RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

bradhill

Jan 10, 2003, 8:47 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Drugs and alpine ethics.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I saw this, remembered this, and thought that 60-hour Slovak-Direct/Infinite Spur single pushes may be coming soon to a range near you.

But is this cheating? Alpinists currently and historically use a host of drugs to enhance their performance. Coca tea in the early age of 8000ers, dexedrine in the 60s and 70s, asprin to help with frostbite, etc.. At what point does it become unacceptable?

Caffiene & vitamin fortified carbohydrate gel? Over the counter wakefulness aids & painkillers? (day-Quil or such)

The recordholder for fastest circuit of all the Colorado 14ers aroused a lot of controversy by taking IV nutrition between climbs since he was using calories at a rate than his digestive system couldn't replenish.

Where do you draw the line for yourself? Should we tag amazing climbs with a new rating for biological "aid"?

natec

Jan 10, 2003, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1115 views)
Shortcut

Drugs and alpine ethics. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This argument only matters if you care more about what other people are climbing than what you are climbing yourself.

If drugs will help me climb a route safely, I'd use them. What should anyone else care what drugs I'M taking.

Edit: I don't like the tone that my msg is carrying.

What I'm saying is that the choice on using drugs or medical methods is up to the individual. One day people might get really cooky with this whole thing and you will start hearing about "first ascent without supplemental caffeine." In the end what really matters is up to the individual climbing the route. This shouldn't become something resembling an ethical debate.

[ This Message was edited by: natec on 2003-01-10 13:18 ]

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook