Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 5:35 PM
Post #1 of 29 (13954 views)
Shortcut

Nuts for Anchors
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did my first Trad climb at Moore's Wall in North Carolina and it was the first climbing area where they don't have bolted anchors like I see at other climbing areas such as Pilot Mountain.

Anyway, we trad climbed up Wailing Wall and when it was time to Rappel down I noticed that the anchor system was nothing but three nuts in a crack. I was scared out of my mind but at the same time I knew that I did not have a choice.

One thing I did not mention was that my glasses had been accidentally kicked off my face after first pitch and therefore could not see much after that. So, I did not get a very good look at the anchors and had to trust the people that I was with. We did find my glasses after we were all safely on the ground

Anyway, I could not believe that the Nutty Anchors that are placed there instead of solid bolted anchors.

I get the impression that after so many people using this anchor it begins to wear-and-tear or some idiot could easily mess with the anchors.

One thing for sure, I am no longer climbing there.

billl7

Sep 25, 2012, 5:51 PM
Post #2 of 29 (13941 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madkiki] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:
I did my first Trad climb at Moore's Wall in North Carolina and it was the first climbing area where they don't have bolted anchors like I see at other climbing areas such as Pilot Mountain.

Anyway, we trad climbed up Wailing Wall and when it was time to Rappel down I noticed that the anchor system was nothing but three nuts in a crack. I was scared out of my mind but at the same time I knew that I did not have a choice.

One thing I did not mention was that my glasses had been accidentally kicked off my face after first pitch and therefore could not see much after that. So, I did not get a very good look at the anchors and had to trust the people that I was with. We did find my glasses after we were all safely on the ground

Anyway, I could not believe that the Nutty Anchors that are placed there instead of solid bolted anchors.

I get the impression that after so many people using this anchor it begins to wear-and-tear or some idiot could easily mess with the anchors.

On MP.com it looks like Wailing Wall is a one-pitch wall (never been there). Still, if someone in your party traditionally led then that person should be comfortable inspecting the fixed-gear anchors. So maybe it comes down to whether you are comfortable with the anchor assessment of whoever did the leading?

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 25, 2012, 5:52 PM)

jeepnphreak

Sep 25, 2012, 5:57 PM
Post #3 of 29 (13931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:

TRAD climbing trad stands for traditional climbing, you use cams, nuts, stopper, tricams, hexes ect. Then after the climb you remove the gear and use an another climb.

madkiki wrote:

3 nuts are a ligit anchor stronger than you think. oh yes and it trad climbing, some times you have to bulid a gear anchor. Some times you dont have the luxery of bolted anchors.

madkiki wrote:

um so you need to get contacts or a croki for you self. . .

madkiki wrote:

yep trad climbing! I getting a theme here

madkiki wrote:

Are you sure your climbing partners left the gear up top, or did they retrieve the nuts later? I dont know the route you where on so I dont know. But with climbing you better get used to checking the anchor to be sure its safe.

madkiki wrote:

If you must. . . more routs for me!

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 6:02 PM
Post #4 of 29 (13923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Nutty System is left there by I assume the state park. It is not our equipment.

marc801

Sep 25, 2012, 6:07 PM
Post #5 of 29 (13919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:
The Nutty System is left there by I assume the state park. It is not our equipment.
1. stop calling it a "Nutty System" - anchors consisting of only nuts, cams, or whatever combination are the norm in trad climbing, not the exception. However fixed nut anchors are pretty uncommon, so there's more going on here that you're not explaining.

2. Because of liability concerns, I'd be very surprised if the state park had any involvement what so ever with placing fixed anchors.

3. Don't use Pilot Mountain as a reference base for comparison to any other area.

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 6:14 PM
Post #6 of 29 (13905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for everyone responding. Most of my experience is Top-ropping and this was my first true Traditional climbing experience. Therefore I have a lot to learn.

Wish I had taken a photograph of the anchor system for all to see, that way everyone could help me out with this.

WesleyCalkins

Sep 25, 2012, 7:12 PM
Post #7 of 29 (13863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok so the route you are talking about is a great first trad lead. Good stances and lots of good gear to be had. I guide this route in 2 pitches just so I can see my client the whole time. A few things about this anchor that you are not mentioning. 1 is that it is not just some nuts off of someones rack left for others. These nuts have been made using stainless steel cables and stainless steel quicklinks. Also the cable is thicker than regular aircraft cable used on the nuts on your rack. A little history is that moores has a fierce trad ethic spurred on by a guy name d Tim Fisher. In fact this style anchor is called a fisher anchor. They are all over NC. The route space monkey at Rumbling Bald has this same set up. As well as the first 5.8 pitch of Safari Jive at Looking Glass. The one on safari jive is actually fixed number 10 hexes. Like others have said. Not all areas have convenience anchors like the one found at Pilot. In fact pilot is the oddity in NC.

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 7:19 PM
Post #8 of 29 (13854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WesleyCalkins] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WesleyCalkins wrote:
Ok so the route you are talking about is a great first trad lead. Good stances and lots of good gear to be had. I guide this route in 2 pitches just so I can see my client the whole time. A few things about this anchor that you are not mentioning. 1 is that it is not just some nuts off of someones rack left for others. These nuts have been made using stainless steel cables and stainless steel quicklinks. Also the cable is thicker than regular aircraft cable used on the nuts on your rack. A little history is that moores has a fierce trad ethic spurred on by a guy name d Tim Fisher. In fact this style anchor is called a fisher anchor. They are all over NC. The route space monkey at Rumbling Bald has this same set up. As well as the first 5.8 pitch of Safari Jive at Looking Glass. The one on safari jive is actually fixed number 10 hexes. Like others have said. Not all areas have convenience anchors like the one found at Pilot. In fact pilot is the oddity in NC.

Thanks for responding and clearing things up. It's good to hear what you just said, and I feel much better.

Since my Glasses were accidentally kicked off I could not see well enough to get a closer look, but I could tell that the cables were heavy duty.

It's good to learn new things everyday.

csproul

Sep 25, 2012, 7:24 PM
Post #9 of 29 (13847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:

Some points:

If you can't evaluate the nuts that you rapped off of, how did you evaluate the gear that you used to protect the climb?

If you were unsure of the rap anchor, why did you not back it up?

There is another rap anchor a short walk away at the top of Quakerstate.

There is also a walk off (not done very often).

The anchors are not maintained by the State. They are placed and maintained by a number of regular climbers who do so using their own time and $$. And they do it in a manner consistent with the climbing character at Moores.

Moore's is a traditional crag with a rich history. Like it or not (and many do not) that history often excludes permanent bolted anchors, although there are several. This means there are several natural anchors, sling anchors, and anchors with swaged protection, just like the one you encountered.It is YOUR responsibility to assess all anchors and back them up or fix them if you don't like them. Your safety is not someone else's responsibility. Assessing fixed anchors is a requisite skill to climb all over the country and the rest of the world. Better to learn how to do it now.

I hope you change your mind on the way to becoming a skilled and knowledgeable climber, but if you don't...don't let the door hit you on the way out. Many climbers, including myself, are glad that Moore's is not another Pilot and would like to see it stay that way.

rsmillbern

Sep 25, 2012, 7:28 PM
Post #10 of 29 (13844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
madkiki wrote:
1. stop calling it a "Nutty System" ...

kinda like "nutty system" :-)

In any case there are a few anchors made from stoppers at Moores and I have happily rapped of them.

In most cases I prefer that to the single bolt anchors that seem to be common here in Germany.

If you are trad climbing you should be comfortable assessing the anchors. You should even be checking to see if bolts are still OK, freeze/thaw or rockfall can create problems...

rsmillbern

Sep 25, 2012, 7:34 PM
Post #11 of 29 (13837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll echo csproul, don"t give up on trad climbing. NC has some of the best that I have climbed (I learned to climb at Pilot, Moores, Stone, table Rock, etc...)

Check out Table Rock for something in between Pilot and Moores Wall.

madkiki

Sep 25, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #12 of 29 (13834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CSProul this was a real learning experience for me and I made the mistake of assuming that there would be bolted anchors up there. Now I know better.

You are right about responsibilities and sadly I dropped the ball here. If there is ever a next time I climb traditional style I will be a lot more responsible and have a better idea of what to prepare for.

louBlissab

Sep 26, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #13 of 29 (13750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:
I did my first Trad climb...

So, I did not get a very good look at the anchors and had to trust the people that I was with.

In my opinion, this sentence and your actions are just scary:

You tradded a route; you didn't get a good look at the anchors and you relied and trusted people you were with to make sure the anchors are safe!

"Three nuts in a crack", if well placed and equalized is considered a "bomber anchor". How good was your gear on the trad route your led, if you didn't realize that three nuts are considered a reasonable anchor?

With this kind of approach, you will not have a happy and safe climbing experience.

You must always inspect the anchors you are going to use. You should never soley and blindly rely on other people's opinions regarding anchors that you are going to use. You should determine for yourself whether or not anchors are safe or not, through learned experience and various anchor building resources, i.e. John Long.

Please seek qualified instruction regarding trad climbing and anchor building.

atpclimbing

Sep 26, 2012, 1:12 AM
Post #14 of 29 (13730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [louBlissab] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

When did trad become a verb?

louBlissab

Sep 26, 2012, 1:15 AM
Post #15 of 29 (13726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpclimbing] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

atpclimbing wrote:

When sport climbing entered, as a form of climbing.

billl7

Sep 26, 2012, 4:34 AM
Post #16 of 29 (13670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:
You should never soley and blindly rely on other people's opinions regarding anchors that you are going to use.
Generally speaking that is a good attitude about this business. But I do precisely the above every time my partner yells down that I'm on belay and I break down my anchor and start climbing - especially when she leads harder than I can follow cleanly!

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 26, 2012, 4:40 AM)

jt512

Sep 26, 2012, 4:52 AM
Post #17 of 29 (13660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madkiki wrote:

When did North Carolina become the new Pennsylvania?

Jay

curt

Sep 26, 2012, 5:30 AM
Post #18 of 29 (13649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
madkiki wrote:

When did North Carolina become the new Pennsylvania?

Jay

They seem to troll better in NC.

Curt

louBlissab

Sep 26, 2012, 1:06 PM
Post #19 of 29 (13578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
louBlissab wrote:
You should never soley and blindly rely on other people's opinions regarding anchors that you are going to use.
Generally speaking that is a good attitude about this business. But I do precisely the above every time my partner yells down that I'm on belay and I break down my anchor and start climbing - especially when she leads harder than I can follow cleanly!

Bill L

Hey Bill,

My point is still accurate and true. In fact, you yourself do not soley and blindly rely on your partner's opinion regarding anchor building.

You have climbed with your partner and vetted her anchor building technique to such an extent, as to feel comfortable to follow. You are both experienced and are familiar with each other and the routine.

However, the original poster and related partners are obviously very new to trad climbing and are unsure of the whole system and process.

I am suggesting that these people not rely on their buddies to confirm anchor safety. I am suggesting that they secure professional instruction or at least pick-up a John Long book and start reading before they head-out to the great vertical unknown.

AB

gunkiemike

Sep 26, 2012, 1:40 PM
Post #20 of 29 (13561 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Nuts for Anchors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:

If you can't evaluate the nuts that you rapped off of, how did you evaluate the gear that you used to protect the climb?

The OP never said (s)he was leading.

marc801

Sep 26, 2012, 1:45 PM
Post #21 of 29 (13559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:
atpclimbing wrote:

That's when the noun "trad climbing" started, but only the clueless say they went "tradding" or they "tradded" a route (both nonexistent verbs) - it would be just as senseless to say you "sportted" a route.

gunkiemike

Sep 26, 2012, 1:46 PM
Post #22 of 29 (13558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:
madkiki wrote:
I did my first Trad climb...

So, I did not get a very good look at the anchors and had to trust the people that I was with.

In my opinion, this sentence and your actions are just scary:

You tradded a route; you didn't get a good look at the anchors and you relied and trusted people you were with to make sure the anchors are safe!

The OP got to follow their first non-toprope climb. That's a huge deal for most folks. Loads of shaky, sweaty-palmed, bug-eyed aspiring climbers do it each season. Expecting them to critique the fixed gear is asking way too much. The OP came back with a fresh appreciation for the complexities of the sport, and that's great. Hopefully they have a few photos too, as you only get one first time.

louBlissab

Sep 26, 2012, 1:52 PM
Post #23 of 29 (13552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
louBlissab wrote:
atpclimbing wrote:

That's when the noun "trad climbing" started, but only the clueless say they went "tradding" or they "tradded" a route (both nonexistent verbs) - it would be just as senseless to say you "sportted" a route.

Okay, I'm clueless, but I have been successfully tradding routes for the last 25 years and having fun. I will continue to trad routes.

marc801

Sep 26, 2012, 1:55 PM
Post #24 of 29 (13546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

louBlissab wrote:
marc801 wrote:
louBlissab wrote:
atpclimbing wrote:

Okay, I'm clueless, but I have been successfully tradding routes for the last 25 years and having fun. I will continue to trad routes.
And people will continue to think you are a n00b for using trad as a verb.

louBlissab

Sep 26, 2012, 2:09 PM
Post #25 of 29 (13535 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
louBlissab wrote:
marc801 wrote:
louBlissab wrote:
atpclimbing wrote:

And people will continue to think you are a n00b for using trad as a verb.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what people think of me. I'm not climbing to impress and I will continue to trad and enjoy the lifestyle.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook