Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JimTitt

Jan 15, 2013, 6:20 PM
Post #26 of 43 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [viciado] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You do know Denis Healey is spelt with an extra e?

viciado

Jan 15, 2013, 8:33 PM
Post #27 of 43 (5597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I didn't. I suppose I ought to correct the spelling , but where would be the irony in that?

milesenoell

Jan 16, 2013, 3:20 PM
Post #28 of 43 (5508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
viciado wrote:
Even experienced climbers make serious mistakes though.

Accidents involving experienced climbers usually entail raps off uneven ropes, drops while TRing, and partial tie-ins. Mistakes of anchors, protection, and actual climbing are actually quite rare among experienced climbers.

On the other hand, folks crossing over from sport at a reasonably high level without the requisite amount of trad seconding / mentoring are often positively horrifying to watch.

Anytime someone refers to their "combined years of experience" with the other people in their party I get the urge to slap them.

JimTitt

Jan 16, 2013, 6:42 PM
Post #29 of 43 (5472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

milesenoell wrote:
healyje wrote:
viciado wrote:
Even experienced climbers make serious mistakes though.

Accidents involving experienced climbers usually entail raps off uneven ropes, drops while TRing, and partial tie-ins. Mistakes of anchors, protection, and actual climbing are actually quite rare among experienced climbers.

On the other hand, folks crossing over from sport at a reasonably high level without the requisite amount of trad seconding / mentoring are often positively horrifying to watch.

Anytime someone refers to their "combined years of experience" with the other people in their party I get the urge to slap them.

My brother and I were climbing with another guy last month, we had 146 years of combined experience. Itīs a brave man or an internet warrior that would think about slapping me!

Partner rgold

Jan 16, 2013, 7:46 PM
Post #30 of 43 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

About 200+ years of climbing experience.

Slap away...

avalon420

Jan 16, 2013, 8:06 PM
Post #31 of 43 (5443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
About 200+ years of climbing experience.

[img]http://www.supertopo.com/photos/6/92/190678_5166_XL.jpg[/img]

Slap away...
Only if can use a #11 hex.... on perlon!Wink

curt

Jan 16, 2013, 9:30 PM
Post #32 of 43 (5424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patto wrote:
Update:

Hi Guys,
I am one of the climbers that was involved in the fall...

...I placed a cam deep into the horizontal crack for my partner to clip into. While I looked around for other possible routes. I stopped up onto a shelf that was about hip height to take a look at the wall above the small rooflet, again looking for gear placement or carrots for our first bit of pro. At this point of time I still had no intention of climbing on, I was just looking for the possible route, but my second put me on belay out of habit...

I'm a little surprised that nobody has commented on this yet--as this error is likely the proximate cause of the accident. Apparently, by thinking he was merely scoping out the possible line, the climber failed to realize that he was, in actual fact, really climbing.

It is particularly important to realize the importance of good anchors and good protection directly off belay ledges, where the possibility for high fall-factor falls is high.

Curt

patto

Jan 16, 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #34 of 43 (5380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm not sure all this insult slinging is productive. Mistakes were made yes. Sure discuss them. Those involved and those reading can learn from the incident.

However simple berating those involved to make yourself feel better about yourself is not what A&IA forums is about.

surfstar

Jan 17, 2013, 12:39 AM
Post #35 of 43 (5356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patto] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So Factor 2 falls do happen.

We need to resuscitate an equallete thread.

gunkiemike

Jan 17, 2013, 1:49 AM
Post #36 of 43 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfstar] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfstar wrote:

Start a new, redundant one. It's the rc.com way.

healyje

Jan 17, 2013, 2:48 AM
Post #37 of 43 (5334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [surfstar] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

surfstar wrote:

You'd need a new monolette thread.

Partner rgold

Jan 17, 2013, 5:40 AM
Post #38 of 43 (5305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can sort of understand how this unfolded, although the description is pretty confusing. Anyone who has done much mountaineering knows how subtly and insidiously a third-class situation can turn into a fifth-class one, sometimes after a single unfortunate move.

The fact that the leader was on a shelf only hip-height above the ledge apparently lured both of them into thinking climbing, as opposed to unbelayed scoping, hadn't begun yet, and maybe they thought that a fall from that spot wouldn't send the leader over the edge in any case, although a ledge in the 3-5 feet range sure isn't very big.

Whatever the party might have been thinking, when the leader placed a protection piece, that would have been the moment for both leader and second to say, independently, whoa---now we need a proper anchor. The lack of an appropriate response from either of them at this moment constituted a shared flaw that certainly should have been fatal for both.

This really serious communal error was compounded when the leader chose to yard on an unseen flake in spite of questionable protection. When you start stringing together bad decisions is when the trouble typically starts.

It is always hard to know what to make of "experience." Sometimes people get away with terrible practices for years, becoming "experienced" without really ever having learned how to be safe. And then some climbers get less experience in, say, eight years than others do in a year.

In any case, as someone with 56 years of "experience," I'm here to say that it ain't all its cracked up to be. Experience can promote complacency, and it can also blunt appropriate fear levels and promote a faulty sense of of infallible judgement. I'm always taken aback when I hear experienced climbers speaking in absolutes about their capabilities and judgement. I think experience ought to teach us that we're not as smart, not as competent, and not as able to control everything as we may think, and a lifetime of good decisions can be undone in an instant by a single bad one.

majid_sabet

Jan 17, 2013, 5:58 AM
Post #39 of 43 (5298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1 pro=your entire life is on it
2 pro=50% chance to either live or die
3 pro= more chance to live than die

billl7

Jan 17, 2013, 2:41 PM
Post #40 of 43 (5249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
1 pro=your entire life is on it
2 pro=50% chance to either live or die
3 pro= more chance to live than die
As a rule of thumb, ok ... and meaningful in terms of the circumstances of this accident. At the same time and in a broader view, it completely ignores bomber pro as well as belay stance.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jan 17, 2013, 2:42 PM)

ClimbClimb

Jan 17, 2013, 6:16 PM
Post #41 of 43 (5200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
In reply to:
At this point of time I still had no intention of climbing on, I was just looking for the possible route, but my second put me on belay out of habit...

I'm a little surprised that nobody has commented on this yet--as this error is likely the proximate cause of the accident. Apparently, by thinking he was merely scoping out the possible line, the climber failed to realize that he was, in actual fact, really climbing.

Hope they continue to heal well. Could've happened to any one -- it's sort of the ledge version of "unfinished tie-in not".

It is particularly important to realize the importance of good anchors and good protection directly off belay ledges, where the possibility for high fall-factor falls is high.

Curt

Right, if this is really the case -- the three-piece anchor was not clipped or was broken down, and all they had was the one cam, it feels like a classic "slippery slope" accident - taking more risk then they would if not at all on belay or with no pro clipped at all, but yet not protecting as they would if "really climbing".

(This post was edited by ClimbClimb on Jan 17, 2013, 6:17 PM)

patto

Jan 17, 2013, 9:44 PM
Post #42 of 43 (5160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Two rock climbers seriously injured after cliff fall near Mt Victoria [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
I can sort of understand how this unfolded, although the description is pretty confusing. Anyone who has done much mountaineering knows how subtly and insidiously a third-class situation can turn into a fifth-class one, sometimes after a single unfortunate move.

Exactly.

The fundamental problem here being reliant on shit gear. The results speak for themselves. The gear was shit. Personally I would be happy to entrust my life to ONE bomber piece of gear. Though my requirements on what constitutes bomber may be stringent.

One cam in a choosy ledge in blue mountains sandstone does not fit the normal description of good gear let alone a good anchor.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook