Premier Sponsor:

traddad

Dec 12, 2012, 2:01 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4638 views)
Shortcut

I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting my left hip replaced. A bit early in my life but I have a family history. I sorta blame stretching for turn out. It always hurt, but it could have been a chicken/egg thing.
This probably effectively ends my climbing career...I'm not saying it was any great shakes lately but it would have been nice to have had the option. I have emotional issues with "closed ended" activities; those where there is a solid ceiling beyond which I can progress. Doc said climbing would probably push the envelope for the prosthetic.
HOWEVER: Cycling is the shiz for old guys with hip issues. Just ask that doper Floyd Landis.
Don't worry, I'll still pop in from time to time to piss on the the completely illogical and morally corrupt thought processes of willfully ignorant, knuckle dragging conservatives. That's recreation for me.

granite_grrl

Dec 12, 2012, 3:06 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] I know what I'm doing tomorrow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep in mind that most people don't understand the physics of climbing. If climbing pushes the limit of the prosthetic does that mean that body weight squats and yoga also push the limits?

Obviously don't push it if you don't feel up to it, but take what the docs say with a grain of salt.

Partner camhead

Dec 12, 2012, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4609 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck, and here's hoping that you'll be able to still do something on the rock.

And I assume that river running will still be an option? I know plenty of geriatric farts that still do that :)

dr_feelgood

Dec 12, 2012, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Getting my left hip replaced. A bit early in my life but I have a family history. I sorta blame stretching for turn out. It always hurt, but it could have been a chicken/egg thing.
This probably effectively ends my climbing career...I'm not saying it was any great shakes lately but it would have been nice to have had the option. I have emotional issues with "closed ended" activities; those where there is a solid ceiling beyond which I can progress. Doc said climbing would probably push the envelope for the prosthetic.
HOWEVER: Cycling is the shiz for old guys with hip issues. Just ask that doper Floyd Landis.
Don't worry, I'll still pop in from time to time to piss on the the completely illogical and morally corrupt thought processes of willfully ignorant, knuckle dragging conservatives. That's recreation for me.
You may be amazed how well the bionic hip performs. You will likely be walking within a day or two of the surgery.

traddad

Dec 12, 2012, 5:17 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] I know what I'm doing tomorrow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
traddad wrote:
You may be amazed how well the bionic hip performs. You will likely be walking within a day or two of the surgery.

I'll be walking the day OF surgery, and back spinning on the stationary trainer later that week. Hopefully I'll be training again within six weeks.

lena_chita

Dec 12, 2012, 5:23 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck with your surgery and recovery!

jt512

Dec 12, 2012, 6:05 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4586 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Doc said climbing would probably push the envelope for the prosthetic.

Does your doctor understand climbing well enough to make that judgment? I know someone who has been climbing harder after his hip replacement than before, which makes sense, given that he had a bad hip.

Jay

Partner camhead

Dec 12, 2012, 6:55 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] I know what I'm doing tomorrow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
traddad wrote:
Doc said climbing would probably push the envelope for the prosthetic.

Does your doctor understand climbing well enough to make that judgment? I know someone who has been climbing harder after his hip replacement than before, which makes sense, given that he had a bad hip.

Jay

I believe that Lee Sheftel a 60-something Rifle local who cranks 5.14, has gone through hip replacement surgery. I'm sure that all cases are different, though.

Partner macherry

Dec 12, 2012, 8:30 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

enjoy the meds!!

edge

Dec 12, 2012, 8:53 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4559 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't give up yet! You'll be back in the gym in no time!

Which is to say, good luck.

traddad

Dec 16, 2012, 3:29 AM
Post #11 of 15 (4501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] I know what I'm doing tomorrow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Don't give up yet! You'll be back in the gym in no time!

Which is to say, good luck.

Got the new hip. Feel like I have a hangover.

Partner macherry

Dec 16, 2012, 4:37 AM
Post #12 of 15 (4492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's the painkillers

dan2see

Dec 16, 2012, 7:28 AM
Post #13 of 15 (4480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck!

In the weeks ahead, I hope you keep your attitude positive above everything else. I hope you just keep working at improving your mobility, and just keep trying, and never use the word "can't" about anything. Remember, hip replacement is one of the most successful operations ever invented.

traddad

Dec 16, 2012, 2:32 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] I know what I'm doing tomorrow! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not tap dancing yet, but I'm amazed at how much better I am already. I'm going to have to slow myself down. I had a SuperPATH replacement, done by a rockstar. I see good things ahead.

gunkiemike

Jan 13, 2013, 7:28 PM
Post #15 of 15 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update?

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me: