RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rgbscan

Mar 22, 2013, 3:23 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2394 views)
Shortcut

No One Likes a Bully....
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I was saddened to read this morning that GoPro has decided to become an internet bully!

A digital camera review site, digitalrev.com , posted a matchup between the GoPro Hero 3 and the new Sony action camera.

GoPro had it's legal team serve the site's webhosting provider with a DMCA takedown notice. This is a legal notice intended to take down COPYRIGHTED (the 'C' in DMCA) material, i.e. music and video downloads.

However, the GoPro legal notice said the violation was using their trademarked names of "GoPro' and "Hero" in the review without permission.

First of all, trademarks are not covered by the DMCA. Second of all, fair use allows anyone to use trademarks in just this fashion. I couldn't build my own car and call it a "Chevy Malibu". That's trademarked. But I sure could write a review about it or post pictures of my car online. That's fair use.

Reddit was up in a storm, and GoPro responded by saying it was all a big mixup - they weren't against the article per se, they were against DigitalRev selling it's product and using the trademarked "GoPro" and "Hero" and pictures of the camera in the product listing.

This smells like BS. You don't need to be a registered GoPro dealer to sell the product. And of course using the product's name in a product description is fair and legal use. And why would the legal notice demand a takedown of the GoPro vs Sony matchup review post, if the real issue was the product description in the store section of the site? Sounds like a PR coverup. It makes me wonder, how many other reviews has GoPro forced offline that they didn't like?

I'm highly disappointed in a company I used to really like. I wanted to bring this to the attention of the climbing community. I believe in internet freedom of speech and the DMCA process is really being abused here.

I'll definitely be giving the new Monoprice Action Cam and the Contour cam a second look. I don't want my money supporting bullies.

Info: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/03/gopro-can-fall-from-planes-with-no-parachute-cant-get-copyright-law/

jeepnphreak

Mar 22, 2013, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 2 (2318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgbscan] No One Likes a Bully.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

One more reason to go with a conture. ITs better made, less plastic.
AND the big one it had a much lower profile on your hemlet. Which allows the camer to ride better. You dont feel the leverage of the weight like a G pro.
I hate G pros mounting system that has the cam on that retarded stalk. The camer so stupidly high off the helmet that its prone to smashing the camera on overhanging routes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook