RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

eiko

Feb 24, 2013, 5:34 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2376 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Jyogasaki, Japan
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a Japanese climber and writing this to let you know about access information to Jyogasaki, Japan, where we can climb in fairly warm conditions during winter. However, several sensitive problems are coming up between the local community and the climbers these days; I ask all of you, who plan to visit this area, not to camp near the crags or near-by parks, since camping is not usually allowed all over Japan except for the official camping-sites. I do not want any climbers to be arrested while 'illegally' relaxing in your tents! Accommodations at Jyogasaki are hotels and B&Bs and many of them offer reasonable plans (ex. 6000yen for two or three meals and a Japanese style bath/night) for climbers although most of the lodging do not provide any staffs speaking and understanding English nor any English web-sites. When you access to Jyogasaki, I recommend you to find a Japanese climber who will assist you during your stay around the crags, but do not trust them if that person tells you that it is OK to camp near the crags of Jyogasaki!

Partner epoch

Feb 24, 2013, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eiko] Climbing in Jyogasaki, Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moving this to Access Issues and Closures.

Partner epoch

Feb 24, 2013, 5:40 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2370 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Climbing in Jyogasaki, Japan [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I second this.

As someone who has climbed a fair amount at the various areas around the Kanto Plain, I can say from personal experience that it is possible to do Jyogasaki as a long day trip or broken up as an overnighter in a traditional hotel. It's easy to get there via train and bus, which makes it quite alluring, but beware of camping or 'dirtbagging' it nearby - or at any other crag.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook