RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

frieguy

Nov 23, 2012, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 9 (3123 views)
Shortcut

first yosemite trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so im going to be making my first pilgrimage to yosemite in the early spring. im going to be camping and be solo for most of the trip. i was wondering is there a option for storing gear somewhere and is theft of gear a real issue in the campground?

USnavy

Nov 23, 2012, 3:31 AM
Post #2 of 9 (3099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frieguy] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am not really aware of any place to store gear other than your tent. I supposed you could store it in the bear boxes for awhile, but it would likely get concatenated or stolen. I have heard of people getting their stuff stolen in Yosemite out of their tents, but it has never happened to me. Honestly, if you plan to dirt bag it there for awhile and need a place to store stuff, bringing a vehicle is your best bet. You can store your gear in there.

jt512

Nov 23, 2012, 8:28 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
I am not really aware of any place to store gear other than your tent. I supposed you could store it in the bear boxes for awhile, but it would likely get concatenated or stolen. I have heard of people getting their stuff stolen in Yosemite out of their tents, but it has never happened to me. Honestly, if you plan to dirt bag it there for awhile and need a place to store stuff, bringing a vehicle is your best bet. You can store your gear in there.

Concatenated?

Rudmin

Nov 23, 2012, 7:53 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Concatenated?

That's where they connect all your gear together into a big chain, like this:

vinnie83

Nov 24, 2012, 12:08 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Concatenated?

Maybe he meant confiscated?

Either way there isn't enough space in bear boxes for everyone's food and your gear. At camp 4 you will be sharing a bear box with other people in your site so you can't put a lock on it and it really isn't any safer than in your tent.

I second the keeping it in your car recommendation.

USnavy

Nov 24, 2012, 5:34 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
USnavy wrote:

Concatenated?
Yes.

concatenatedpast participle, past tense of con·cat·e·nate
Verb:
Link (things) together in a chain or series.

After that, it will get confiscated.

fingerincrevice

Jan 11, 2013, 2:01 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Car is your best bet for storing gear, just try not to leave anything valuable in plain sight.

markc

Jan 15, 2013, 3:28 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fingerincrevice] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Food in the bear box, junk in your trunk. I went with a rental car, and kept minimal personal stuff in my tent. The trunk had the majority of my clothes and all our gear. If you don't have a car, your storage options will be limited.

sanarteaga

Jan 15, 2013, 8:34 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frieguy] first yosemite trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bro, I went through the exact same problem two years ago. I stayed for about 5 weeks in different campgrounds and never had any problems. You will notice many people keep their haul bags on the ground by their tents or inside the ten... and normally no one bothers with them.

My personal solution to this was simple: quickly make friends with a car to keep your real valuables in their car, and keep the gear inside the haul bag inside the tent...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook