Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Shenandoah National Park, climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

fancyclaps

Feb 28, 2007, 3:26 AM
Post #1 of 18 (24436 views)
Shortcut

Shenandoah National Park, climbing?  (North_America: United_States: Virginia)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I might be interning in Shenandoah this summer, however a lack of climbing might change my mind. Is there any climbing near Shenandoah or in it? If yes, how close and how good? I am not familiar with the region and most maps of the U.S. dont have crags on em'Tongue So it is kind of hard to get this info myself.

cintune

Feb 28, 2007, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 18 (24433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fancyclaps] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Check out Virginia in the Routes section. There's Old Rag, and a bunch of smaller places. Bearfence Mountain is small but very nice. There's lots of undeveloped stuff in the backcountry as well. No hidden big walls, but plenty of remote crags.

nedsurf

Feb 28, 2007, 3:45 AM
Post #3 of 18 (24419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

three posts asking about crags. You could visit your college librarian to learn about conducting your own research. You are in college...you are paying for it.
hint: If I were interning for the summer at Shenandoah, I would spend my summer evenings drinking beers on the front porch, working out my sore climbing muscles. If I needed a partner, I would hang out in front of the Gendarme for a while. Question: Princess Snowbird or NP campsites?

cintune

Feb 28, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #4 of 18 (24414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nedsurf] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a day trip from Shenandoah to Seneca, depending where in the park you'd end up. But for weekends there's also NRG. Never been there, they tell me it's nice.

fancyclaps

Feb 28, 2007, 3:52 AM
Post #5 of 18 (24412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nedsurf] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The reason for the three posts is that I have three prospective places to intern this summer and I want to know about climbing near each of them.

The routes database requires one to know where in the state you are looking. Browse around the internet, it is surprisingly difficult to find out whether Shenandoah is in West or Central Virginia. I have looked, but I didn't find anything.

So I thought I might use the regional discussions to *gasp* ask about climbing in a region! If this is not what the Regional Discussions was intended for then, by all means, please accept my deepest apologies for offending your delicate sensibilities.

cintune

Feb 28, 2007, 4:04 AM
Post #6 of 18 (24404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, that's what we're here for. Sometimes, anyway. But seriously, Shenandoah is in Va. Look up Old Rag, and whatever else is listed for the central part of the state. That's what you'll be able to get to easily on your time off. Seneca and NRG are a little further away, but still right in the bigger backyard.

(This post was edited by cintune on Feb 28, 2007, 4:04 AM)

fancyclaps

Feb 28, 2007, 4:40 AM
Post #7 of 18 (24382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cintune] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When you say "further away" do you mean hour or two? Or more?

I tried to find Old Rag in the routes database under south western and central and it didn't show up. Then I tried searching for it, that didn't show up either. Looked at the routes again and it turns out it is under North Central.

That is exactly why I just put up a post instead of looking, the routes database isn't terribly easy to use and unless you know exactly what you are looking for you cant find it.

I know NRG has sport, but what about Seneca/Old Rag? For a variety of reasons, I dont climb trad and dont have the budget to start any time soon. Will I be able to get by with sport/bouldering, or should I look for a trad climbing partner?

Sorry for being a bit testy earlier, I read the responses at a bad time. Thanks for all the help though.

deschamps1000

Feb 28, 2007, 4:42 AM
Post #8 of 18 (24377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In responce to your question...

Shenandoah is maybe 50 minutes from 2nd mountain, a good bouldering area. 2 hours from Seneca, 1 hour from Old Rag, and 4:30 from the New River Gorge. All of these are great climbing destinations, though Old Rag requires a very long approach. People will tell you there's climbing in Shenandoah but it is all chossy crap. Oh yeah, Franklin in WV is 1:30 away. There's also been rumors of a new sport crag near Charlottesville, but I moved away from VA a year ago and am not up to date on that.

Partner srwings

Feb 28, 2007, 2:58 PM
Post #9 of 18 (24356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, climbing is very good in the Shenahdoahs. Your profile indicates that that you climb moderate grades. Buzzard Rock and Talking Headwall (Road side Crag) on the north end are very nice. There's a new area in Luray that has some good sport and mixed routes. You can't go wrong interning here.

Exactly where is your internship?

bobruef

Feb 28, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #10 of 18 (24350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [srwings] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

srwings wrote:
Yes, climbing is very good in the Shenahdoahs. Your profile indicates that that you climb moderate grades. Buzzard Rock and Talking Headwall (Road side Crag)
Exactly where is your internship?

you'll find these in the route database under Elizabethan Furnace. Climbed there before. Fun, but nothing special. I don't think they're anything to write home about. Franklin is your best bet for day-trip sport climbing, but the New River Gorge is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Don't count on bolts at Senca until you're climbing 5.11 (read as "Seneca 5.11"). There's one 5.7 bolted route there, but the rest is tough stuff.

Old Rag is great, and there are some bolted routes up there, even in the moderate grades. I believe the best guidebook is the MD, VA, WVA horst guidebook.

Good luck.

straylight

May 1, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #11 of 18 (23996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for dredging this up, but I couldn't really draw a clear answer out of the previous responses.

Is there any decent climbing within the borders of Shenandoah National Park? A few friends and I are going hiking there in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering whether or not I should bring my climbing gear. I'm not keen on lugging an extra 5-10 kg if I won't have a chance to use it.

As an alternate destination, would Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area be better for a combo hike/climb?

Thanks in advance.

(This post was edited by straylight on May 1, 2007, 5:35 PM)

naitch

May 1, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #12 of 18 (23969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [straylight] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Old Rag is within Park boundaries. Fairly long approach hike depending upon how you approach it. It is wonderful granite. Shorter climbs though. Mainly 1-2 pitches. Look it up in the routes database.

straylight

May 1, 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #13 of 18 (23946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Excellent! Shorter climbs are more to my liking any way. Not sure how I missed that bit, but I really appreciate the heads up.

nhluhr

Sep 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #14 of 18 (23132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

srwings wrote:
There's a new area in Luray that has some good sport and mixed routes.
Anymore information on this area? I am not aware of any cliffs close to Luray (except those of Little Stony Man).

Partner srwings

Sep 18, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #15 of 18 (23102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nhluhr] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Indian Grave Ridge
http://www.rockclimbing.com/.../Indian_Grave_Ridge/

My buddy put up most of those routes. They are well protected but you'll need a light rack since bolts only go in where pro can't placed.

(This post was edited by srwings on Sep 18, 2007, 2:40 AM)

zealotnoob

Sep 18, 2007, 3:09 AM
Post #16 of 18 (23085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People keep talking about some heinous approach to Old Rag. The fact is that it's quite a nice 1.5 hour hike with some really cool features. As far as the climbing goes, it has absolute gems. The "Oh My God Dihedral" is one of the coolest climbs I've climbed on the east coast yet.

extreme44

Oct 8, 2012, 8:24 PM
Post #17 of 18 (14263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New Rive Gorge is about 2 hours from Shenandoah park, Old Rag is in the park itself as well as many of their trails with little climbing unfortunately, best place to climb is definitely by far NRG

justroberto

Oct 9, 2012, 2:49 AM
Post #18 of 18 (14224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [extreme44] Shenandoah National Park, climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

extreme44 wrote:
New Rive Gorge is about 2 hours from Shenandoah park, Old Rag is in the park itself as well as many of their trails with little climbing unfortunately, best place to climb is definitely by far NRG

If fancyclaps still haunted this place, perhaps he could jump in his time machine, go back 5 years, and take your advice!

r

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook