RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

BillKozbee

Dec 25, 2012, 6:23 AM
Post #1 of 9 (6265 views)
Shortcut

Lead belaying help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When I am belaying a leader, what is the best course of action when the leader takes out slack to clip but does not make the clip (says take, etc.). I can take back the slack that was given but I can't do anything to take any extra slack. What if they want to climb down? How do I take slack other than just moving away from the wall? There isn't tension in the rope so I can't easily take the slack back.

theextremist04

Dec 25, 2012, 7:03 AM
Post #2 of 9 (6251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BillKozbee] Lead belaying help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BillKozbee wrote:
When I am belaying a leader, what is the best course of action when the leader takes out slack to clip but does not make the clip (says take, etc.). I can take back the slack that was given but I can't do anything to take any extra slack. What if they want to climb down? How do I take slack other than just moving away from the wall? There isn't tension in the rope so I can't easily take the slack back.
Have you ever belayed someone on top rope? That's how you take slack in. If someone goes to make a clip and then doesn't I'm gonna be pulling slack in really quickly because I don't want them blowing the clip.

jt512

Dec 25, 2012, 9:40 AM
Post #3 of 9 (6231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

BillKozbee wrote:

Just reel in the slack, you know, as if you were fishing.

Jay

notapplicable

Dec 25, 2012, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 9 (6158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BillKozbee wrote:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. You might want to rephrase the question because the bold sections seem to contradict one another.

What I think you may be asking is - 'How can I take in additional rope beyond the slack that is free and available in the system, in order to shorten the length of a climbers fall.'

If that is the question, generally you do not want to take in slack as the climber falls unless they are in danger of hitting something like the ground or a ledge. Getting slammed in to the wall because your belayer sat down hard or ran backwards is not much fun. Honestly, what your climber asks you to do when they are scared and about to fall may not be whats really best for them. It is your job as the belayer to evaluate the situation but most times you want the dynamic elements of the system to do their job and make the catch comfortable and safe for you and the climber.

Partner cracklover

Dec 25, 2012, 9:02 PM
Post #5 of 9 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Lead belaying help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
BillKozbee wrote:

Jay

Hey, hey, hey, it's thaaaat easy.

GO

shotwell

Dec 25, 2012, 9:07 PM
Post #6 of 9 (6141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Lead belaying help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
BillKozbee wrote:

Jay

GO

Sweet Jesus, I now have a great idea for a new belay device.

Partner cracklover

Dec 26, 2012, 5:04 PM
Post #7 of 9 (6064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shotwell] Lead belaying help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shotwell wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
BillKozbee wrote:

Jay

GO

Is Fat Albert involved somehow? If so, I want a cut on the proceeds!

GO

shotwell

Dec 26, 2012, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 9 (6062 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Lead belaying help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
shotwell wrote:
cracklover wrote:
jt512 wrote:
BillKozbee wrote:

Jay

GO

Is Fat Albert involved somehow? If so, I want a cut on the proceeds!

GO

Nope. Just keep your eyes on the market for the least commercially viable device ever.

CrimpyFever

Jan 17, 2013, 3:50 AM
Post #9 of 9 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just walk away from the wall a few feet while taking in slack, it'll be gone in no time

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook