Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:23 PM
Post #42951 of 45342 (7168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guess not for the win Cool

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #42952 of 45342 (7167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:25 PM
Post #42953 of 45342 (7166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I sound like a broken record I think. I did six studies of a street here in Curitiba and all turned out reasonably OK. the idea was to work with colors to set up a good mix. I can't repeat what I did in the past, but I can follow ideas and emotions pretty well.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:26 PM
Post #42954 of 45342 (7165 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
I sound like a broken record I think. I did six studies of a street here in Curitiba and all turned out reasonably OK. the idea was to work with colors to set up a good mix. I can't repeat what I did in the past, but I can follow ideas and emotions pretty well.

But then I went and fucked up the composition when I put it on canvas. what I was hoping would turn out to be a week-long project is looking like at least a month now.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:27 PM
Post #42955 of 45342 (7164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

But then I went and fucked up the composition when I put it on canvas. what I was hoping would turn out to be a week-long project is looking like at least a month now.

the left side is damn near perfect. so good that I'm thinking of leaving some windows off a building because I think it looks damn good as a blank wall.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:28 PM
Post #42956 of 45342 (7163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

the left side is damn near perfect. so good that I'm thinking of leaving some windows off a building because I think it looks damn good as a blank wall.

the right right side is wildly inconsistent and unbalanced. I had to let it sit for a week while I just dabbed at it here and there trying to work out how to fix it. I was worried that I could fix it but that it wouldn't be good at the same time (if that makes sense). I feared that I had ruined it from the outset.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:29 PM
Post #42957 of 45342 (7162 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

the right right side is wildly inconsistent and unbalanced. I had to let it sit for a week while I just dabbed at it here and there trying to work out how to fix it. I was worried that I could fix it but that it wouldn't be good at the same time (if that makes sense). I feared that I had ruined it from the outset.

But now it's coming around a bit. Turns out a good painting is hard work.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 2:30 PM
Post #42958 of 45342 (7161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

But now it's coming around a bit. Turns out a good painting is hard work.

Degas once said that painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Not sure if that means I'm moving up the curve or not.

Kartessa

May 15, 2013, 3:21 PM
Post #42959 of 45342 (7155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

what the fuck is this, the coffee shop? god no, please god no.

I am sitting in a starbucks on a macbook, sipping "fairly traded" coffee... like a fucking hipster...

Might as well be the coffee shop

Partner epoch

May 15, 2013, 3:22 PM
Post #42960 of 45342 (7153 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marnin yinz!

Kartessa

May 15, 2013, 3:38 PM
Post #42961 of 45342 (7150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Eat yer cereal:

http://gosloving.blogspot.ca/...-eat-his-cereal.html

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 3:56 PM
Post #42962 of 45342 (7147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

I am sitting in a starbucks on a macbook, sipping "fairly traded" coffee... like a fucking hipster...

I have serious doubts about SB's claim that they deal with fair trade coffee. As in, if you doubt me, (and I hate coffee, but I'm sure I know what the answer will be), ask starbucks if you can get an organic-fair trade coffee. Tell me what they say. I expect to hear one of the two: 1) not together and / or; 2) we just ran out.

In other words, there's an odd trend that they never seem to have it available, and you can't get fair trade and organic together. So you either have to choose between chemicals or slave wages.

(and yes, organic and fair trade need to be linked, because both are linked to sustainability)

This is part of the reason I hate the whole coffee culture in the same way I hate the golf culture: both fucking reek with pretentiousness.

And then there's this

Kartessa

May 15, 2013, 4:04 PM
Post #42963 of 45342 (7145 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

I have serious doubts about SB's claim that they deal with fair trade coffee. As in, if you doubt me, (and I hate coffee, but I'm sure I know what the answer will be), ask starbucks if you can get an organic-fair trade coffee. Tell me what they say. I expect to hear one of the two: 1) not together and / or; 2) we just ran out.

In other words, there's an odd trend that they never seem to have it available, and you can't get fair trade and organic together. So you either have to choose between chemicals or slave wages.

(and yes, organic and fair trade need to be linked, because both are linked to sustainability)

This is part of the reason I hate the whole coffee culture in the same way I hate the golf culture: both fucking reek with pretentiousness.

And then there's this

But they give me free refills and wifi...

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 4:57 PM
Post #42964 of 45342 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

And then there's this

But they give me free refills and wifi...

fair to you for sure

edge

May 15, 2013, 5:47 PM
Post #42965 of 45342 (7139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Hit up Longstack tonight and scrubbed an amazing new line. It's going to get 3-4 bolts next week, but it's got three distinct cruxes from .10a - .10b/c and climbs incredibly fun. One more cleaning needed, probably Thursday. I'm thinking of calling it "Edge's Swan Song".

Are you going to be able to finish it?

The schedule will be tight, but I think so. I will be borrowing a drill on Tuesday; should be able to pop in 3-4 bolts and do a final scrubbing that night.

I am thinking that the multiple cruxes are strenuous enough that I won't have it in me following the bolting, so that will leave Wed - Fri to send. I can hike the first two .10a cruxes, and the second one may only be .9+ after the next scrub. There is still one move on the third crux I can't get, I'm thinking .10b/c when I am fresh, but could very easily be .11. Long reach to a slopey ledge, then left foot way out left to a hold at hip height and press up over it off of the slopey ledge. My shoulder is still a bit tweaked, so that will be the big determining factor. From the LH foothold you get a high right foot on the slopey ledge and use a marble sized crystal to pull your weight over that and stand up.

The climbing is so good we think it will be an instant classic, so we ran a TR lap to determine the best spot for the bolts. I wouldn't have enough time to project it as a R/X trad lead, and if I did no one would get on it, so we opted to make it a mixed trad (bomber cams) and bolt route.*

This way (waxing philosophical here) it will be a testament in stone for future generations. I bled all over it on the TR run, so the alternate name may be "Bloody Violins" since it is next door to "Gentle Violence" 5.11+ which I still haven't sent; I am so very close though.

*NA shits pants in despair.

(This post was edited by edge on May 15, 2013, 5:52 PM)

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 6:43 PM
Post #42966 of 45342 (7134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Hit up Longstack tonight and scrubbed an amazing new line. It's going to get 3-4 bolts next week, but it's got three distinct cruxes from .10a - .10b/c and climbs incredibly fun. One more cleaning needed, probably Thursday. I'm thinking of calling it "Edge's Swan Song".

The schedule will be tight, but I think so. I will be borrowing a drill on Tuesday; should be able to pop in 3-4 bolts and do a final scrubbing that night.

I am thinking that the multiple cruxes are strenuous enough that I won't have it in me following the bolting, so that will leave Wed - Fri to send. I can hike the first two .10a cruxes, and the second one may only be .9+ after the next scrub. There is still one move on the third crux I can't get, I'm thinking .10b/c when I am fresh, but could very easily be .11. Long reach to a slopey ledge, then left foot way out left to a hold at hip height and press up over it off of the slopey ledge. My shoulder is still a bit tweaked, so that will be the big determining factor. From the LH foothold you get a high right foot on the slopey ledge and use a marble sized crystal to pull your weight over that and stand up.

The climbing is so good we think it will be an instant classic, so we ran a TR lap to determine the best spot for the bolts. I wouldn't have enough time to project it as a R/X trad lead, and if I did no one would get on it, so we opted to make it a mixed trad (bomber cams) and bolt route.*

This way (waxing philosophical here) it will be a testament in stone for future generations. I bled all over it on the TR run, so the alternate name may be "Bloody Violins" since it is next door to "Gentle Violence" 5.11+ which I still haven't sent; I am so very close though.

I wouldn't worry about adding bolts. There's a strong tradition to adding appropriate bolts in NH. As long as you're not Rumneyating it I don't think there'll be much objection.

The thing I worry about is if the Rumney crowd gets to it.

edge

May 15, 2013, 6:55 PM
Post #42967 of 45342 (7131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

I wouldn't worry about adding bolts. There's a strong tradition to adding appropriate bolts in NH. As long as you're not Rumneyating it I don't think there'll be much objection.

Nah, there's also a strong tradition in NH about respecting the ethics of the individual crags. We have already plucked the majority of independent lines, and 99% of the routes have good natural gear, the bolts are largely meant to augment and prevent the R ratings. There are a good number of those as well, but generally speaking the best routes get enough bolts to make them accessible to the masses.

The new route is 150' long, so even if I go with the 4 bolts it's definitely not sport.

Partner epoch

May 15, 2013, 6:58 PM
Post #42968 of 45342 (7129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

... they may...

Rumor has it that the place is falling down. again. *tongue-in-cheek

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 7:49 PM
Post #42969 of 45342 (7124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

Nah, there's also a strong tradition in NH about respecting the ethics of the individual crags. We have already plucked the majority of independent lines, and 99% of the routes have good natural gear, the bolts are largely meant to augment and prevent the R ratings. There are a good number of those as well, but generally speaking the best routes get enough bolts to make them accessible to the masses.

The new route is 150' long, so even if I go with the 4 bolts it's definitely not sport.

What's the route on the west side of Whitehorse that has something like four bolts protecting a 90ft pitch...and that's it? There's a dike leading to a step left...can't remember. It's in between the standard slabs and inferno area.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 7:50 PM
Post #42970 of 45342 (7123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

... they may...

Rumor has it that the place is falling down. again. *tongue-in-cheek

1) you knew that was going to happen someday. I'm surprised it didn't happen enroute

2) but god damn, those are fucking awesome routes.

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 7:51 PM
Post #42971 of 45342 (7122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one on the right was fucking scary at the very top though.

edge

May 15, 2013, 8:02 PM
Post #42972 of 45342 (7118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

What's the route on the west side of Whitehorse that has something like four bolts protecting a 90ft pitch...and that's it? There's a dike leading to a step left...can't remember. It's in between the standard slabs and inferno area.

Children's Crusade 5.9

Gmburns2000

May 15, 2013, 8:15 PM
Post #42973 of 45342 (7116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
edge wrote:

Children's Crusade 5.9

That's it. Yup, lot of heart attacks fun on that first pitch.

notapplicable

May 16, 2013, 3:39 AM
Post #42974 of 45342 (7109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

I just found out the other day that Yuppie stands for Young Urban Professional. Who knew?

edge

May 16, 2013, 3:43 AM
Post #42975 of 45342 (7104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
mornin'

I just found out the other day that Yuppie stands for Young Urban Professional. Who knew?

And Dink means Dual Income, No Kids.

In light of the graduation of my youngest and my role as a kept man, I suspect I am now a Sink. Soon to be Nink.

"I see, said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw."

First page Previous page 1 ... 1715 1716 1717 1718 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook