RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

03alittle

Jan 17, 2013, 9:34 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3163 views)
Shortcut

Why do you choose to climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hi, My name is Adam and I'm conducting research into the possible differences between why men and women choose to climb for a third year university project. I need approx. 200 more pieces of data from women specifically. The following questionnaire is completely ANONYMOUS. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcomed. My contact address is 10291871@stu.mmu.ac.uk. It will take less than 5 minutes and any help is massively appreciated. Thank You for your time.

Simply click on this link and follow the instructions:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K377NGV

(This post was edited by 03alittle on Jan 17, 2013, 10:35 PM)

lena_chita

Jan 18, 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [03alittle] Why do you choose to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

03alittle wrote:
Hi, My name is Adam and I'm conducting research into the possible differences between why men and women choose to climb for a third year university project. I need approx. 200 more pieces of data from women specifically. The following questionnaire is completely ANONYMOUS. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcomed. My contact address is 10291871@stu.mmu.ac.uk. It will take less than 5 minutes and any help is massively appreciated. Thank You for your time.

Simply click on this link and follow the instructions:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K377NGV

Input:

If you are soliciting for responses here, then the answer to the question " do you continue to climb since your first experience?" will be very skewed from reality, because you asking a group of climbers who DID choose to become regular climbers. There are plenty of people who tried once and never went back, but they aren't hanging out on this site.

The choices for "why you continue to climb?' are rather dumb. Financial gain? Ease of access? Really?

03alittle

Jan 19, 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Why do you choose to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Originally the questionnaire was for people who may not have continued to climb and I just haven't changed it since posting it here.

I love feedback, good or bad, makes my job a lot easier with my project. But could you elaborate on why those choices seem 'dumb'? I'm not questioning your opinion, I just need an explanation so I can write up about and possibly change it.

Cheers

granite_grrl

Jan 20, 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little more feedback: "How often do you climb?"

I don't really have an answer with the options you have given. I like to climb 2 to 4 days a week, which is a lot less than "daily" and a lot more than "weekly". You'll find my volume is fairly typical for your avid climber.

As for Lenas points: "Financial gain" is kinda stupid because no one makes money climbing. Even the majority of sponsored climbers make so little it's laughable. As for "work" I assume you mean stuff like guiding and majority of guides do it so they can live closer to good climbing and have something to do out there. Climbing for themselves has led them to guiding, guiding hasn't lead them to climbing.

"Ease of Access" might be valid for your recreational gym climbing. If they didn't live close to a climbing gym they wouldn't bother with it, but you won't really find that type on this forum.

Oh, and I just don't get "scientific investigation".

03alittle

Jan 20, 2013, 2:11 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Why do you choose to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's fantastic feedback. I never considered people getting into guiding through climbing if you get me, I just presumed you may decide to guide and consequently climb.

I do apologise for any ambiguity, I had tried to get rid of it. For the last question, I've tried to encompass reasons from the last century or so, so when climbing was new people were investigating fauna and flora, therefore conducting scientific investigations. I put it in there to account for people who may still use climbing to conduct science experiments but as the results show so it rarely happens.

I do also understand the type of climber I've asked i've just been a bit lazy with not adapting my questionnaire and that's my fault for not accommodating my audience, so I do apologise again.

Anyway, thank you for your comments they are appreciated as you give me a further insight into the climbing community and not what it might be perceived to be.

kiwiprincess

Jan 20, 2013, 7:54 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont see where that will get you
I put enjoyment
I tried climbing , I liked it , I kept doing it.
Challenge was part of it, progression, Community...But just Fun really

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook