RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

Alimali

Mar 12, 2013, 7:13 AM
Post #1 of 21 (34847 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in just a sports bra?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So here's the question: What do you think about climbing in just a sports bra? No t-shirt or tank on top?

I've always thought it was fine, but I've never felt the need or had the courage to do it myself.

Yesterday however, it was pretty darn hot, 40 degrees celsius, and I was in a climbing gym that is essentially a tin shed, and there's no air conditioning there (104 farenheit if you were wondering). I was halfway through a climb, and I gave up on maintaining my modesty. The shirt came OFF.

I don't think I've seen any girls there climbing just in a sports bra, but there's plenty of guys who do. I figured I had just as much right in that weather.

It's not like I'm some creepy old lady either, I'm 17.

Thoughts?

sbaclimber

Mar 12, 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #2 of 21 (34840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alimali] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:
I don't think I've seen any girls there climbing just in a sports bra, but there's plenty of guys who do.
LaughSlyLaugh

Sorry, I know I am a guy and not allowed to be here, but that really made me laugh. Wink

Seriously though, if there isn't a set dress code, do exactly what you did. Observe what others are wearing (or not wearing, as the case may be...) and dress similarly if it makes you feel more comfortable.
Just like you said, if the guys are climbing in sport bras shirtless, then there should be no problems with you doing the same.

chadnsc

Mar 12, 2013, 2:08 PM
Post #3 of 21 (34786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like SB I'm a guy and am not allowed here but I agree with him. If you want to climb in a sports bra because it's hot then do it. Dress comfortably when you climb.

lena_chita

Mar 12, 2013, 2:25 PM
Post #4 of 21 (34781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:
So here's the question: What do you think about climbing in just a sports bra? No t-shirt or tank on top?

I've always thought it was fine, but I've never felt the need or had the courage to do it myself.

Yesterday however, it was pretty darn hot, 40 degrees celsius, and I was in a climbing gym that is essentially a tin shed, and there's no air conditioning there (104 farenheit if you were wondering). I was halfway through a climb, and I gave up on maintaining my modesty. The shirt came OFF.

I don't think I've seen any girls there climbing just in a sports bra, but there's plenty of guys who do. I figured I had just as much right in that weather.

Thoughts?

You must be climbing in a pretty weird place. There are GUYS climbing in sports bras, but not girls? Tongue

I have seen plenty of women climbing in "just" a sports bra (usually they had pants on, too Angelic But sometimes not. Sometimes women climb in bikinis, not even sports bras). I also have climbed in a sports bra, though I am more likely to do that when bouldering, because I do not like high-waist pants, while at the same time disliking the feeling of harness belt on bare skin. So I usually wear tank top when climbing in a harness, and a sports bra when bouldering.

I've seen plenty of women exercising in non-climbing gyms wearing a sports bra with no cover-up. I have seen women running in sports bras. In this day and age it should be simply a non-issue. If you are comfortable wearing it, go ahead.

And I also want to challenge your assumption that it is somehow only o.k. for the young girl to do so, but "creepy old ladies" shouldn't. It is your body, it is your comfort, you are the one in charge of what you wear.

Here's a picture for you. The creepy old lady is more than twice your age.

Partner macherry

Mar 12, 2013, 3:16 PM
Post #5 of 21 (34773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:

Thoughts?

i understand you're just 17, but this line made me shake my head a little.

what's a creepy old lady? do you have to be a certain age to climb in a sports bra? why would an older woman be creepy wearing a sports bra?

Partner macherry

Mar 12, 2013, 3:18 PM
Post #6 of 21 (34771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oops i missed lena's post.

last word, one of my yoga instructors is probably close to 70. she has an amazing body. she could rock a sports bra!!

wonderwoman

Mar 12, 2013, 8:42 PM
Post #7 of 21 (34732 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:

Don't fall into that trap. There is not 'cut-off' age where a woman should no longer be seen in public. I am too old to be self-conscious about my body, and I don't find that creepy at all. Wear whatever the hell you feel like wearing and screw what anybody else thinks.

Partner happiegrrrl

Mar 13, 2013, 4:10 AM
Post #8 of 21 (34697 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've seen plenty of women climbing in a sports bra at the crags. Many of the bras have more coverage and support than some of the tank tops on the market.

gblauer

Mar 15, 2013, 2:05 AM
Post #9 of 21 (34618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:

Thoughts?

Wow...Ms. Alimali...

"as we are...so shall you be"

Alimali

Mar 15, 2013, 2:23 AM
Post #10 of 21 (34611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, that was out of place, and I don't actually feel that older women have any less right to climb in what's comfortable. If anything the other way around... But I don't want to dig myself into a deeper hole haha!

dr_feelgood

Mar 15, 2013, 7:06 AM
Post #11 of 21 (34592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Alimali wrote:
Sorry, that was out of place, and I don't actually feel that older women have any less right to climb in what's comfortable. If anything the other way around... But I don't want to dig myself into a deeper hole haha!
Please don't be afraid to speak. Don't be afraid of being wrong. Don't be afraid of being right. When you dig a hole, you generally have a good idea of which way is up; digging holes is a part of human existence.

wonderwoman

Mar 15, 2013, 5:43 PM
Post #12 of 21 (34557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Alimali wrote:
Please don't be afraid to speak. Don't be afraid of being wrong. Don't be afraid of being right. When you dig a hole, you generally have a good idea of which way is up; digging holes is a part of human existence.

Well said. We don't want Alimali to shut up. We just don't want her to fall into the trap of judging which women are worthy of being seen in public. We are worth a lot more than our bodies.

Partner camhead

Mar 15, 2013, 6:15 PM
Post #13 of 21 (34551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
Here's a picture for you. The creepy old lady is more than twice your age.

Definitely creepy.

tallgirl

Mar 25, 2013, 8:11 PM
Post #14 of 21 (34326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just don't take it too far and start wearing only your sports bra to work!

Seriously, one of the joys of climbing is the independence gained from self reliance and figuring out your own path.

It isn't really about what you wear.

Although, I am sure if you hit GoodWill you could find some spandex and make some climber dudes from the 80's super happy.

Be well and remember to have fun!

Alimali

Mar 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #15 of 21 (34313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallgirl] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree it's not about what you wear...

But I think I could totally bring back the fluorescent spandex leggings!!! *cue Justin Timberlake "I'm Bringing Sexy Back"*

Partner cracklover

Apr 3, 2013, 5:18 PM
Post #16 of 21 (34119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
You must be climbing in a pretty weird place. There are GUYS climbing in sports bras, but not girls? Tongue

Don't make me dig up that picture of me in a sports bra. You'll be sorry. We all will.

GO

Partner cracklover

Apr 3, 2013, 6:27 PM
Post #17 of 21 (34103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and some more shots that I took of a creepy old lady (my wife) in a sportsbra, looking like the badass that she is:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ch.cgi?RouteID=82337

GO

acacongua

Apr 16, 2013, 3:31 PM
Post #18 of 21 (33588 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots of women climb in just sports bras and I've been doing it for years. It's just more comfortable because I have less restricted movement (thank you, Verve) and I swear there is a furnace in me because I heat up quickly.

However, I remember shunning the tshirt for the first time to run in a sports bra and I felt awkward. At your age, you're a little more conscience of showing the body, but I promise you'll get over it. If this were Europe, you wouldn't even ask the question.

So go for it. Be free.

eps

Jun 22, 2013, 1:39 PM
Post #19 of 21 (32794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish this post was about you climbing withuout anyhing on your upper body (as guys do) or to use a sportsbra. With you as a woman beeing as free in your body as men..

And the question should be about what is more comfortable and gets the most out of your climbing, a performance oriented question not a social constructs oriented one.

But the world we live in makes the question wether it s socailly accepted to take your T-shirt off. Something a guy would most often not even consider..

I say do wathever you like! The ones that do not care are probably the ones you want to be friends with anyway in the end?

AllForPicard

Jun 22, 2013, 4:50 PM
Post #20 of 21 (32786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eps] Climbing in just a sports bra? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eps wrote:
And the question should be about what is more comfortable and gets the most out of your climbing, a performance oriented question not a social constructs oriented one.

For me that would be an easy question, sport bra, always. Rope to breast contact: not so nice, breast to rock contact: not so nice, breast reducing arm movement: not so nice. Having a bra that makes it feels like my breasts are firmly grabbed constantly, pretty nice.

lkeegan

Jun 24, 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #21 of 21 (32716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go out of my way to find cute sports bras that match my shorts so I can wear them sans tank top.

No one pays any attention when I'm at the crag (and if there is swimming near by, people are frequently climbing in their bikini top). BUT when I'm at the gym, I get a LOT of stares and awkward/creepy comments/faces from guys. One night I had some old jersey-shore-type lick his lips at me. GROSS.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook