RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

scottcrawford

Nov 5, 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6094 views)
Shortcut

youngest climber, Raven's Roost
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I do not know if there is an official listing for certain climbs. I would like to put it out there that my daughter, Elizabeth Crawford, completed Raven's Roost at the age of 12. Raven's Roost is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I would consider this 115' cliff to be of moderate difficulty. I have started climbing this face since I was in college. Elizabeth showed an interest in the outdoors with backpacking and the like. So I introduced her to climbing. She is a natural.

skellie

Nov 5, 2012, 2:55 PM
Post #2 of 13 (6063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scottcrawford] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.8a.nu/

mojomonkey

Nov 5, 2012, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 13 (6059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scottcrawford wrote:
I do not know if there is an official listing for certain climbs. I would like to put it out there that my daughter, Elizabeth Crawford, completed Raven's Roost at the age of 12. Raven's Roost is located on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I would consider this 115' cliff to be of moderate difficulty. I have started climbing this face since I was in college. Elizabeth showed an interest in the outdoors with backpacking and the like. So I introduced her to climbing. She is a natural.

You'll need to contact the AAC and have an official on site to witness the ascent to become part of the official registry.

Congrats in the mean time? A proud and supportive parent is great, but don't go overboard...

naitch

Nov 5, 2012, 3:11 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6049 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Which climbs?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/.../Ravens_Roost/Raven/

...and this is only a partial listing. This includes most of the notable climbs but there are a buch more easy climbs on the left-hand side of the cliff (climber's left) If she's completed this list, it is indeed quite an accomplishment!

All the climbs there are <100' unless you count the low angle walk-offs after the actual climbing is done.

Be careful of the tourons on top that like to chuck rocks off! We've almost been nailed several times.

deschamps1000

Nov 5, 2012, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

No, there is no list for these kinds of things, and to be honest, it doesn't really matter.

gblauer

Nov 5, 2012, 4:11 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6022 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

umm, not to rain on your parade, but, have you seen this?
http://www.examiner.com/...y-climbs-two-5-14c-s

Ashima Shiraishi has become a phenomenon as a climber at only 11-years-old, because she crushes the difficult routes that some climbers only dream of being able to do. These incredible feats are being accomplished by a quiet, polite, and sweet little Japanese-American girl from New York, and she just caused more jaw-dropping after redpointing two 5.14c’s at Red River Gorge last week.

Ashima’s main goal for the week-long trip to Red River Gorge was to climb her first 5.14a. On the first day she was there, on just her second try, she reached that goal by climbing God’s Own Stone. Day two she flashed her first 5.14a with minimal beta on the climb Omaha Beach. This made her the youngest person to flash a 5.14a.

View slideshow: Ashima Shiraishi 11-year-old climbing prodigy climbs two 5.14c’s
With five days left, of course Ashima wanted to try something harder. She headed to Lucifer on Purgatory and Southern Smoke on Bob Marley Crag, both 5.14c’s. After giving three tries on Southern Smoke on day five, Ashima returned to it on day six and redpointed her first 5.14c making her the youngest person, male or female, to climb the grade. She wasn’t done yet though. Only 24 hours later, she returned to Lucifer, the climb she had focused on initially before moving onto Southern Smoke and redpointed her second 5.14c on her last day at Red River Gorge.

.Ashima Shiraishi redpoints two 5.14c's
Photo credit: Reel Rock ..

.Video: Age is no limit: A Nine Year Old Climber, Ashima Shiraishi .Deadpoint Magazine’s Mike Williams spoke to Ashima on the last day of the trip. Ashima said, “My goal was to do a 5.14a. It felt pretty cool to do one on my first day and then to flash Omaha the next day. I was really happy to do Southern Smoke too. It's already more than I expected I could do." This was moments before she sent Lucifer.

Obe Carrion, one of the country’s best boulderers, realized the potential Ashima had when he saw her at a climbing gym in New York and became her coach for 4 ˝ years. He was with her when she did some of her most amazing work. Carrion is now a coach with Team ABC (America’s Best Climbers) sharing his amazing talents as a youth climbing coach.

When Jason Kehl spent time in Hueco Tanks with Ashima, he stated, “I personally think grades are meaningless, a rough estimate. Ashima has proven this by taking everything we thought they knew about grades and throwing it out the window. It’s all about your perspective not about a number someone labeled the rock with.”

Ashima’s climbing career has been soaring with all of the unbelievable ascents she has made at such a young age. Another young great, accomplished climber, Sasha DiGiulian said, “Ashima is an inspiration to all of us to just go for our goals and to not be afraid of failure. She is a fearless climber who works hard and maintains such an enjoyable, down-to-earth attitude.”

With the astounding climbing routes Ashima now has under her belt, there’s no doubt we’ll be hearing about a redpoint on a 5.14d in the near future. Congratulations to Ashima and may her incredible stamina continue for more limitless climbing!

gunkiemike

Nov 6, 2012, 11:01 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Obe Carrion, one of the country’s best boulderers, realized the potential Ashima had when he saw her at a climbing gym in New York and became her coach for 4 ˝ years.

So she got a pro coach at AGE FOUR?

Prodigy or not, this creeps me out just a bit. I'd expect something like that from the former Soviet Union, but...geez. A girl that young needs to just be a kid.

I guess it's better than the freaks on Toddlers and Tiaras. (And by freaks I mean THE PARENTS)

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on Nov 7, 2012, 12:47 AM)

gblauer

Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I watched her climb at Brooklyn Boulders. Her dad was belaying her. She is quite the little climber. She is tiny. It will be interesting to watch her progression as she passes through puberty and beyond. Like gymnasts and skaters, puberty can have a big impact on climbing prodigies.

olderic

Nov 7, 2012, 5:15 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
gblauer wrote:
Obe Carrion, one of the country’s best boulderers, realized the potential Ashima had when he saw her at a climbing gym in New York and became her coach for 4 ˝ years.

Prodigy or not, this creeps me out just a bit. I'd expect something like that from the former Soviet Union, but...geez. A girl that young needs to just be a kid.

I guess it's better than the freaks on Toddlers and Tiaras. (And by freaks I mean THE PARENTS)

If she is 11 now and had a coach for 4.5 years... Either your reading comprehension is off or you are working in octal.

gunkiemike

Nov 7, 2012, 8:55 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
gunkiemike wrote:
gblauer wrote:

If she is 11 now and had a coach for 4.5 years... Either your reading comprehension is off or you are working in octal.

I dunno, maybe I read this:

> Video: Age is no limit: A Nine Year Old Climber, Ashima Shiraishi .

smallclimber

Nov 10, 2012, 3:31 AM
Post #11 of 13 (5865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
puberty can have a big impact on climbing prodigies.
Though not nearly such an impact as menopause has on us more mature climbing prodigies!!

gblauer

Nov 10, 2012, 1:07 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] youngest climber, Raven's Roost [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen sister!!! Well said.

TScott27

Nov 14, 2012, 9:39 AM
Post #13 of 13 (5697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing! Saw the MSNBC video and she's superb! But I won't be pushing my kids too far, unless of course they're naturals like Ashima. Thanks for posting.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook