RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

apz245

Oct 3, 2012, 7:48 AM
Post #1 of 14 (8914 views)
Shortcut

Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I may be on the entirely wrong website for this, If I am I apologize.

I've been watching some mountain/rock climbing videos lately and im perplexed by how they're able to do it without ropes/ladders.

basically my question is.. when you have a crevasse, how do you cross it without a ladder? and when you have a straight vertical wall to climb.. im assuming the first person just has to do it without a rope, if they fall that's it.

I've also read that on certain mountains like mckinley they dont use ladders at all.. how is this possible?

Again I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I assume in both mountain and rock climbing there are crevasses to cross, thanks guys.

(This post was edited by apz245 on Oct 3, 2012, 7:49 AM)

jeepnphreak

Oct 3, 2012, 2:50 PM
Post #2 of 14 (8847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apz245] Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apz245 wrote:
I've been watching some mountain/rock climbing videos lately and im perplexed by how they're able to do it without ropes/ladders.

You may be watching people free soloing. They choose to climb with out the protection of ropes and other gear.

apz245 wrote:
basically my question is.. when you have a crevasse, how do you cross it without a ladder? and when you have a straight vertical wall to climb.. im assuming the first person just has to do it without a rope, if they fall that's it.

I guessing you are describing the ladder crossing like ofn Mt Everest, where they use ladders like a bridge to cross over gaps. Depends on the size of the cravass, if the climber can span the cravass with a ladder than just drop the ladder over the gap and cross. If the gap in lager than that that the climbers will either have to go around and find a better location to corss or use ice axes, crapmon and ropes to climb down and up the cravass.

apz245 wrote:
I've also read that on certain mountains like mckinley they dont use ladders at all.. how is this possible? small or non existing obsitclaes that can be navigated with out ladders

Again I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I assume in both mountain and rock climbing there are crevasses to cross, thanks guys.

only so often but more so on glacier travel.

My question for you is what videos are you watching so I/we can give a more concise responce

Partner cracklover

Oct 3, 2012, 4:22 PM
Post #3 of 14 (8824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

apz245 wrote:
I may be on the entirely wrong website for this, If I am I apologize.

I've also read that on certain mountains like mckinley they dont use ladders at all.. how is this possible?

I think what you're trying to ask is the classic question "how does the rope get up there?"

Do a search for "lead climbing".

Cheers,

GO

Colinhoglund

Oct 3, 2012, 9:19 PM
Post #4 of 14 (8754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1) Most people climb with ropes, but they are there as a backup incase of a fall. Your hands and feet are used to hold onto the rock to make upward progress, and yes, its hard.

2) Crevasses, walk around them or jump over them . . .

3) Every mountain presents it's own challenges, and all can be done without a ladder. For answers to your questions, quit watching Vertical Limit, 127 Hours or other Hollywood movies and watch something like "First Ascent" or "Progression"

apz245

Oct 3, 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #5 of 14 (8741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah here are some links to the video's im talking about; a lot of ladder crossings and ascents/descents.

These vids are from everest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moBJMGNSql4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIcMB6lD8Do&feature=relmfu

sorry you have to copy and paste, I haven't got a hang of posting videos here yet.

And yeah.. I was assuming they just drop the ladder over the gap.. but then the first guy is crossing with no ropes, just balancing on the ladder?
if they place it wrong or it slips out of place.. the first guy is done for, considering some of those crevasses are hundreds of feet deep.

apz245

Oct 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #6 of 14 (8740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah cracklover; that's exactly what im trying to ask, I thought putting it that way would be a bit vague though.

It seriously amazes me how people are able to do that, I watch these videos on everest of people crossing these ladders.. and I want to see the guys who set up the ladders/ropes in the first place; and I think about how did the people to first scale all these mountains do it without all the equipment in place.

Gonna do a search on lead climbing; i think thats the term i was looking for, I'll let you guys know how it works out, thanks.

(This post was edited by apz245 on Oct 3, 2012, 10:06 PM)

Wade308

Oct 3, 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #7 of 14 (8732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everest has all those bad ass Sherpas laying the route. Those guys were built for high altitude climbing.

And yeah, they just drop the ladders across for the most part. Usually the first guy over will have a rope tied to him in case he takes a tumble.

I love when they have two long ladders tied together. Sketchy.

Look at alpine climbing or expedition climbing. I think that's more what you're after.

apz245

Oct 3, 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #8 of 14 (8716 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah sometimes they have 2 ladders strapped together, going different directions.. its crazy.

I'm guessing i'm at the wrong place for alpine or expedition climbing? Honestly I posted here knowing I was probably in the wrong place but you guys have an active community and I figured you'd know your stuff because it seems like a lot of the skills are transferable.

in any case, thanks guys.

Also I did a search on lead climbing, and it gave me an idea on how they get the ropes up there; still seems really sketchy though, i mean you're strapping into an anchor which may or may not hold. (if you placed it there, are the first one using it)

mikebarter387

Oct 6, 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #9 of 14 (8539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch every video on this site and just go do your full guides exam right off the couch.

http://youtube.com/mikebarter387

hugepedro

Oct 7, 2012, 2:50 PM
Post #10 of 14 (8472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

apz245 wrote:
yeah sometimes they have 2 ladders strapped together, going different directions.. its crazy.

I'm guessing i'm at the wrong place for alpine or expedition climbing? Honestly I posted here knowing I was probably in the wrong place but you guys have an active community and I figured you'd know your stuff because it seems like a lot of the skills are transferable.

in any case, thanks guys.

Also I did a search on lead climbing, and it gave me an idea on how they get the ropes up there; still seems really sketchy though, i mean you're strapping into an anchor which may or may not hold. (if you placed it there, are the first one using it)

It's all about the gear. I take a 1000 foot ladder into the mountains. So far it's gotten me past every obstacle I've encountered. We usually also carry a 50 foot spiral staircase for sections where the ladder won't work, it's best to be prepared. When do you use which technique? It depends. It comes down to your experience and judgement. But we also inspect the ladder for micro fractures before every expedition, you can never be too careful.

I hope this helps clear some things up.

moose_droppings

Oct 7, 2012, 6:10 PM
Post #11 of 14 (8444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Noob questions about rock/mountain climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
Watch every video on this site and just go do your full guides exam right off the couch.

http://youtube.com/mikebarter387

Don't do this.

It would be a lot cheaper to take a NOLS course than to buy beer for Mike.

Laugh

uffizy

Oct 16, 2012, 1:22 PM
Post #12 of 14 (8193 views)
Shortcut

Searching for information. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hy everyone!

I'm searching for "survival descending" informations. I'm interested in techniques for descending with few equipment (somewhat like in a survival situation), with only ropes, or a few equipement. How to knot knots, safety knots, how to make a climbing harness from a single piece of rope etc.

I allready find a post about "dürfer descending", with only a simple rope. I'm really interested in such things.

Any links, videos releted to the thread would be appriciated.
Thank you for advance!

JAB

Oct 16, 2012, 7:36 PM
Post #13 of 14 (8117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uffizy] Searching for information. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uffizy wrote:
I allready find a post about "dürfer descending", with only a simple rope. I'm really interested in such things.

You are talking about the Dulfersitz. Try that on google.

(This post was edited by JAB on Oct 16, 2012, 7:37 PM)

uffizy

Oct 16, 2012, 7:40 PM
Post #14 of 14 (8110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Searching for information. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes. It was named dürfer in the hungarian guide. But I need info about other techniques.:)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook