RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

mju6559

Mar 16, 2013, 8:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3929 views)
Shortcut

LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am considering buying a pair of LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots verus they Koflach Degre's if they are a tad less stiffer in design.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me - if the addition price difference of $200 is really worth it?

Thanks

dr_feelgood

Mar 19, 2013, 6:46 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mju6559] LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mju6559 wrote:
I am considering buying a pair of LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots verus they Koflach Degre's if they are a tad less stiffer in design.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me - if the addition price difference of $200 is really worth it?

Thanks
Climbing in double plastics kind of sucks. Spend the extra money, as your feet will appreciate it. Nepal EVOs are a very good all around boot-- I climbed for four seasons in them.

jjanowia

Mar 19, 2013, 8:58 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mju6559] LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Koflach double plastic boots are useful for two scenarios.

The first is doing multi-day climbs where having ones' boots get wet and stay wet is a real concern. A good example would be getting guided up Mt. Rainier in the early season, where temps fluctuate around freezing with high relative humidity and moisture / inability for things to dry out overnight is a real concern.

The second is if it is cold enough such that lack of insulation in something thinner is a concern. An example might be springtime routes in Alaska or Denali during the peak season.

Outside of settings I've described above, a "single" boot design that is leather or synthetic in nature (e.g. Nepal EVO) would be preferable. They excel relative to the "double" boot design of Koflach for technical climbing where precise foot placement is important, like mixed routes and waterfall ice. They are also likely to be more comfortable for lengthy approaches not on snow. Finally, they are lighter.

mju6559

Mar 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjanowia] LA SPORTIVA Nepal EVO GTX Mountaineering Boots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK thanks for the info!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook