Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Matthew0718

Oct 3, 2012, 6:07 PM
Post #1 of 51 (12209 views)
Shortcut

Better climbing, not looking
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been getting a lot better at climbing recently but for the life of me I can't burn fat.

carabiner96

Oct 3, 2012, 7:27 PM
Post #2 of 51 (12151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Matthew0718] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:
I've been getting a lot better at climbing recently but for the life of me I can't burn fat.
Start jogging.

USnavy

Oct 3, 2012, 7:37 PM
Post #3 of 51 (12141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:
Start jogging.
Jogging works good, but there are better options. The best option is a combination of cardio, weight lifting, and diet modification.

carabiner96

Oct 3, 2012, 7:50 PM
Post #4 of 51 (12132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:
Start jogging.
Jogging works good, but there are better options. The best option is a combination of cardio, weight lifting, and diet modification.
Start jogging, pounding muscle milk.

larwood91

Oct 3, 2012, 8:52 PM
Post #5 of 51 (12097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure you can. Your body naturally burns fat. You just keep eating too much of it. Disciplined diet and exercise.

deschamps1000

Oct 3, 2012, 9:16 PM
Post #6 of 51 (12079 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, start jogging. Cardio does a lot more for burning fat than climbing. Climbing does very little.

Wade308

Oct 3, 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #7 of 51 (12059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [larwood91] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

larwood91 wrote:
Disciplined diet and exercise.
This.

marc801

Oct 4, 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #8 of 51 (12016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Stating it another way: burn more calories than you take in. IOW, eat less, exercise more, eat wisely.

dan2see

Oct 4, 2012, 2:58 AM
Post #9 of 51 (11983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:

I climb, I get hungry, I eat.

hyhuu

Oct 4, 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #10 of 51 (11920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Big Wall climbing or mountaineering. That ough to burn plenty of fat.

njrox

Oct 4, 2012, 1:39 PM
Post #11 of 51 (11892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a Certified Personal Trainer (not just throwing out my opinions). This is very general advice.

"Jogging" is not a good way to burn fat.

Resistance Training, "Running", or even better, Sprinting is more effective way to burn fat. Use your muscles if you want to burn fat.

Jog to build your base for for running.

The best peice of advice I can give you for long-term fat loss is to substitute two training days for food shopping and food preperation.

shimanilami

Oct 4, 2012, 2:48 PM
Post #12 of 51 (11861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ultimate goal is to get laid. And, factually speaking, people who climb harder get laid more.

So who cares what you look like?

amarius

Oct 4, 2012, 3:23 PM
Post #13 of 51 (11846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To burn 1lb of fat from running alone, 150lb person would have to cover around 37 miles, calculation based on net calorie expenditure.
Source - "Energy expenditure of walking and running"

But, I totally agree with your advice on food shopping and food preparation.

njrox

Oct 4, 2012, 3:58 PM
Post #14 of 51 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I consider "running" to be around a 7-8 minute mile (7.5-8.5 mph) pace. I consider jogging to be something in the 10-12 minute mile pace (5mph-6mph). Sprints, all out 10-20 second runs with several minutes of rest in between. I think running is an important aspect of training but I wouldn't put all my eggs into that basket. My advice to people is to focus on being able to sustain a 75-85% of your max heart for at least 20 minutes, which should more or less translate into running a 5k race. You can exclusively jog or run as a means to lose weight but you will sacrifice a lot of muscle and there's the risk of injury from repetition. It's always best to vary what you do and how much you do it. But I can't stress enough the importance of diet. If you really focus on what you're eating and how much you're eating you'll have a lot more success than by just exercise alone.

Partner camhead

Oct 4, 2012, 4:19 PM
Post #15 of 51 (11823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [njrox] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cardio can be a mixed bag if you are trying to cut weight for climbing. it can cut your flab, but after intense sessions of running or cycling, your body is so starved that you crave and consume more food.

I've tried to cut weight for climbing by cycling 150 miles a weak, and was unsuccessful. It also built up huge leg muscles that have like 10 lbs of bulk that I never use climbing. This season, I have been WAY more successful at dropping weight by cutting overall caloric intake, cutting simple carbs, reducing all carbs, and upping lean proteins. All with less cardio and more gym climbing.

hyhuu

Oct 4, 2012, 5:26 PM
Post #16 of 51 (11790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
cardio can be a mixed bag if you are trying to cut weight for climbing. it can cut your flab, but after intense sessions of running or cycling, your body is so starved that you crave and consume more food.

I've tried to cut weight for climbing by cycling 150 miles a weak, and was unsuccessful. It also built up huge leg muscles that have like 10 lbs of bulk that I never use climbing. This season, I have been WAY more successful at dropping weight by cutting overall caloric intake, cutting simple carbs, reducing all carbs, and upping lean proteins. All with less cardio and more gym climbing.

Interesting. I rode 200+ miles a week, lost a few pounds and still have the chicken legs.

saint_john

Oct 4, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #17 of 51 (11777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Matthew0718 wrote:

You need to consumer fewer calories. Diet is for weight loss; exercise is for fitness.

jt512

Oct 4, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #18 of 51 (11724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

You need to consumer fewer calories. Diet is for weight loss; exercise is for fitness.

Christ, enough bullshit already. Weight loss results from negative energy balance, that is, when total energy expenditures exceed total energy intake. It doesn't matter whether the energy deficit results from diet, exercise, or a combination. Studies consistently show that it is easier to lose weight and keep it off when you combine exercise and diet.

Jay

redlude97

Oct 4, 2012, 9:05 PM
Post #19 of 51 (11707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:

It would help if you weren't a masher.

DemolitionRed

Oct 4, 2012, 9:15 PM
Post #20 of 51 (11694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
Yup, start jogging. Cardio does a lot more for burning fat than climbing. Climbing does very little.

That depends how you climb! I do a hell of a lot of cardio exercise on the big walls.
Maybe your sort of climbing doesn't burn calories. Mine does :)

To the op. I think part of your problem is, being over weight makes you a slower climber. You need to get out of your comfort zone.
Start pushing that body of yours beyond the pain barrier. If climbing is what you enjoy the most then learn how to do climbing drills. This will be hugely beneficial to not only your climbing ability and your level of fitness but your weight loss too.
Get yourself a sports heart monitor and learn how to use it.

(This post was edited by DemolitionRed on Oct 4, 2012, 9:17 PM)

deschamps1000

Oct 4, 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #21 of 51 (11669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DemolitionRed] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course. I lose an average of 5 pounds per climbing trip if walls or alpine climbing are involved. But, do you really think that the guy that posted this is regularly climbing walls or big alpine routes? A tiny percentage of the climbing population regularly climbs walls and big alpine routes. Your base assumption is wrong.

saint_john

Oct 4, 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #22 of 51 (11667 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
saint_john wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

Christ, enough bullshit already. Weight loss results from negative energy balance, that is, when total energy expenditures exceed total energy intake. It doesn't matter whether the energy deficit results from diet, exercise, or a combination. Studies consistently show that it is easier to lose weight and keep it off when you combine exercise and diet.

Jay

Of course weight loss is the result of a caloric deficit. And yes, That deficit can come from reduced intake or from burning more calories, or a combination of the two.
The OP already knows how to exercise. What he probably doesn't know is how to feed himself properly. Therefore, in order to lose weight, he needs to focus on refining his diet. He can work out all day long but until he gets the intake under control he's probably not going to see results.
I've been racing bicycles for more than 20 years. I can't tell you how many really fit, fast cyclists I've know that have caried around 10 or 20 extra pounds. Why? Certainley not because they weren't exercising enough.

saint_john

Oct 4, 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #23 of 51 (11661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:

I've had same experience. It wasn't until I cut the crap out of my diet that I was able to get down to around 9 to 10% body fat. In the last year I've lowered the amount of cardio I've done and still lost weight. I firmly believe that losing weight is more a factor of what you eat than how much you work out.

jt512

Oct 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #24 of 51 (11644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
To burn 1lb of fat from running alone, 150lb person would have to cover around 37 miles, calculation based on net calorie expenditure.
Source - "Energy expenditure of walking and running"

So, that's an hour a day of slow running to burn 1 lb of fat per week, plus reducing caloric intake by 250 kcal/day, to lose another 1/2 lb of fat per week, for a total weight loss rate of 1.5 lb/wk, which about the maximum you can expect to be able to sustain. Sounds good to me.

Jay

jt512

Oct 5, 2012, 1:37 AM
Post #25 of 51 (11611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Better climbing, not looking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
jt512 wrote:
saint_john wrote:
Matthew0718 wrote:

Jay

Of course weight loss is the result of a caloric deficit. And yes, That deficit can come from reduced intake or from burning more calories, or a combination of the two.

And so you agree, then, that your previous statement, "Diet is for weight loss; exercise is for fitness," was bullshit.

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook