RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

yarnwitch

Dec 26, 2012, 5:44 PM
Post #1 of 7 (4076 views)
Shortcut

Surgery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Back in September I underwent an emergency surgery. The stitches are out, the skin is healed, and fortunately for me, the incisions were small to begin with. (Yay laparoscopic surgeries).

About a month ago, I made an attempt to boulder. I was still able to push myself to do the v2s I've worked up to in the last few months. (I confess, I'm new to this!) But not too many climbs later, I had pain in my abdomen and nearly fell off the wall. I thought maybe I had pushed myself too hard. So I've given it another month.

Even so, I am pretty terrified. How long does it take to heal inside? How should I pace myself? Should I even be climbing right now?

I'd really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

wonderwoman

Dec 26, 2012, 6:20 PM
Post #2 of 7 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yarnwitch] Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are probably looking for responses from people who have been through the same thing, but you don't say what surgery you had. I understand if you don't want to over-share, so maybe you want to ask a doctor, instead. Regardless, I hope you feel better!

yarnwitch

Dec 26, 2012, 6:28 PM
Post #3 of 7 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a bit worried I'd hit triggers for people, I wasn't terribly sure what was appropriate. Though, a doctor knows about the body, I feel like climbers would have advice on the climbing bit.

I used to have an IUD (Intrauterine Device) to help prevent pregnancy. Unfortunately, my husband and I have super-interesting luck (we weren't trying!). I got pregnant in a completely unviable place: My right ovary. It burst. I was very fortunate my husband didn't go on his planned climbing trip that day. Made it to the hospital, found out there was a good bit of internal bleeding going on. It's all good now though.

Is that better detail? I'm sorry, I'm kinda new at having to explain something like that. hehe.

(This post was edited by yarnwitch on Dec 26, 2012, 7:05 PM)

smallclimber

Dec 28, 2012, 3:23 AM
Post #4 of 7 (3987 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't really comment on your surgery, but I had a c-section for both my kids (fortunately they were in the right place!). After the first one I started some very easy top roping after a month, though I was very cautious not to even fall on top rope and lowering was a little bit sore. By about 6 weeks I was comfortable top roping and at about 8 weeks fairly comfortable bouldering at the gym - though I am a total scardy cat and don't climb anything I am likely to fall on regardless of any operations. However I still knew I had had an operation even 4 month after. I think by five months I no longer was aware of it. The second one was actually quicker to recover from.
I think you mentioned September, so less than 4 months ago, so your body still knows something happened. Might be worth a trip back to the doctor to see what they advise on exercise and if you do have pain again I would think its worth checking out everything is healing as planned.
There is probably a psychological aspect as well, you are a bit worried and any small tweak will worry you more.
Good luck.

lena_chita

Dec 28, 2012, 4:02 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yarnwitch wrote:
Back in September I underwent an emergency surgery. The stitches are out, the skin is healed, and fortunately for me, the incisions were small to begin with. (Yay laparoscopic surgeries).

About a month ago, I made an attempt to boulder. I was still able to push myself to do the v2s I've worked up to in the last few months. (I confess, I'm new to this!) But not too many climbs later, I had pain in my abdomen and nearly fell off the wall. I thought maybe I had pushed myself too hard. So I've given it another month.

Even so, I am pretty terrified. How long does it take to heal inside? How should I pace myself? Should I even be climbing right now?

I'd really appreciate some advice. Thank you.

I am assuming that you waited until the doctor had given you an O.K. to resume physical activity. (time-wise, it sounds like you waited sufficient amount of time-- the time doctor would recommend for someone with C-section, for example)

I am also assuming that you felt sharp pain during the move you were trying, and then the pain subsided quickly.

If that assumption is correct, and if, other that that pain you had a month ago, you had no adverse effects since then, I would say that you should try climbing again, and not worry about it too much.

Healing inside takes the same amount of time as healing outside. If your little incisions look healed, there is no reason to think that the same isn't true for any cuts/stitches inside.

My guess would be that you had a tiny adhesion or some scar tissue that pulled when you were trying hard, and that's what the pain was. If it happens again, ask the doctor about it. If it is due to scar tissue that is still there, you will likely experience the pain again, doing some moves, until the tissue stretches some.

It sounds like a very unpleasant experience. I am sorry you had to go through all of that, and I hope you get back into climbing as much as you used to.

gblauer

Dec 29, 2012, 1:40 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Surgery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it were me, I would consult my physician. I agree with Lena, you are likely healed, but, who knows what caused your pain? As you already discovered, very strange things can happen...

lywang

Jan 26, 2013, 8:01 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just had laparoscopic surgery to remove an ovarian cyst about 10 days ago, and am wondering the same thing essentially regarding recovery....

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook