Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Wade308

Dec 4, 2012, 7:43 PM
Post #1 of 40 (19863 views)
Shortcut

Minor joint pain. Supplements?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Been getting some joint pain recently. Little bit in the shoulders, but more so in my right ankle. No swelling or anything like that.
Didn't tweak it or doing anything extreme, just started getting sore, especially on rotating and extreme pointing.

Is there any good supplements for joints I could try?
I'd like to stay ahead of this and not let it become a problem.

jomagam

Dec 5, 2012, 2:19 AM
Post #2 of 40 (19749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Wade308] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Cosamine DS.

C3L1CA

Dec 5, 2012, 2:42 PM
Post #3 of 40 (19690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take glucosamine and has seemed to help me. Nohting special, just get a big bottle from Target called Schiff Glucosamine

henry88

Jan 3, 2013, 6:22 AM
Post #5 of 40 (19362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Supplements for arthritis should always consists of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate as they are considered as highly effective for joint pain treatment.

FullertonImages

Jan 8, 2013, 4:37 AM
Post #6 of 40 (19237 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use some stuff from Hammer Nutrition called Tissue Rejuvinator, and it is amazing. I'm tall, lanky and have had various, overlapping joint/tendon problems for most of my life, and I've tried many supplements. This one is by far the best one I've found. It has the standard Glucosamine/Chondroitin that other people have mention, but en it goes beyond that and has a lot more herbal stuff that is traditionally associated with joint health. On top of that, Hammer is a good, well respected company, and uses high quality ingredients. Supplements aren't regulated by anyone, so reputation matters. Otherwise you can end up wasting money on pills claiming a lot more potency than they have.

Tissue Rejivinator has made the difference between me being able to climb or not, helping me finally get over some long standing finger and forearm problems. It's hard to find (some REIs have it or order it online), and it's a bit pricey; but it's worth it. Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

healyje

Jan 8, 2013, 4:55 AM
Post #7 of 40 (19233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

A high quality turmeric supplement which takes a couple of months to really come into play pretty much covered all my joint pain issues after a decade of too much Advil.

TradEddie

Jan 8, 2013, 6:18 PM
Post #8 of 40 (19193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

You do all realize that if any of these supplements were proven to work, they couldn't legally be sold as supplements, they'd have to be classified as drugs?

TE

healyje

Jan 8, 2013, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 40 (19179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TradEddie] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'm an old guy with a bad shoulder and a bad knee that I've been through the chronic pain mill on for decades. I also have a microbiology background and am decent enough with the pharma/medical/research literature. After a couple of decades of Advil keeping all but the worst of the problem at bay well enough to climb, I ended up being told to get off of it by my doctor. She recommended the Turmeric. I had tried chondroitin compounds over the course of a year and that didn't really do anything significant for me. However, with turmeric (high-grade curcumin), after loading it for ninety days, I was completely free of all joint pain and off the advil for the first time in recent memory.

It is not imaginary or a fluke and there are many well-documented studies on curcurimine you can reference. Sure, some are suspect, commercially-sponsored boondoggles, but most are not.

Check it out for yourself, YMMV...

TradEddie

Jan 9, 2013, 3:46 AM
Post #10 of 40 (19146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually agree, but for many of these, calling them supplements (i.e. food) is really pushing the limits.

The FD&C Act defines drugs, in part, by their intended use, as "articles intended for use in the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease" and "articles (other than food) intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(g)(1)].

TE

Neel

Jan 10, 2013, 5:42 AM
Post #11 of 40 (19108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
A high quality turmeric supplement which takes a couple of months to really come into play pretty much covered all my joint pain issues after a decade of too much Advil.

Good call, i also had positive results with fish oil and MSM.

I found glucosamine did nothing but make my wallet lighter.

jt512

Jan 10, 2013, 6:24 AM
Post #12 of 40 (19094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Well, I'm an old guy with a bad shoulder and a bad knee that I've been through the chronic pain mill on for decades. I also have a microbiology background and am decent enough with the pharma/medical/research literature. After a couple of decades of Advil keeping all but the worst of the problem at bay well enough to climb, I ended up being told to get off of it by my doctor. She recommended the Turmeric. I had tried chondroitin compounds over the course of a year and that didn't really do anything significant for me. However, with turmeric (high-grade curcumin), after loading it for ninety days, I was completely free of all joint pain and off the advil for the first time in recent memory.

It is not imaginary or a fluke and there are many well-documented studies on curcurimine you can reference. Sure, some are suspect, commercially-sponsored boondoggles, but most are not.

Check it out for yourself, YMMV...

Since Advil inhibits healing, the improvement you experienced could have simply been due to your discontinuing Advil.

Jay

healyje

Jan 10, 2013, 6:29 AM
Post #13 of 40 (19089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Since Advil inhibits healing, the improvement you experienced could have simply been due to your discontinuing Advil.

Having had a very clear Xray and MRI of the shoulder and knee in the past and seen their state it unfortunately just isn't a matter of 'healing', but rather of mileage.

(This post was edited by healyje on Jan 10, 2013, 7:14 AM)

jt512

Jan 10, 2013, 6:31 AM
Post #14 of 40 (19082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
In reply to:

Having had very clear Xrays and MRI of the should and knee in the past and seen their state it unfortunately just isn't a matter of 'healing', but rather of mileage.

So?

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 10, 2013, 6:32 AM)

healyje

Jan 10, 2013, 6:33 AM
Post #15 of 40 (19076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, it's a matter of chronic pain that existed with or without the advil prior to use of turmeric. The advil lessend it, the turmeric largely eliminated it.

jt512

Jan 10, 2013, 6:42 AM
Post #16 of 40 (19075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
So, it's a matter of chronic pain that existed with or without the advil prior to use of turmeric. The advil lessend it, the turmeric largely eliminated it.

How long did you try going without Advil prior to using tumeric?

healyje

Jan 10, 2013, 6:52 AM
Post #17 of 40 (19065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd done several year-long cold turkey stretches with no advil prior to trying the turmeric and it was probably a half a year dry spell before learning about the turmeric and trying it. The point being I'm intimately familiar with the pain levels both off and on the advil and the turmeric is the only thing which has really provided convincing long term relief for the first time to the point I wouldn't be climbing at this point without it.

jt512

Jan 10, 2013, 7:00 AM
Post #18 of 40 (19062 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
I'd done several year-long cold turkey stretches with no advil prior to trying the turmeric and it was probably a half a year dry spell before learning about the turmeric and trying it. The point being I'm intimately familiar with the pain levels both off and on the advil and the turmeric is the only thing which has really provided convincing long term relief for the first time to the point I wouldn't be climbing at this point without it.

Well, that's certainly interesting. Do you know of any controlled clinical trials of tumeric?

Jay

healyje

Jan 10, 2013, 7:16 AM
Post #19 of 40 (19054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curcumin "clinical trials"

In reply to:
Safety and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Curcumin: A Component of Tumeric (Curcuma longa)
To cite this article:
Nita Chainani-Wu. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. February 2003, 9(1): 161-168. doi:10.1089/107555303321223035.

Published in Volume: 9 Issue 1: July 5, 2004
Full Text PDF (129.7 KB) Full Text PDF with Links (221.2 KB)
Author information
Nita Chainani-Wu, DMD, MPH, MS
Department of Stomatology, University of California, San Francisco, CA
ABSTRACT
Introduction: Tumeric is a spice that comes from the root Curcuma longa, a member of the ginger family, Zingaberaceae. In Ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), tumeric has been used for its medicinal properties for various indications and through different routes of administration, including topically, orally, and by inhalation. Curcuminoids are components of tumeric, which include mainly curcumin (diferuloyl methane), demethoxycurcumin, and bisdemethoxycurcmin.

Objectives: The goal of this systematic review of the literature was to summarize the literature on the safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin.

Methods: A search of the computerized database MEDLINE™ (1966 to January 2002), a manual search of bibliographies of papers identified through MEDLINE, and an Internet search using multiple search engines for references on this topic was conducted. The PDR for Herbal Medicines, and four textbooks on herbal medicine and their bibliographies were also searched.

Results: A large number of studies on curcumin were identified. These included studies on the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antifungal properties of curcuminoids. Studies on the toxicity and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin have included in vitro, animal, and human studies. A phase 1 human trial with 25 subjects using up to 8000 mg of curcumin per day for 3 months found no toxicity from curcumin. Five other human trials using 1125-2500 mg of curcumin per day have also found it to be safe. These human studies have found some evidence of anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin. The laboratory studies have identified a number of different molecules involved in inflammation that are inhibited by curcumin including phospholipase, lipooxygenase, cyclooxygenase 2, leukotrienes, thromboxane, prostaglandins, nitric oxide, collagenase, elastase, hyaluronidase, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 (MCP-1), interferon-inducible protein, tumor necrosis factor (TNF), and interleukin-12 (IL-12).

Conclusions: Curcumin has been demonstrated to be safe in six human trials and has demonstrated anti-inflammatory activity. It may exert its anti-inflammatory activity by inhibition of a number of different molecules that play a role in inflammation.

(This post was edited by healyje on Jan 10, 2013, 7:23 AM)

curvenut

Feb 19, 2013, 4:35 PM
Post #20 of 40 (18550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

Whsich turmeric supplement exaclty are you taking ?

Could I just eat nor meals with turmeric ?

healyje

Feb 19, 2013, 6:09 PM
Post #21 of 40 (18527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curvenut] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Se the link in my post back up aways for what I take, the other good one is 'Turmericforce'. Unless you eat a lot of it I suspect you'd be better off with one of the supplements.

brooklynclimber

Feb 24, 2013, 5:26 AM
Post #22 of 40 (18421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, from the National Institutes of Health:

How does it work?
Return to top
The chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation).

Are there safety concerns?
Return to top
Turmeric is LIKELY SAFE when used appropriately by adults.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/662.html

healyje

Feb 24, 2013, 6:00 AM
Post #23 of 40 (18395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brooklynclimber] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Several thousands of years of Chinese and Indian medicine probably covers the general risk proposition. I and my wife, who's been doing advanced yoga for fifteen years, have found no downsides over the years we've been taking it. YMM certainly V.

brooklynclimber

Feb 24, 2013, 6:05 AM
Post #24 of 40 (18389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I"m looking at it pretty seriously as I've been on advil for a while and want to take a break. Can I ask what dosage you are taking?

jt512

Feb 24, 2013, 6:09 AM
Post #25 of 40 (18388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
Several thousands of years of Chinese and Indian medicine probably covers the general risk proposition. I and my wife, who's been doing advanced yoga for fifteen years, have found no downsides over the years we've been taking [tumeric]. YMM certainly V.
How is the highlighted phrase pertinent to the fact that neither of you have noticed any adverse effects of tumeric supplementation?

Jay

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook