Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 3:42 PM
Post #42676 of 45342 (4251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

By I didn't miss the pt

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 3:46 PM
Post #42677 of 45342 (4247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
The wife is away for an out-of-state baby shower. Climbing, watching the Red Sox, and beginning to pack boxes to go in the storage pod that arrives on Thursday. We should be completely homeless and on the road in two weeks.
The wife's niece had her wedding shower Sat.
A week ago the wife asked, which kids she should take. By that time it was: All Of Them!

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 3:58 PM
Post #42678 of 45342 (4245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
edge wrote:
The wife is away for an out-of-state baby shower. Climbing, watching the Red Sox, and beginning to pack boxes to go in the storage pod that arrives on Thursday. We should be completely homeless and on the road in two weeks.
A week ago the wife asked, which kids she should take. By that time it was: All Of Them!
I did get out four sum klimbing Saturday.
Although we were down two. One wuz shipped off to Kanada for werk reasons. Another broke his ankle before he had a chance to start climbing and spent Sat in the urgent care.
But otherwise it was a fine day of climbing. Although I swear that 5.5 gets harder and slicker everytime I lead it. Unimpressed But from the anchors we can climb the variations to the left and the right. And at 95 foot, makes for worth while climbing and a relaxing day.

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 4:00 PM
Post #42679 of 45342 (4243 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
edge wrote:
I did get out four sum klimbing Saturday.
Although we were down two. One wuz shipped off to Kanada for werk reasons. Another broke his ankle before he had a chance to start climbing and spent Sat in the urgent care.
But otherwise it was a fine day of climbing. Although I swear that 5.5 gets harder and slicker everytime I lead it. Unimpressed But from the anchors we can climb the variations to the left and the right. And at 95 foot, makes for worth while climbing and a relaxing day.
Picked up a big ol burrito, and pulled a beer out of the fridge for dinner. Very nice, and quite.

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 4:00 PM
Post #42680 of 45342 (4241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

time to start planning the next trip.

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 4:02 PM
Post #42681 of 45342 (4239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
macherry wrote:
this place is dead

*crickets*

not just this thread

I wonder how the traffic numbers look. These guys have to be itching to let this place die at some point.

when i randomly check who's on line, it's amazing how low the numbers are. when i joined this place was very busy, especially at night. i'm sure sites like Facebook have contributed to low numbers.

I don't doubt FB has contributed, but I really don't think that's it. As much as 1.5 years ago this place was still rockin' pretty well. I think it has a lot to do with poor site maintenance and the chasing off of good contributors.
Well maybe they're focusing all their energy into the divetime forums...

erisspirit

Apr 29, 2013, 7:05 PM
Post #42682 of 45342 (4224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

back from Shasta!

it wuz fun!

we didn't summit for several reasons, but did get to enjoy some really nice snow... and not enjoy some wet rotten ucky snow. We also skinned up exploring another area and had a fun adventure working our way back down through some trees. I did fine, but could really work on my tight maneuvering skills :P my turns in the steep tree sections were pretty funny... but I didn't hit a tree so I guess it worked!

stoopid TSA inspected our sport tube on the way home (we flew to sacramento and drove from there) they didn't put the tsa lock back on which was holding the whole thing closed. its a miracle we didn't loose all our ski stuff... the tube did pop open in the airport though and we had to go hunt down a zip tie to close the darn thing again ...

Kartessa

Apr 29, 2013, 9:56 PM
Post #42683 of 45342 (4214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now

Keep your lube adventures to yourself!

What would you say about taking a SUP out when thunderstorms are forecasted?

Not much, 'SUP with you?

Personally I love thunderstorms; been known to climb a tall pine tree in them to feel the energy. If SUP is a typo for SUV, then I say go for it, perfectly safe. If its short for stand up paddle board, then I would do that as well, just keep an eye on the horizon and stay within 15 minutes of shore. Or maybe it means something else?

Salty Urban Pretzels?
Somewhat Unhappy Partner?
Slightly Unflattering Pants?
Stiff Uncut Penish?

I'd go for the stiffy, but it's gotta be kosher.

As for the paddle board, I've booked one for tomorrow afternoon - we're going in search of dolphins!

donald949

Apr 29, 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #42684 of 45342 (4208 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*bangs head against desk*

edge

Apr 29, 2013, 11:21 PM
Post #42685 of 45342 (4204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
So the KY forecast has cleared up... 'cept down here in FL its rain every day now

Not much, 'SUP with you?

Personally I love thunderstorms; been known to climb a tall pine tree in them to feel the energy. If SUP is a typo for SUV, then I say go for it, perfectly safe. If its short for stand up paddle board, then I would do that as well, just keep an eye on the horizon and stay within 15 minutes of shore. Or maybe it means something else?

Salty Urban Pretzels?
Stiff Uncut Penish?

As for the paddle board, I've booked one for tomorrow afternoon - we're going in search of dolphins!

Throw out a tuna net?

Kartessa

Apr 30, 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #42686 of 45342 (4198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Not much, 'SUP with you?

Salty Urban Pretzels?
Stiff Uncut Penish?

Throw out a tuna net?

Bazinga!

Partner epoch

Apr 30, 2013, 4:08 PM
Post #42687 of 45342 (4189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Donny,,

have you been up to Mineral King in SEKI before?
Yes for a couple of trips, 2 good week long backpacking trips.
Gorgous alpine area. At the time there was a ranger station to bet your backcountry permits there, can't say if that is still the case, the seki website should have the 411.
Miles of narrow rough dirt roads to get there, but otherwise easily 2wd driveable.
*eyes glaze over*
y due ewe axe?

I am planning a 4 day trip Memorial Day weekend. I have awl the logistics set in motion and plans made... except for one thing:

Marmot deterrent.

I've read a few different methods to do this, and since it will be early season they'll be out in force. How'd you do it? I've seen everything from tarping the bottom of your vehicle to surrounding your vehicle in chicken wire, a combination of the two, and even adding coyote urine and mothballs. Leaving your hood open is another method too...

Just looking for opinions/what people did.

Nothing.
Absolutly nothing.
Both times I was there they gave us the marmut rundown, "check your hoses before you leave." But never had a problem. Of course this was in the 90-95 time frame. So, I am afraid I am of no help again.
So this raises a question, has anyone ever had their hoses attacked by Marmuts? Does anyone personally seen or know someone who has? I've only ever heard stories spread around. Like momma bear sending the cubs up the cables to get the food. or the raid can wrapped in bacon. Seams to be urban lengend????
However, I have heard dryer sheets keeps the rats/mice out of the engine compartment. Might try that.
But otherwise, does anyone have any first hand experience with the notorious marmut?
Good luck. Tongue
so this raises a question, will AAA go to Mineral King to tow you to the nearest shop for hose repairs?

research says it's an $1100 fix, including towing...
sew I googleplexed teh hose eating marmots. knot a lot of first hand stories. Butt there r sum, and pictures two. Including sum where furball wedged themselves in goodantight and couldn't be removed. Others that hid so well they ended up in ventura.
Appears to be true, not jess legend. Although won poster mentioned the dryer sheet as a deterent.
Good luck. Crazy

I think I may have read awl the marmot stuff stories that are easily found and some quite obscure ones too.

I have an idea and will be getting things together in the next week or two and I will be doing a dry-run to get it all put together. Pics will be taken; and you'll all get a TR from the install of the Marmot-Keeper-Outer 9500.

Partner epoch

Apr 30, 2013, 4:21 PM
Post #42688 of 45342 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good diving weekend.

Water was clear, the company was great.

We floated two kegs and were kicked out of the bar 1) for exceeding max occupancy; and 2) for being too obnoxious. Well, after not being wanted for our patronage we headed back to the cabins and proceeded to consume the rest of the alcohol we brought. 95+ people in togas...

Got 5 great dives in. Took a 3 mile hike and ran a 10k.

Erin, your psycho running group should plan a run from Avalon to the north end and back on Catalina Island. THAT would be an epic trip! It's ~ 18 miles from Avalon to Two Harbors; ~11 miles to the end; then the 7 mile straight shot back to Two Harbors over the mountains and back the way you came to Avalon. ~54 miles all together. The nice thing is the potential bail point at Two Harbors.

edge

Apr 30, 2013, 4:30 PM
Post #42689 of 45342 (4181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:

Erin, your psycho running group should plan a run from Avalon to the north end and back on Catalina Island. THAT would be an epic trip! It's ~ 18 miles from Avalon to Two Harbors; ~11 miles to the end; then the 7 mile straight shot back to Two Harbors over the mountains and back the way you came to Avalon. ~54 miles all together. The nice thing is the potential bail point at Two Harbors.

Oooh, it's fun to suggest trips for other people!

Ekop, you should scuba from SoCal to New Guinea, and then solo Carstenz Pyramid. The nice thing is the potential to have a story on Shark Week.

erisspirit

Apr 30, 2013, 5:02 PM
Post #42690 of 45342 (4173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Good diving weekend.

Water was clear, the company was great.

We floated two kegs and were kicked out of the bar 1) for exceeding max occupancy; and 2) for being too obnoxious. Well, after not being wanted for our patronage we headed back to the cabins and proceeded to consume the rest of the alcohol we brought. 95+ people in togas...

Got 5 great dives in. Took a 3 mile hike and ran a 10k.

oooo sounds fun!

erisspirit

Apr 30, 2013, 5:03 PM
Post #42691 of 45342 (4172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found new skis I want!

do I need new skis?

no...

do I need to be spending money of new skis?

no...

do I still want them?

YES!

Partner epoch

Apr 30, 2013, 5:23 PM
Post #42692 of 45342 (4168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't got to processing the U/W photos yet. Sleep was on the menu Sunday night as it was last night.
I have to rack out the gear and rinse tonight and we should crack open the U/W camera for processing tonight.

Sightings of note: I don't know if we got pics of everything or not:
Cormorant catching a fish 50 feet below the surface.
Playful seal
Anglefish
Three horned Sharks
Eels
and plenty of schooling fish.

Now to plan for the climbing weekend!

Partner epoch

Apr 30, 2013, 5:27 PM
Post #42693 of 45342 (4167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
I found new skis I want!

do I need new skis?

no...

no...

do I still want them?

YES!

But... finding snow in this Hemisphere that is within reasonable driving distance is running out...

What skis, may I ask?

Partner epoch

Apr 30, 2013, 5:27 PM
Post #42694 of 45342 (4166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
epoch wrote:

Ekop, you should scuba from SoCal to New Guinea, and then solo Carstenz Pyramid. The nice thing is the potential to have a story on Shark Week.

Shark Week Ooh-Ah-Hah!

Partner macherry

Apr 30, 2013, 5:49 PM
Post #42695 of 45342 (4163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
I found new skis I want!

do I need new skis?

no...

no...

do I still want them?

YES!

buy the skis
that is awl!!

edge

Apr 30, 2013, 6:00 PM
Post #42696 of 45342 (4156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
erisspirit wrote:
I found new skis I want!

do I need new skis?

no...

no...

do I still want them?

YES!

buy the skis
that is awl!!

The resident ski mistress has spoken. Let it be so!

edge

Apr 30, 2013, 6:08 PM
Post #42697 of 45342 (4154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am surrounded by cardboard.

Just packed up most of the books, save for 20+/- that went into the RV. the fly rod tube fits nicely under the slide-out sofa, and fly vest is hanging in the bathroom closet (finless brown trout?)

Sold two hand made single cherry beds and a canopy tent through Craigslist. Need to find someone to adopt my cat. Giving away cacti & succulents. Have to trim the extension mirrors to fit on the Tundra. My new rope is still in the bag, waiting to be unwound and coiled for use.

Max graduates in 10 days and still needs to find a job, lest he become a nomadic couch surfer (there is a proud tradition in this inherited from yours truly). <<<<is the period supposed to go inside the parenthesis or out here?

Editing is weak, but so is faulty autocorrect.

(This post was edited by edge on Apr 30, 2013, 6:09 PM)

donald949

Apr 30, 2013, 6:17 PM
Post #42698 of 45342 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
epoch wrote:

Grate idea.
I'll go next.
Greg should paddle up the Amazon to the source and climb the Andes. Descending the other side to the Pacific.

donald949

Apr 30, 2013, 6:18 PM
Post #42699 of 45342 (4148 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Donny,,

have you been up to Mineral King in SEKI before?
Yes for a couple of trips, 2 good week long backpacking trips.
Gorgous alpine area. At the time there was a ranger station to bet your backcountry permits there, can't say if that is still the case, the seki website should have the 411.
Miles of narrow rough dirt roads to get there, but otherwise easily 2wd driveable.
*eyes glaze over*
y due ewe axe?

I am planning a 4 day trip Memorial Day weekend. I have awl the logistics set in motion and plans made... except for one thing:

Marmot deterrent.

I've read a few different methods to do this, and since it will be early season they'll be out in force. How'd you do it? I've seen everything from tarping the bottom of your vehicle to surrounding your vehicle in chicken wire, a combination of the two, and even adding coyote urine and mothballs. Leaving your hood open is another method too...

Just looking for opinions/what people did.

Nothing.
Absolutly nothing.
Both times I was there they gave us the marmut rundown, "check your hoses before you leave." But never had a problem. Of course this was in the 90-95 time frame. So, I am afraid I am of no help again.
So this raises a question, has anyone ever had their hoses attacked by Marmuts? Does anyone personally seen or know someone who has? I've only ever heard stories spread around. Like momma bear sending the cubs up the cables to get the food. or the raid can wrapped in bacon. Seams to be urban lengend????
However, I have heard dryer sheets keeps the rats/mice out of the engine compartment. Might try that.
But otherwise, does anyone have any first hand experience with the notorious marmut?
Good luck. Tongue
so this raises a question, will AAA go to Mineral King to tow you to the nearest shop for hose repairs?

research says it's an $1100 fix, including towing...
sew I googleplexed teh hose eating marmots. knot a lot of first hand stories. Butt there r sum, and pictures two. Including sum where furball wedged themselves in goodantight and couldn't be removed. Others that hid so well they ended up in ventura.
Appears to be true, not jess legend. Although won poster mentioned the dryer sheet as a deterent.
Good luck. Crazy

I think I may have read awl the marmot stuff stories that are easily found and some quite obscure ones too.

I have an idea and will be getting things together in the next week or two and I will be doing a dry-run to get it all put together. Pics will be taken; and you'll all get a TR from the install of the Marmot-Keeper-Outer 9500.
Standing by...

donald949

Apr 30, 2013, 6:38 PM
Post #42700 of 45342 (4139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tired...

First page Previous page 1 ... 1704 1705 1706 1707 1708 1709 1710 1711 1712 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook