RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

gblauer

May 20, 2013, 1:44 PM
Post #1 of 3 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Gunks Accident Saturday, May 18th?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was walking out at ~6PM on Saturday and I saw medics, climbers and rangers working on a climber. The climber was near Welcome to the Gunks. Anyone know what happened?

I don't know if any of this is true, but I heard from two other climbers who were nearby that the victim was trying to bail off of a 5.8 (co-op?). The climber placed a single nut, it popped and the climber hit the deck. Possible broken leg(s).

I hope all involved make a speedy recovery.

***UPDATE from GUNKS.COM***

On Saturday a number of us were climbing just to the right of the Mac Wall. Pete and I were attempting to pull our recalcitrant ropes after a double-rope rappel from the top of Credibility Gap (btw I now recommend two single-rope raps off this route) when we heard a large thump, crash and subsequent screaming. Apparently, a young Irishman named Connor from Manhattan was leading Tequila Mockingbird(?). At the first crux overhang (25 ft.?), he decided to back off and be lowered to the ground. Connor had only a single pink tricam placed. As he lowered, the piece blew and he landed on a sofa-sized rock (the thump). He then backflipped off the rock and landed on his back in the woods (the crash). The scream was a result of a likely broken left ankle and some rib damage.
>>
>>
>>
>> A call was placed to 911 and we did our best to assess his condition, calm him down, and make him as comfortable as possible. The Park ranger arrived in about 20 minutes and provided first aid. The Fire Dept then arrived and a "spirited debate" took place between the Ranger and the EMT as to the appropriate care to be given*. The patient was carried down to the carriage road by about 20 kind-hearted fellow climbers. Last I saw, Connor was being loaded into an ambulance. No word on his condition.

(This post was edited by gblauer on May 20, 2013, 11:26 PM)

csproul

May 20, 2013, 1:51 PM
Post #2 of 3 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Gunks Accident Saturday, May 18th? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
I was walking out at ~6PM on Saturday and I saw medics, climbers and rangers working on a climber. The climber was near Welcome to the Gunks. Anyone know what happened?

I don't know if any of this is true, but I heard from two other climbers who were nearby that the victim was trying to bail off of a 5.8 (co-op?). The climber placed a single nut, it popped and the climber hit the deck. Possible broken leg(s).

Hope they're ok..but what's with all the accidents recently?! Deaths in BC, Yosemite, and Tahquitz. Accident in Squamish...let's careful out there!

JasonsDrivingForce

May 31, 2013, 6:47 PM
Post #3 of 3 (4315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Gunks Accident Saturday, May 18th? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
gblauer wrote:

Hope they're ok..but what's with all the accidents recently?! Deaths in BC, Yosemite, and Tahquitz. Accident in Squamish...let's careful out there!

It is the start of summer. You know as well as anyone how many we lost in our area last summer. I pray that this summer is not like last summer. Way too many good people were lost.

Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook