Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

healyje

Feb 24, 2013, 6:29 AM
Post #26 of 40 (5855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
healyje wrote:
Several thousands of years of Chinese and Indian medicine probably covers the general risk proposition. I and my wife, who's been doing advanced yoga for fifteen years, have found no downsides over the years we've been taking [tumeric]. YMM certainly V.
How is the highlighted phrase pertinent to the fact that neither of you have noticed any adverse effects of tumeric supplementation?

Jay

She deals with the same levels of physical stress and inflammation as climbers do if not more.

jt512

Feb 24, 2013, 7:07 AM
Post #27 of 40 (5850 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
jt512 wrote:
healyje wrote:
Several thousands of years of Chinese and Indian medicine probably covers the general risk proposition. I and my wife, who's been doing advanced yoga for fifteen years, have found no downsides over the years we've been taking [tumeric]. YMM certainly V.
How is the highlighted phrase pertinent to the fact that neither of you have noticed any adverse effects of tumeric supplementation?

Jay

She deals with the same levels of physical stress and inflammation as climbers do if not more.

So it's irrelevant. Neither of you have noticed adverse effects of supplementation. And neither rock climbing nor yoga would be expected to be related to the risk of adverse effects of supplementation.

healyje

Feb 24, 2013, 7:20 AM
Post #28 of 40 (5844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sage of RC has spoken which, as usual, warrants a complete 'whatever'. Dude, parting a sea of endless semantics with the intellectual prowess of a lion, totally impressive if I say so myself. God only knows how RC'ers ever formed an opinion without your able guidance.

Kartessa

Feb 24, 2013, 8:55 AM
Post #29 of 40 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, it was recommended by a medical doctor for my son to take it to reduce inflammation of muscles for his MD.

It's been hard to sneak supplement capsules to a small child, but between that and the creatine have been making a world of difference in his strength.

onceahardman

Feb 24, 2013, 1:23 PM
Post #30 of 40 (5825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
The sage of RC has spoken which, as usual, warrants a complete 'whatever'. Dude, parting a sea of endless semantics with the intellectual prowess of a lion, totally impressive if I say so myself. God only knows how RC'ers ever formed an opinion without your able guidance.

Hey, dont sweat it too much. I understand your point. You and your wife are both physicaly active, you have found positive benefit, and no ill effects. I think that was clear.

Maybe I'll even give it a try if I can find it at my local health food store. Glucosamine/Chondroitin does not work for me, and in fact, in two seperate trials for me, correlates with INCREASED shoulder pain, with little or no change in the knee pain for which I was actually taking it.

In my opinion, someone is simply looking to pick a fight. Take heart that he would never do that face to face. Cowardly behavior.

jt512

Feb 24, 2013, 8:46 PM
Post #31 of 40 (5799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:

In my opinion, someone is simply looking to pick a fight. Take heart that he would never do that face to face. Cowardly behavior.

You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how uninformed it may be.

Jay

onceahardman

Feb 24, 2013, 9:41 PM
Post #32 of 40 (5787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Jay

Well, it's always nice to know I have been granted the entitlement of the right to an opinion by the sagely oracle of RCdotcom.

Let me know if you would ever like to meet face to face to discuss these issues in greater detail.

jt512

Feb 24, 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #33 of 40 (5781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
jt512 wrote:
onceahardman wrote:

Jay

Well, it's always nice to know I have been granted the entitlement of the right to an opinion by the sagely oracle of RCdotcom.

Let me know if you would ever like to meet face to face to discuss these issues in greater detail.

Well, if you get out to SoCal, give me a call.

Jay

onceahardman

Feb 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #34 of 40 (5777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will do. What's your number?

jt512

Feb 25, 2013, 2:29 AM
Post #35 of 40 (5757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Will do. What's your number?

I'll PM you.

Partner rgold

Feb 25, 2013, 4:22 AM
Post #36 of 40 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got achey shoulders, but nothing I can't live with comfortably without medication. I often wonder whether the years and years of one-arm pullups ended up protecting them or harming them. Almost all of my climbing and most of my bouldering was pretty static, so I almost never shock-loaded the shoulder joint.

For five or more years I've been bothered by hip pain. It isn't a daily thing at all and only usually manifests itself on long walks. I've given glucosamine/chondroiten several long trials with long layoffs in between. Once I've been taking it for 4-6 weeks, there is a noticeable decline in the kind of hip pain I get. Once I'm off it for two or three months, the pain comes back. I've been through several cycles of this now and have begun to think that it works on this condition for me, although I'm well aware of the placebo effect and the studies that indicate its ineffectiveness for the general population.

Now, having ruptured my ACL and torn part of the meniscus, which had to be removed, I'm experiencing some knee pain for high-impact activities (hiking and climbing are ok, running and jumping rope are not). Based on a comment in another thread, I've been trying Zyflamend, which has 220 mg of tumeric in the daily dose but also a whole bunch of other herbal thingies that are supposed to combat inflammation. It may have anti-carcinogenic effects as well; see http://www.mskcc.org/...-care/herb/zyflamend.

The Sloan-Kettering site mentions a few potentially bad drug interactions, all with drugs I've never heard of, but I'd check that list before experimenting with the stuff.

So far, I can't detect any differences from taking the stuff, but it has only been about three weeks. It will be pretty hard to tell, because I could just be getting better as time goes on and I continue to strengthen the affected leg, which is still not at 100% one year out from surgery. (Sigh---the tribulations of healing when you're nearly seventy.) If Zyflamend does seem to work, I'll probably lay off it for half a year or so to see if things get worse without it.

bcrigby

Feb 25, 2013, 6:43 PM
Post #37 of 40 (5719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Turmeric in supplements is often formulated in a special way which increases absorption (incorporation into a phospholipid). Normal absorption of the curcumin (the primary active phytochemical) is only around 5%, but the phospholipid increases absorption significantly.

I would recommend Xyflamend, which is a combination of a number of anti-inflammatory phytochemicals. The benefit of this is that you'll actually improve your recovery from injury, not just mask the pain.

I would recommend against Advil or Tylenol. These merely block a part of the inflammatory response. In the short term, you feel less pain, but it also literally prevents your body from resolving the issue. This means you'll need to keep taking the medication, but you'll never actually get better. IMO, you should focus on improving your inflammatory response so you can heal effectively, which will reduce your pain naturally.

Furthermore, you'll be fighting systemic inflammation, which contributes to nearly every chronic disease the Western world suffers from (e.g., heart disease, cancer, T2 diabetes, obesity, etc.).

healyje

Feb 25, 2013, 8:59 PM
Post #38 of 40 (5703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bcrigby] Minor joint pain. Supplements? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was taking both Xyflamend and Turmericforce, but had to get off of them due to the fact it was discovered I have a kidney stone issue. That's forced me on to a more highly refined version of Curicumin verified to have low oxalate levels.

onceahardman

Feb 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #39 of 40 (5694 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How long did it take, in your case, to begin making a noticeable difference?

healyje

Feb 26, 2013, 3:56 AM
Post #40 of 40 (5667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
How long did it take, in your case, to begin making a noticeable difference?

It was basically a 90 day transition from a decade of 800mg of Advil a day to the turmeric with better relief. I haven't taken an Advil in the going on five years since.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook