RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

NewMaineGuide

Mar 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
Post #1 of 23 (19750 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by NewMaineGuide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

viciado

Mar 26, 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #2 of 23 (19743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NewMaineGuide] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe try a search online for "camp cot"?

ecade

Mar 26, 2013, 1:04 PM
Post #3 of 23 (19730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Portaledges are much more than 300, and if you want a fly over top, tack on many more benjamins or bordens (depends where you're from)

Go with a cot or Hammock

Besides where would you set up a portaledge? you need a rock face to anchor it into and then you'd need bolts or gear... . If you only had trees buy a hammock, lighter, less expensive, more versatile, get tarp and a bug net et voila,

Kartessa

Mar 26, 2013, 1:51 PM
Post #4 of 23 (19714 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NewMaineGuide wrote:
I am new here and am honestly not a climber. I hope this does not offend, but I thought this forum looked like it would have the most knowledgeable people on the subject of portaledges. I would really like a portaledge for camping. My wife cannot sleep on the ground and we have tried the hammock route, it works well for me, but she needs a tent... Trust me, arguing for non-tent option is not an option. A double portaledge looks to be a perfect option except for the price. I totally understand why they are expensive. If I were hanging over a cliff I would want to KNOW that everything was going to be perfect. But I am looking to be hanging about 10 inches off the ground. Is there an inexpensive alternative? Is there a place to buy used, worn, maybe needing to be patched portaledges? I am hoping for something in the 200-300 range price wise. Thank you to anyone who can give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I would like to reiterate that I will not be using this for climbing. I have the utmost respect for the bravery and daring people show by climbing but I get weak knees climbing a step ladder. Smile

Nobody is going to part with a portaledge for less than $500, even if it's been attacked by a bear and pissed on by a family of feral cats. Besides, they're not very comfortable and quite narrow (even the double ones), and your set up options are going to be quite limited, not to mention you'll have to get up in a tree to set it up - not good for your weak knees.

Can you please explain *WHY* your wife cant/wont sleep on the ground? Might help us offer better suggestions for you.

Here are a few suggestions in your price range:

Double Cot-Tent - Kinda like a portaledge, except instead of hanging it, it has a base to keep you off the ground.
http://www.overstock.com/...pla&kw={keyword}

Thermarest Cot - So comfy, lightweight, packable, and can fit inside the tent you already have.
http://cascadedesigns.com/...ite-mesh-cot/product
Toss on one of these:
http://cascadedesigns.com/...eoair-camper/product
And you have a pretty damn comfy setup that's off the ground.

(This post was edited by Kartessa on Mar 26, 2013, 1:52 PM)

amarius

Mar 26, 2013, 2:50 PM
Post #5 of 23 (19682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends how handy you are
Here is 31USD travel cot on Amazon - click
If you put a tent around a couple, you should be set.

There are even double cots with tents on them - double click

csproul

Mar 26, 2013, 4:22 PM
Post #6 of 23 (19640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doubles do come up occasionally used for less than $500. I got mine for considerably less, but it takes some looking and some luck. I have also seen plans floating around on how to make your own, but you'd still likely need to buy a fly for it, and they are not cheap either. A couple things you should know:

They are heavy. Much heavier than a tent.

They do not set up super-well free hanging. i.e. they need a face to butt up against to be very stable. You can set them up in trees, but it is trickier and they tend to spin or tip more easily than if they were up against a rock face.

They are not roomy. A double ledge is still very tight for 2 people.

Good luck, I think buying a portaledge is going to be a very hard/impractical route for you unless you get very lucky.

marc801

Mar 26, 2013, 4:33 PM
Post #7 of 23 (19633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Can you please explain *WHY* your wife cant/wont sleep on the ground? Might help us offer better suggestions for you.
This. The OP jumped straight to a solution without explaining the problem.

When I hear someone can't/won't sleep on the ground, assuming it's something other than an irrational phobia, my first thought is usually that their knees don't like it since in most tents you get to kneel and crawl to get in/out. Is that the problem the OP is attempting to solve?

milesenoell

Mar 26, 2013, 4:46 PM
Post #8 of 23 (19621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My bet is that the objection is due to back issues. My recommendation would be one of those THICK inflatable mattresses. A friend of mine got one about a foot thick that matches the footprint of her tent. If you don't mind lugging the extra plastic around it is very comfortable.

billcoe_

Mar 27, 2013, 1:36 AM
Post #9 of 23 (19537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [milesenoell] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The advice for a cot is good. I can assure you that a portable camping cot will outperform a portaledge any day of the week. My brother got an air mattress that he'd pump up. Sized so it would fit in the bed of his full sized truck. I only layed on it but it felt so luxurious. Much better than a portaledge.

Like this http://www.walmart.com/...card-Bundle/21632115

or the deluxe model:
http://www.rei.com/...y-sleep-eazy-air-bed

You can buy manual pumps or pumps that plug into your lighter socket.

Except once you are off the deck of course.

NewMaineGuide

Mar 27, 2013, 9:36 PM
Post #10 of 23 (19459 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by NewMaineGuide [In reply to]
Report this Post

onceahardman

Mar 27, 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #11 of 23 (19446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just go buy a pop up camper.

vinnie83

Mar 27, 2013, 10:34 PM
Post #12 of 23 (19442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NewMaineGuide wrote:
it does not "lay flat" no matter how tights it is pulled.

Having spent many nights in both portaledges and issued military cots, there will be no advantage in using the portaldege in terms of it laying flat or more comfort in general. Usually when 2 people are on a portaledge you notice every move your partner makes, this will be even more noticeable if you're hanging it off a tree.

NewMaineGuide wrote:
Weight isnt a huge of a concern as long as the equipment is packable. From what I have seen I am looking at 25ish lbs? Is that right? I can ruck that. Cots sit at 10lbs a pop, are not really any larger than her hammock and in general are not packable.

What do you mean by packable? A broken down portaledge is still quite long and will have to be strapped onto the outside of most packs somehow.

From your point of view I guess it's hard to understand why a portaledge wouldn't work because you've never been on one, but you're better off following everyone's advice and just looking for a more comfy solution that rests in some manner on the ground or don't go camping.

NewMaineGuide

Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #13 of 23 (19427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Saddly, this forum seems to suffer from the same misfortune as many. Is there anyone here who can point me in the direction asked? Or is everyone simply interesting in telling me why they think I am wrong in some way?

Kartessa

Mar 27, 2013, 11:45 PM
Post #14 of 23 (19420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NewMaineGuide wrote:
Saddly, this forum seems to suffer from the same misfortune as many. Is there anyone here who can point me in the direction asked? Or is everyone simply interesting in telling me why they think I am wrong in some way?

If you're going to be an ass, you can do your own damn homework.

People have made some good packable, lightweight and affordable suggestions. But hey, it's your money to blow.

NewMaineGuide

Mar 27, 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #15 of 23 (19418 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by NewMaineGuide [In reply to]
Report this Post

Kartessa

Mar 28, 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #16 of 23 (19407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NewMaineGuide wrote:
Will do. Thought this was homework. For some reason I thought this forum might have intelligent people on it that specialized in climbing equipment like portaledges. What I found was naysayers and cot salesmen. Kinda glad I am not fond of heights, even if I could stand the view I dont think I would like the company.

You found people with practical firsthand knowledge to tell you what you're looking for is not what you think it is.

Buy a damn portaledge and when you realize how dumb it is, I'll be happy to take it off your hands... For a fee of course, since you don't mind wasting money.

edge

Mar 28, 2013, 3:15 AM
Post #17 of 23 (19350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

http://www.hammocks.me.uk/...s-hammock-with-nets/

vinnie83

Mar 28, 2013, 3:20 AM
Post #18 of 23 (19344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

NewMaineGuide wrote:

You asked for advice and you got it, stop whining because it doesn't support your original plan.

If you're still dead set on getting a used portaledge and willing to pay a reasonable amount of money check out ebay or the classified section on this website and other climbing websites, but it sounds like you've already done that. If you expect me (or anyone else on this forum) to make you an awesome deal on my heavily used, but still functional portaledge don't get your hopes up.

marc801

Mar 28, 2013, 4:46 AM
Post #19 of 23 (19327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya know, when you ask for advice and you get a bunch of answers that are contrary to what you thought they would be, you have two choices on how to react:

1. You can say, "Wow. A bunch of people with a lot more direct experience than I have said it wasn't a good idea. Maybe I should rethink this."

2. Or you can be aggressively ignorant and post something asinine like:
NewMaineGuide wrote:

Go away if you insist on being an arrogant ass.

jowybyo

Mar 28, 2013, 1:13 PM
Post #20 of 23 (19266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or maybe this forum could stop being arrogant in thinking that they know the specifics of this guys situation. He didn't ask for "advice" about whether it was a good idea or not. He simply ask where to find a portaledge on the cheap.

marc801

Mar 28, 2013, 2:01 PM
Post #21 of 23 (19246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jowybyo] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jowybyo wrote:
Or maybe this forum could stop being arrogant in thinking that they know the specifics of this guys situation. He didn't ask for "advice" about whether it was a good idea or not. He simply ask where to find a portaledge on the cheap.
Not quite. Reread his OP:

NewMaineGuide wrote:
I am new here and am honestly not a climber. I hope this does not offend, but I thought this forum looked like it would have the most knowledgeable people on the subject of portaledges. I would really like a portaledge for camping. My wife cannot sleep on the ground and we have tried the hammock route, it works well for me, but she needs a tent... Trust me, arguing for non-tent option is not an option. A double portaledge looks to be a perfect option except for the price. I totally understand why they are expensive. If I were hanging over a cliff I would want to KNOW that everything was going to be perfect. But I am looking to be hanging about 10 inches off the ground. Is there an inexpensive alternative? Is there a place to buy used, worn, maybe needing to be patched portaledges? I am hoping for something in the 200-300 range price wise. Thank you to anyone who can give me some advice or point me in the right direction. I would like to reiterate that I will not be using this for climbing. I have the utmost respect for the bravery and daring people show by climbing but I get weak knees climbing a step ladder. Smile

He asks about portaledges, clearly points out he is not a climber, explains a lot about why, and explicitly asks about lower cost alternatives. All of that was provided in a respectful, instructional tone. But when the answers didn't align with his preconceived solution of a portaledge, he went all whinny and bratty. That's when people got fed up with him.

Kartessa

Mar 28, 2013, 2:54 PM
Post #22 of 23 (19227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aren't you glad I quoted before he deleted?

marc801

Mar 28, 2013, 4:33 PM
Post #23 of 23 (19201 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Portaledge not for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Aren't you glad I quoted before he deleted?
Of course. But realistically it just doesn't matter all that much. The lame wimps who delete their posts aren't worth bothering with and should rightfully be ignored.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook