Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

iknowfear

Apr 29, 2013, 11:09 AM
Post #1 of 33 (18717 views)
Shortcut

Fistfight & death threats on everest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Details are thin so far, but Simone Moro, Ueli Steck and Jonathan Griffith were attacked by a group of sherpas.

Facts:
-The sherpas where fixing ropes and asking the three to wait for them to finish work.

- The trio continued climbing to the side of the lines.

- later in camp they were sourrounded by sherpas and hit with stones, bottles and fists,

detailed report on ukclimbing

http://www.thehimalayantimes.com/...wl&NewsID=374521

simone moro's view in italian google translate

john griffith (with google translate) says the exepedition has ended

edited to add and remove some urls

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Apr 29, 2013, 11:35 AM)

iron106

Apr 29, 2013, 1:23 PM
Post #2 of 33 (18666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Stay tuned, UFC Everest! But with Ice Axes.

Kartessa

Apr 29, 2013, 1:44 PM
Post #3 of 33 (18658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ueli Steck??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...k-Mount-Everest.html

This site says it was "Wool Stick" (See 5th photo down caption)

iknowfear

Apr 29, 2013, 2:17 PM
Post #4 of 33 (18642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Ueli Steck??

ah, the fun of auto-translate. (steck could be translated to stick)

iknowfear

Apr 29, 2013, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 33 (18524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Ueli Steck??

interview with simone moro

majid_sabet

Apr 29, 2013, 9:33 PM
Post #6 of 33 (18517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

Another disaster caused by spoiled foreign stuck ups who think then own the mountains and they can do anything out there .

Sherpas should kick their asses and throw them all out of the khumbo but again, locals need money so its a love and hate relationship on top of the world .

Kartessa

Apr 29, 2013, 9:54 PM
Post #7 of 33 (18501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Another disaster caused by spoiled foreign stuck ups who think then own the mountains and they can do anything out there .

Sherpas should kick their asses and throw them all out of the khumbo but again, locals need money so its a love and hate relationship on top of the world .

You do realize that the sherpas are fixing lines so Joe Blow from Idaho can learn how to put on crampons and become a motivational speaker, right?

jomagam

Apr 29, 2013, 10:40 PM
Post #8 of 33 (18488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Did you read the facts, or are you just shooting from the hip ? If so, tell me what justified trying to kill them. Not to mention how horrible PR it would be for Everest guiding companies (and subsequent unemployment for the sherpas), if they got an image of being blood thirsty savages.

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 12:42 AM
Post #9 of 33 (18444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (8 ratings)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Did you read the facts, or are you just shooting from the hip ? If so, tell me what justified trying to kill them. Not to mention how horrible PR it would be for Everest guiding companies (and subsequent unemployment for the sherpas), if they got an image of being blood thirsty savages.

I have several hi-alt Sherpa friends and climbed with them in Khumbo area. I am very well aware how non-local climbers treat sherpas especially some of the spoiled European climbers. This event is not the first time nor will be the last time.These rich high profile climbers and their clients better learn how to respect porters and Sherpas. Sherpas risks their lives fixing ropes, carry heavy load up the mountains .fix tents ,cook food and rescue pussies up there so give them slack and let them do their job.

jomagam

Apr 30, 2013, 1:36 AM
Post #10 of 33 (18424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jomagam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I have several hi-alt Sherpa friends and climbed with them in Khumbo area. I am very well aware how non-local climbers treat sherpas especially some of the spoiled European climbers. This event is not the first time nor will be the last time.These rich high profile climbers and their clients better learn how to respect porters and Sherpas. Sherpas risks their lives fixing ropes, carry heavy load up the mountains .fix tents ,cook food and rescue pussies up there so give them slack and let them do their job.

I stand corrected. All three of them should have obviously been clubbed to death.

Kartessa

Apr 30, 2013, 3:09 AM
Post #11 of 33 (18403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jomagam wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I hear they offer turndown service at base camp now

vinnie83

Apr 30, 2013, 3:56 AM
Post #12 of 33 (18376 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
These rich high profile climbers and their clients better learn how to respect porters and Sherpas.

So if I understand you correctly the mentioned climbers who are attempting a new route without the use of supplemental oxygen or the ropes fixed by the sherpas are not only RICH, but they are guiding clients while doing this?

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 6:07 AM
Post #13 of 33 (18351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vinnie83] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

vinnie83 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
These rich high profile climbers and their clients better learn how to respect porters and Sherpas.

So if I understand you correctly the mentioned climbers who are attempting a new route without the use of supplemental oxygen or the ropes fixed by the sherpas are not only RICH, but they are guiding clients while doing this?

I am not sure if they are guiding clients or not but last time I checked, you have to have pay at least $35k to go and play around Everest and if you are doing FA on something new out there, I am certain you have to go a couple of times and that will cost more.

Spending 60+ days in BC cost money but these guys are good at sucking REDBULL or some other sponsorship to support their expenses.

At the end, I smell trouble and disaster in hi-alt where too many people are doing too many stupid things and now is the speed record on the face of mother of all gods.

vinnie83

Apr 30, 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #14 of 33 (18313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
vinnie83 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

I am not sure if they are guiding clients or not but last time I checked, you have to have pay at least $35k to go and play around Everest and if you are doing FA on something new out there, I am certain you have to go a couple of times and that will cost more.

Spending 60+ days in BC cost money but these guys are good at sucking REDBULL or some other sponsorship to support their expenses.

At the end, I smell trouble and disaster in hi-alt where too many people are doing too many stupid things and now is the speed record on the face of mother of all gods.

They were not guiding clients and few people would consider these guys rich in monetary terms (you guessed it, they have sponsors paying most of their expenses). Wasn't aware that these guys are trying to set some kind of speed record as you stated, but then again you couldn't be bothered to read any of the articles in the first place.

"where too many people are doing too many stupid things"
Such as guiding a bunch of clients who have cash, but no mountain sense up the highest mountain in the world. IMHO stringing fixed ropes and leaving trash all over the mountain is pretty disrespectful, but all the sudden these guys try to summit by fairer means and they are the assholes?

Ueli Steck's account of the incident
http://www.uelisteck.ch/...eilung-29042013.html
The sherpas may have a different account and it deserves to be heard as well, but on a mountain like Everest I find it hard to believe that you can spend any amount of time on it without getting ice knocked down on you.

ObviousTroll

Apr 30, 2013, 1:15 PM
Post #15 of 33 (18287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Disaster? Caused by foreigners? Very quick to judge. Your predisposition to assume these guys provoked an attack on their lives is alarmng. Maybe you're just butthurt that somebody posted the story here before your injury mongering ass could post it in A&I.

csproul

Apr 30, 2013, 1:37 PM
Post #16 of 33 (18275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ObviousTroll] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Disaster? Caused by foreigners? Very quick to judge. Your predisposition to assume these guys provoked an attack on their lives is alarmng. Maybe you're just butthurt that somebody posted the story here before your injury mongering ass could post it in A&I.
Just typical Majid talking out of his ass again...ignore.

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 3:47 PM
Post #17 of 33 (18222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

here is the disaster

Sherpas were out to kill us, say Everest climbers

by: ROBIN PAGNAMENTA
April 30, 2013 10:12AM

A CLIMBER has spoken of how he and two famous mountaineers were forced to flee for their lives after a mob of 100 angry sherpas pelted them with stones, wielded ice axes and threatened to murder them during a "terrifying" brawl close to the summit of Everest.

"We were certain we were going to be killed," said Jonathan Griffith, a British photographer who was accompanying Ueli Steck, of Switzerland, and Simone Moro, of Italy. "We were incredibly lucky to get away with our lives," he said, speaking from the Everest base camp.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/...b64oi6-1226632110175

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 3:48 PM
Post #18 of 33 (18220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Fistfight & death threats on everest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Just typical Majid talking out of his ass again...ignore.

STFU before I get my ice axe out of garage

I forgot I was armchair troll noob

iknowfear

Apr 30, 2013, 3:53 PM
Post #19 of 33 (18211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

an eyewitness account:

Chadd_Kellog wrote:
The men promised that if Simone came out on his knees and begged for forgiveness he would not be hurt. Simone tried to get out of the tent on his knees when he was beaten and forced back inside. Awhile later Melissa asked Simone to get back on his knees outside the tent and ask for forgiveness again. She had been assured by the instigaters that he would not be hurt. So Simone got on his knees to ask for forgiveness and was kicked under the chin, someone tried to stab him with a pen knife, but fortunately the knife hit him in the padded belt of his backpack.

Simone retreated inside the tent again. Marty Schmidt recalled when I talked with him at Camp 2 that he saw a man getting ready to bring a large rock down on Simone's head to kill him. Marty grabbed the rock and the mans arm and shouted “no, no violence.” For his intervention he received a rock to the head himself. Marty was still wearing the bandage on his head when I spoke with him

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 4:07 PM
Post #20 of 33 (18202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is going to be in National Geographic Magazine

ObviousTroll

Apr 30, 2013, 6:14 PM
Post #21 of 33 (18154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

God, are you thirteen? And no it's not... It's going in Climbing you fool, somebody as respected as Nat Geo doesn't want to do anything that proves you right.

(This post was edited by ObviousTroll on Apr 30, 2013, 6:18 PM)

majid_sabet

Apr 30, 2013, 9:49 PM
Post #22 of 33 (18086 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ObviousTroll wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

God, are you thirteen? And no it's not... It's going in Climbing you fool, somebody as respected as Nat Geo doesn't want to do anything that proves you right.

No in fact, NG is very interested on the project since BC is turning to a town with sh*t all over . last I heard, they were prostitute out there doing business.

Kartessa

May 1, 2013, 1:16 AM
Post #23 of 33 (18050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
ObviousTroll wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

No in fact, NG is very interested on the project since BC is turning to a town with sh*t all over . last I heard, they were prostitute out there doing business.

NG is prostituting? Damn, times must be tough.

Partner robdotcalm

May 1, 2013, 7:12 PM
Post #24 of 33 (17946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's the Sherpa version of the incident,

http://www.alanarnette.com/...he-sherpas-viewpoint

Rob.calm

jorgegonzalez

May 1, 2013, 7:44 PM
Post #25 of 33 (17937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard on the news that after dis-regrding the Sherpas' request that they wait to climb until after the Sherpas finished fixing the line, the trio went around and kicked off ice that fell and struck one of the Sherpas, injuring him.

While I wasn't there and can't say to what degree the Sherpas' reaction to the trio's action was justified, it certainly was not an unprovoked incident.

The history of treatment (or mistreatment) of Sherpas undoubtedly blew the situation up out of proportion, causing the climbers to suffer for the ills and misconduct of their brethren.

I'm just saying . . .

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook