Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, ca.)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

math

Sep 14, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #1 of 7 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, ca.)  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Upper_Bridge_Bands: Hideout_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The town of Rockwood is 15 min east of Guelph/west of Georgetown on Hwy 7. The conservation area is right along the south edge of Hwy 7 (unfortunately, for camping there :( just west of the town centre.

Likely no climbing is allowed on any of the rock, but Im curious what the history of climbing around there is.

There's some gorgeous white limestone all around the man made small lake on the Eramosa river - since it's man made, the cliffs mostly go straight down into the water, making it look like there's alot of great soloing over water to be done. Some of the west/south west bank of the 'river' (lake?) especially upstream from the beach area is quite high > 20-25m+? Those maybe not a great top-out routes - but much of the rest is only 5-10m. There's a very picturesque chunk that looks like an island in the middle of the lake visible from the beach (actually a small peninsula that's attached behind the chunk to the far side of the lake) -- looks like a great climb! I paddled around (unfortunately (for my climbing :) with my two young newphews and no shoes in a rented canoe - with ulterior motives? :) and got a closer look.

Some awesome roof climbing in a few of the 'caves' that are over the water in a number of places (nice fall height too 2-5m) if you can crank that hard for that far :)

I didn't see any chalk really, and pretty certain no bolts (or oldskule manky pitons from days of yore...)

Anyone know the history, or climbed any of it or know the access restrictions?

/math

downshift

Sep 15, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 7 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Subject of Rockwood has come up before on this site. I presonally haven't checked it out but feel free to and let us know...

Here is the Info.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...4&highlight=rockwood

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...0&highlight=rockwood

downshift

Sep 30, 2004, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 7 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rockwood actaully has some pretty sick problems... i'm out there once or twice a week and no one has ever had any problem with any of us climbing... only problem with the place is the hardest problem put up out there is a V4 ... but i actaully believe theres a 5.12 bolted out there

Where are the problems located in relation the main parking lot / trails?

Thanks,

Greg

kingjawsh

Nov 18, 2004, 4:30 PM
Post #4 of 7 (7088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i actaully couldnt tell u where they are from the main parking lot.. mainly cuz i always go in through the back entrance

Dariusz

Nov 1, 2012, 8:25 PM
Post #5 of 7 (4535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [downshift] Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Greg,
I was curious if rock climbing is still permitted at rock wood like you stated in a post back in 2004?
also any ideas as to the whereabouts of the bolted route?
I go there often and i recently a couple of years ago got in to climbing and there is some good climbing at rock wood just not sure if its allowed.

John5

Nov 1, 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #6 of 7 (4518 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dariusz] Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dariusz wrote:
Hi Greg,
I was curious if rock climbing is still permitted at rock wood like you stated in a post back in 2004?
also any ideas as to the whereabouts of the bolted route?
I go there often and i recently a couple of years ago got in to climbing and there is some good climbing at rock wood just not sure if its allowed.

rockwood is closed.

Ontarioclimbing.com is a little more in tune with local beta.

benrowe

Apr 17, 2013, 8:53 PM
Post #7 of 7 (4203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [John5] Rockwood Conservation Area? (Golden Horseshoe, Ontario, [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is very interesting, I was born in Rockwood 42years ago and have been a climber for 30 odd years in the uk after moving here when I was 4. I remembered seeing old family snaps of rock at Rockwood and often wondered if anyone climbed on it. Now I know . . . not really but a bit!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook