Forums: Climbing Information: General:
How do I know if I will ever go climbing again?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

SylviaSmile

Oct 19, 2012, 5:45 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3489 views)
Shortcut

How do I know if I will ever go climbing again?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The last time I climbed anything was last month in Golden, but I don't even know when I will be able to go again. I have work in the days and a lot of grad school and miscellaneous in the nights, and I haven't even hit the gym. It's kind of alarming. The more alarming thing is that I am not even sure I want to go climbing, but I can't figure out whether that's because I am so wrapped up in the everything else, or because I'm secretly afraid I will die, or because my lazy body wants to avoid pain. Meanwhile, I have this rope and set of quickdraws that cost quite a bit of money, so I'd feel like an even bigger loser never to use them again. Is recouping an investment a good reason to go climbing? Are there any ways to work out and stay in shape for climbing without actually climbing or working out in any structured format? I have a pull up bar.

Wade308

Oct 19, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] How do I know if I will ever go climbing again? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You should go to Reel Rock at School of Mines tonight.
That ought to motivate you.

Otherwise, I'll buy your QDs off you. Wink

Gmburns2000

Oct 19, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #3 of 13 (3414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
The last time I climbed anything was last month in Golden, but I don't even know when I will be able to go again. I have work in the days and a lot of grad school and miscellaneous in the nights, and I haven't even hit the gym. It's kind of alarming. The more alarming thing is that I am not even sure I want to go climbing, but I can't figure out whether that's because I am so wrapped up in the everything else, or because I'm secretly afraid I will die, or because my lazy body wants to avoid pain. Meanwhile, I have this rope and set of quickdraws that cost quite a bit of money, so I'd feel like an even bigger loser never to use them again. Is recouping an investment a good reason to go climbing? Are there any ways to work out and stay in shape for climbing without actually climbing or working out in any structured format? I have a pull up bar.

you'll go. I haven't been in four months and my situation is less stressful than yours. I know I'll go again. It's just a matter of time.

In my opinion, recouping an investment isn't a good enough reason. Wanting to go is a better reason. Not giving up is a good way to look toward the future (oddly giving up is a great way to pass the time when you have no control over the pace of a situation - funny how life works sometimes)

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 19, 2012, 4:27 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It does get harder to get out there the longer time goes on, I found this year....

Since I started climbing on 2004 I averaged 100 days out each year. Until 2012, when a favorite climbing partner abruptly left and I started a new business.

It seemed "more productive" to work on the new biz than go out climbing with people I didn't know(I have never been very good at maintaining partnerships, always waiting for them to call me instead of being the one to initiate) - and I have to admit this season has been almost a total wash for me.

To recoup the expense of draws and rope, as a reason to climb? No....

Secretly afraid of dying? Well I would say it's probably not a secret fear if you have it. You would know, even if you don't acknowledge it fully. And it is actually a realistic issue - which is one of the reasons I haven't been so inclined to do interest hook ups this season. I always have been very good about vetting partners, but began to wonder if I had the energy to maintain that diligence.

But, once a person gets past the initial climbing honeymoon stage they do usually start to see that in fact climbing can be dangerous, and that by nature of the thing we sometimes have to trust others with out lives.

But I will also say that I am getting ready to head to JTree for the winter, and my broken heart is no longer painfully keeping me away from climbing, and neither is the new business. I am ready to get back at it, and hopefully, so will you be, as time goes on.

lena_chita

Oct 19, 2012, 5:10 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
The last time I climbed anything was last month in Golden, but I don't even know when I will be able to go again. I have work in the days and a lot of grad school and miscellaneous in the nights, and I haven't even hit the gym. It's kind of alarming. The more alarming thing is that I am not even sure I want to go climbing, but I can't figure out whether that's because I am so wrapped up in the everything else, or because I'm secretly afraid I will die, or because my lazy body wants to avoid pain.

Has something happened since the last time you climbed to make these fears stronger? Have you gotten progressively busier and more stressed out?

Other than a clear traumatic event, which would alter my response to you somewhat, My personal observation suggests that climbers respond to stress and high pressure demands related to work, family and life in two ways (not necessarily mutually exclusive, sometimes it is the same person who responds one way in one scenario, and then couple years later responds in a different way):

1) You make every effort to climb every available moment, because that is your escape from the stress and unpleasantness and stuff that nags you and demands to be done. Climbing is a way to get away from it all and recharge.

2) You stop climbing until the situation that stresses you out resolves, and your load lightens up. Climbing is one more thing to do, and you just can't deal with it at the moment, it stresses you out, and you have to take care of things you deem to have higher priority.

Sounds like you are responding like people in case 2. Not to worry, you will climb again, when you want to. It is normal. You are a recreational climber, you do it because you enjoy it. if you don't enjoy it at the moment, there is no point pushing yourself to do it, or agonizing about not-doing it.

SylviaSmile wrote:
Meanwhile, I have this rope and set of quickdraws that cost quite a bit of money, so I'd feel like an even bigger loser never to use them again. Is recouping an investment a good reason to go climbing?

This one is very simple: NO!

SylviaSmile wrote:
Are there any ways to work out and stay in shape for climbing without actually climbing or working out in any structured format? I have a pull up bar.

Yes, there are ways to work out and stay in shape (visit technique and training forum), with various and disputable benefits to climbing. Effectiveness of some of them depend on your climbing level and experience. If you have time and curiosity, search for rockprodigy article on periodization.

But the bottom line is, most climbers I know are motivated to do those things, to follow a training plan, to stay in shape, BECAUSE they want to climb better. If you currently not even sure that you want to climb, you are very unlikely to follow a regimented climbing-specific training plan and stay with it. Not to mention the fact that this whole situation came about because you have no time for the climbing gym. if you have no time for it, you probably don't have time for regimented training, either.

IMO your best bet is to find something else that you would currently enjoy, and do that, without worrying about how transferable that fitness is to climbing. My understanding is that your climbing resume is relatively short, and with that background there is very little climbing-specific training you could do without actually going to a climbing gym in the first place. When and if you feel like you want to climb again, you will start at whatever level you are at that point, and go from there.

bearbreeder

Oct 19, 2012, 5:27 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3355 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

where there is a will there is a way ... if you lack the desire or will ... just stop

if you have the will ... stop making excuses and just go ...

i know people with busy busy lives and they still sneak days out and climb hard ... they dont make excuses ... and they have kids

do you go to the pub and get tipsy on yr days off, go shopping, or stay at home and eat ice cream? ... if you do then you can make the time to climb

as to your fear, the only way to admit it is to go out and confront it ... you wont do that my moaning on RC all day, which if you have the time to do, you can go climb ...

there are some "climbers" who make excuses about how tired they are, how little time they have, how little money they have, how out of shape they are, how they cant climb hard, how they cant lead, how bad the weather is, etc ....

then there are the climbers who just go out and do it ...

you can guess which climber gets out and climbs hard Wink

gblauer

Oct 19, 2012, 6:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (3323 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I push myself through the "lulls" by forcing myself to climb. During those periods I will lead far below my grade and try and rediscover the joy of climbing. These "lulls" are typically caused by me constantly pushing myself or beating myself up for not pushing myself. So, I go back to basics and climb for the pure joy of climbing. If that means leading a Gunks 5.4 so be it.

As far as fitness is concerned, I do have a regimen that I follow since gym climbing kills my arthritic fingers. (I used to hit the gym 4x per week, I rarely go to the gym these days. I will resume gym climbing once it's too cold to climb outdoors, but, it will be on a limited basis).

Personal trainer 1x per week (weight lifting, core workout, lots of leg work and lots of upper body work)
Aerobic workout, 60 minutes 5x per week
Rice workout (working fingers through a bucket of raw rice) 5x per week.

The combination of the workout above keeps me in shape for outdoor climbing. I usually climb outdoors 2-3x per week for a full day.

Finally, I think Terrie is on to something. Once the original "honeymoon" with rock climbing is over, the reality of the possibilities sink in. This can lead to fear/anxiety around climbing. Use this heightened state to your advantage; double check everything, follow a system and be selective with your partners. A few years back, I was in the gym climbing, I was at the top of the climb and my partner accidently dropped me to the ground when she lost control of the rope. I broke my back (which healed very quickly), but the damage to my "head" was regrettably, irreversible. To this day I fear the "possibilities".

billl7

Oct 19, 2012, 7:05 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
... but I don't even know when I will be able to go again. I have work in the days and a lot of grad school and miscellaneous in the nights, and I haven't even hit the gym.
Reminds of a story ...

About a year ago, I went to visit one of my sons while he was starting his first year in grad school in Boulder CO. We climbed the ever-popular Third Flat Iron. Of course there were about six other parties also starting at the crack of dawn despite overnight lows in the 20's.

One of the climbing parties was someone who had recently finished grad school and was getting back into climbing. He remarked that when he first moved to Boulder for school years ago he thought he would be doing a ton of climbing given all the close-at-hand rock. But after a short while, he didn't have time.

More generally, work plus grad school is a demanding combination. I'd say to not worry about climbing - and perhaps just let those two things consume you for a while if that is where your primary interests lie at the moment.

And I'd say to keep your climbing gear. Maybe put it in a box labeled "Some Day" as a reminder that days full of work and school will pass, and you'll be able to once again resume some crazy interest, whether it include climbing or not.

Bill L

Gmburns2000

Oct 19, 2012, 7:21 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] How do I know if I will ever go climbing again? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
SylviaSmile wrote:
... but I don't even know when I will be able to go again. I have work in the days and a lot of grad school and miscellaneous in the nights, and I haven't even hit the gym.
Reminds of a story ...

About a year ago, I went to visit one of my sons while he was starting his first year in grad school in Boulder CO. We climbed the ever-popular Third Flat Iron. Of course there were about six other parties also starting at the crack of dawn despite overnight lows in the 20's.

One of the climbing parties was someone who had recently finished grad school and was getting back into climbing. He remarked that when he first moved to Boulder for school years ago he thought he would be doing a ton of climbing given all the close-at-hand rock. But after a short while, he didn't have time.

More generally, work plus grad school is a demanding combination. I'd say to not worry about climbing - and perhaps just let those two things consume you for a while if that is where your primary interests lie at the moment.

And I'd say to keep your climbing gear. Maybe put it in a box labeled "Some Day" as a reminder that days full of work and school will pass, and you'll be able to once again resume some crazy interest, whether it include climbing or not.

Bill L

with the exception of Gail here on the site, another point can be made similar to yours above: I've known several people who have moved closer to climbing only to end up climbing less.

gunkiemike

Oct 19, 2012, 8:21 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My, my such torment and angst in your short climbing career. "I hate climbing", "I love climbing" etc.

Hey, stop stressing over it...if you want to climb, climb. If you need to work or hit the books, (that's why you're employed/enrolled) do that.

It's not like the rocks are going anywhere, and you haven't exactly built your whole life around being a rock (climbing) superstar.

wonderwoman

Oct 19, 2012, 10:47 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in the same situation for the last three years up until May 2012 when I graduated. I was working full time & going to grad school at night. There was very little time for climbing. Sometimes I would bring my homework to the crag to steal away to the nearest library, with the hope that if I got it all done that I could get a few pitches in with my husband. I did homework on car rides and drove into town to get wifi to work on a group project from Red Rocks.

My climbing sucked then. But I am a free woman with a degree now & getting in as much climbing in as possible. Best of all, you may now call me Master Wonder Woman.

Don't get frustrated. If you love climbing, you will find a way.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Oct 19, 2012, 10:48 PM)

SylviaSmile

Oct 20, 2012, 12:07 AM
Post #12 of 13 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] How do I know if I will ever go climbing again? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I was in the same situation for the last three years up until May 2012 when I graduated. I was working full time & going to grad school at night. There was very little time for climbing. Sometimes I would bring my homework to the crag to steal away to the nearest library, with the hope that if I got it all done that I could get a few pitches in with my husband. I did homework on car rides and drove into town to get wifi to work on a group project from Red Rocks.

My climbing sucked then. But I am a free woman with a degree now & getting in as much climbing in as possible. Best of all, you may now call me Master Wonder Woman.

Don't get frustrated. If you love climbing, you will find a way.

There is hope!! I am not nearly as dedicated as you, though, nor do I have a husband who climbs . . . two things to work on.Angelic

potreroed

Oct 20, 2012, 1:14 AM
Post #13 of 13 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't worry about it. I've found a rest of several months to be beneficial in the long run.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook