RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

maxitwist

May 8, 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #1 of 10 (13840 views)
Shortcut

My Arms get tired too fast (why?)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am quite a newb at climbing. (just fyi)
After really not so long of climbing, my forearms get so weak the just cant hold onto anything, seeing as im starting on an overhang, they kind of need to?!
I have waited 10minutes, shaking out my arms, and still when i go back my strenght feels non exsistent. And you do need strenght to go over overhangs.. surely? I can see how its technique once the wall is verical, but while its not, i cant see anyway to climb other then strenght. (Im kind of expecting to be told im wrong here but if so could you maybe give a tip as to what to try..?)
I will continue reading the other newbie topics on this forum, but really my strenght is just gone after like 15 minutes on the wall its ridiculous.

escalabrasil

May 8, 2013, 11:24 PM
Post #2 of 10 (13816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maxitwist] My Arms get tired too fast (why?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there may be 3 possible things going on here.
1) You're not warming up.
2) You're only trying routes that are too hard for you at the moment.
3) You're trolling.

You can take care of the first two by just slowing down a bit, warming up properly, and trying to do easier routes in a better style. That should also help you with technique.

Sadly, there is no cure for the third.

maxitwist

May 9, 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #3 of 10 (13804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [escalabrasil] My Arms get tired too fast (why?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

escalabrasil wrote:
3) You're trolling.

You can take care of the first two by just slowing down a bit, warming up properly, and trying to do easier routes in a better style. That should also help you with technique.

The last 3 questions i have asked on the internet people have asked if i am trolling. Why?! .. trolls are meant to be funny not genuine questions..

Thanks for answering despite thinking i was a troll, i am not stretching, ill look up what stretches to do tomorrow before i go.
In reply to:

shotwell

May 9, 2013, 6:02 AM
Post #4 of 10 (13757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maxitwist wrote:
escalabrasil wrote:
3) You're trolling.

The last 3 questions i have asked on the internet people have asked if i am trolling. Why?! .. trolls are meant to be funny not genuine questions..

Thanks for answering despite thinking i was a troll, i am not stretching, ill look up what stretches to do tomorrow before i go.
In reply to:

Stretching probably isn't going to help. The general lack of stamina that you're experiencing is because a majority of your movement is initiating from your upper body. There are tons of ways in different situations to reduce your upper body work load. For a fairly comprehensive resource to efficient climbing movement, check out The Self Coached Climber.

skelldify

May 9, 2013, 1:20 PM
Post #5 of 10 (13712 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your arms get tired because they're not strong enough. Pretty simple.

Eat healthily and keep climbing and your body will adapt.

lena_chita

May 9, 2013, 1:36 PM
Post #6 of 10 (13701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

maxitwist wrote:
I am quite a newb at climbing. (just fyi)
After really not so long of climbing, my forearms get so weak the just cant hold onto anything, seeing as im starting on an overhang, they kind of need to?!
I have waited 10minutes, shaking out my arms, and still when i go back my strenght feels non exsistent. And you do need strenght to go over overhangs.. surely? I can see how its technique once the wall is verical, but while its not, i cant see anyway to climb other then strenght. (Im kind of expecting to be told im wrong here but if so could you maybe give a tip as to what to try..?)
I will continue reading the other newbie topics on this forum, but really my strenght is just gone after like 15 minutes on the wall its ridiculous.

This is pretty typical for a new climber. Your forearms will adapt as you keep climbing. Everyone eventually gets pumped on overhanging routes that are hard for them. For stronger people it just happens on harder climbs and takes somewhat longer.

Obviously, you do need some arm strength to hang on, on overhanging climbs, but you are correct -- technique is really important, because if you are not climbing efficiently, and using body positioning to your advantage, then you are overgripping and burning your forearms out all that much faster. In your case, as in every newbie case, learning proper technique and efficient movement will go a long way towards making you able to climb those overhanging routes without burning out.

Look up Slef-Coached Climber book.

cyberbackpacker

May 9, 2013, 2:27 PM
Post #7 of 10 (13686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] My Arms get tired too fast (why?) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This was posted here in the last week, and it is a really good video on technique for climbing overhanging routes (problems).

http://www.youtube.com/...mp;feature=endscreen

Watch it, practice it, repeat! This should help you tremendously I think, especially if you are just beginning to climb!

Good luck.

(This post was edited by cyberbackpacker on May 9, 2013, 2:28 PM)

Sunshine1990

Jun 5, 2013, 8:42 AM
Post #8 of 10 (13164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe you should make a plan to make your arm stronger enough to tight long. Big strength of arm can help lot, anyelse, professional skills also are very important.

benjaminlh

Jun 9, 2013, 6:54 PM
Post #9 of 10 (12983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to make it in you need arm-strength surely. Buy have you considered using the right techniques? Anyhow, train your arms. Lots of reps and low weight should give you the endurance to last a little longer :)

Benjamin
http://slingwebbing.com

DannyDor

Jun 15, 2013, 9:58 PM
Post #10 of 10 (12832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably you just need some more training.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook