I like run hard for a few months before a trip, or climbing season and the stop a couple of weeks before. I get an instant bump of at least a grade.

Ned_Ludd

Jul 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #18 of 35 (24172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [T_Nix35] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

T_Nix35 wrote:
I would not eat fruit before bed because of the sugars in it. .

IME eating before sleeping is a bad idea. The body works best with 12-14 hrs of daily fasting. It needs that time for better nutrient absorption that is inhibited when food keeps entering the digestive system. If your working out late then just try having a later breakfast or lighter then normal breakfast. I have been experimenting with this and have really enjoyed the results.

bentgate03

Jul 30, 2012, 8:39 PM
Post #19 of 35 (24105 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ned_Ludd] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not if your last workout is at night. No way should you work out, and then go to bed with an empty stomach. Talk about killing your work-out.

In this example, eat what you are eating but delay your breakfast until later until you get a good 10-12 hours of fasting.

I have no idea where you got the 12-14 hours thing. I would like to see some research on that.

Ned_Ludd

Jul 30, 2012, 9:57 PM
Post #20 of 35 (24088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'diet and nutrition: a holistic approach' by Rudolph Ballantine md

There is a whole chapter on fasting.

I agree that eating after a workout is essential. However I have seen real positive benefits when I maintain the 12-14 hour daily fast. Which obviously means that breakfast is delayed the following day. This is my experience, so please take with a grain of salt but I highly recommend that book, it's a thick read but very informative and providers a different view from western science view of nutrition.

If anyone reading has relevant input about their experience with combining running, eating and climbing; I would love to hear what works and what doesn't.

bentgate03

Jul 31, 2012, 2:29 PM
Post #21 of 35 (23992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I on't disagree that fasting is great for the body. The body is constantly digesting food and you need to give it some reprieve from that so it can do other things like repair, flush, heal etc. I completely agree fasting is beneficial.

My point was a fast should not occur after a work-out. So in this I think we are in agreement as well. Eat after your work-out then delay breakfast the next day to honor the fast.

Ned_Ludd

Jul 31, 2012, 3:25 PM
Post #22 of 35 (23980 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Indeed.

joecoov

Sep 8, 2012, 3:12 AM
Post #23 of 35 (22801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why doesn't the heart need to a reprieve from pumping blood, or the liver from cleaning out toxins, or the kidneys from filtering blood, or the bladder from peeing?
I've seen research that decreased calorie diets can decrease risk for major diseases compared to normal kcal diets, but little research on fasting except after famines such as holocaust and the irish potato famine. They find these forced "fastes" increase risk for obesity and other major illnesses.

You are right about exercise and eating though, its easy to find the research that shows eating within 2 hours of finishing activity improves recovery, and helps decrease muscle loss and fatigue.
Just my 2 cents.

bentgate03 wrote:
I on't disagree that fasting is great for the body. The body is constantly digesting food and you need to give it some reprieve from that so it can do other things like repair, flush, heal etc. I completely agree fasting is beneficial.

My point was a fast should not occur after a work-out. So in this I think we are in agreement as well. Eat after your work-out then delay breakfast the next day to honor the fast.

mheyman

Sep 8, 2012, 2:02 PM
Post #24 of 35 (22752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The body works best with 12-14 hrs of daily fasting. It needs that time for better nutrient absorption that is inhibited when food keeps entering the digestive system.

I don't need to eat frequently, but noone else in my family could go nearly that long. They need to eat regularly, very regularly, and none of them are over weight.

ObviousTroll

Sep 8, 2012, 3:57 PM
Post #25 of 35 (22738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mheyman] Running Daily and Training for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mheyman wrote:
In reply to:
The body works best with 12-14 hrs of daily fasting. It needs that time for better nutrient absorption that is inhibited when food keeps entering the digestive system.

I don't need to eat frequently, but noone else in my family could go nearly that long. They need to eat regularly, very regularly, and none of them are over weight.

He is saying that the 8 hours of sleep you get per night (lol) are included in that 12-14 hours. So basically eat dinner at 6 pm, go to bed at 9, wake up at 5, don't eat until 8 am or so. I could understand not being able to wait that long in the morning, but I don't think that's what you meant. I also don't agree with the idea of 12-14 hours of fasting. Sounds like somebody elses gimmicky diet to me.

As for running, I also feel worn out and smoked if I run 4 or more times a week. However I am trying to lose weight so I'm running VERY hard and also incorporate weight training.

Before, I used to wake up and run six miles every morning at a 7-8 minute mile pace 5 days a week. I never felt weak. My legs felt mechanical. But I wasn't trying to lose weight.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook