Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 3:44 AM
Post #43051 of 45342 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
So, I was gonna head to Seneca and climb with some new kids who have never done any multi-pitch before, one of which is an occasional poster here, and solo the second day.

Turns out they are bailing to go to the New River Gorge with a few other kids. Also turns out that 3 of my regular partners are going to the New River Gorge.

I have to decide. Do I go soloing, which I am very much psyched on right now and have only managed a little of this spring, or do I take advantage of the fact that I will have like 8 different partners all in the same place and go to the NRG?

fuck man, head to the New.

I know, right? Problem is (First World Problems!) I am stacked with partners right now so if I want to solo, and I do, I have to actually make time for it. Two years ago it was just how I filled two of the four weekends out of the months when partners were busy but now there are always trips afoot.

yeah, always take advantage of good partner situations when you can. it comes and goes for sure.
I got like 6 partners that are solid. But the only one who is free this weekend is easily confused by the ropes on belay.

Seeing as you and I are so close, we should rope up some time...

I find it rather strange that you haven't already. With Erin, you, and him so close, I figured you guys would be climbing more often.
Erin's a runner now.
I seem to be backpacking more than climbing, and working more than climbing. I run now, which is a change and I'm sure the weight loss and added endurance won't hurt when I get to the point where I can climb more regular.

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 3:49 AM
Post #43052 of 45342 (4059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Fakebuk frendz I finally got around to posting some TRs to the blorg.

It's more of a photo Bukkake, but still some nice OC that otherwise isn't around here anymore.

(1) If you're not my fakebuk frend pm me and we can get you there (to the blorg).
(2) If you still have the link from the way-back-when machine... don't read my fucking blog. It's uninteresting and only feeds my narcissism. There isn't anything there worth reading. But if you were interested, see #1
(3) As always, Safety Third!
(4) ...

The Narrows scares me. Flash floods scare me. Noiz looks pretty cool though.
Yeah, that forecast by the rangers was all wonky. All my NOAA data and modeling I did at work before going showed it would be good. Though, with the rangers freaking out like I did I trusted the judgement of them, since they were local. Bit us in the ass, but it was a good thing in the end as we were able to see the Narrows in fall. We think that going at the end of October was the better decision and have suggested to several people to do it then instead of any other time of the year.

The rust color in the rocks and the many layers of stone around combined with the changing fall colors was absolutely remarkable. It's listed as one of the top ten trips in the US, if not the world, by NatGeo Traveler, Backpacker, and a few others. I agree with them. And seeing as they only issue 12 overnight permits per day and the camps are dispersed it doesn't get too crowded. The day hikers may crowd it in the morning, but we decided on the later shuttle and took our time down the canyon. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 3:50 AM
Post #43053 of 45342 (4058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
Fakebuk frendz I finally got around to posting some TRs to the blorg.

It's more of a photo Bukkake, but still some nice OC that otherwise isn't around here anymore.

(1) If you're not my fakebuk frend pm me and we can get you there (to the blorg).
(2) If you still have the link from the way-back-when machine... don't read my fucking blog. It's uninteresting and only feeds my narcissism. There isn't anything there worth reading. But if you were interested, see #1
(3) As always, Safety Third!
(4) ...

The Narrows scares me. Flash floods scare me. Noiz looks pretty cool though.
Yeah, that forecast by the rangers was all wonky. All my NOAA data and modeling I did at work before going showed it would be good. Though, with the rangers freaking out like I did I trusted the judgement of them, since they were local. Bit us in the ass, but it was a good thing in the end as we were able to see the Narrows in fall. We think that going at the end of October was the better decision and have suggested to several people to do it then instead of any other time of the year.

The rust color in the rocks and the many layers of stone around combined with the changing fall colors was absolutely remarkable. It's listed as one of the top ten trips in the US, if not the world, by NatGeo Traveler, Backpacker, and a few others. I agree with them. And seeing as they only issue 12 overnight permits per day and the camps are dispersed it doesn't get too crowded. The day hikers may crowd it in the morning, but we decided on the later shuttle and took our time down the canyon. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.
Also, I grammar goodly.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 3:55 PM
Post #43054 of 45342 (4044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
So, I was gonna head to Seneca and climb with some new kids who have never done any multi-pitch before, one of which is an occasional poster here, and solo the second day.

Turns out they are bailing to go to the New River Gorge with a few other kids. Also turns out that 3 of my regular partners are going to the New River Gorge.

I have to decide. Do I go soloing, which I am very much psyched on right now and have only managed a little of this spring, or do I take advantage of the fact that I will have like 8 different partners all in the same place and go to the NRG?

I know, right? Problem is (First World Problems!) I am stacked with partners right now so if I want to solo, and I do, I have to actually make time for it. Two years ago it was just how I filled two of the four weekends out of the months when partners were busy but now there are always trips afoot.

yeah, always take advantage of good partner situations when you can. it comes and goes for sure.
I got like 6 partners that are solid. But the only one who is free this weekend is easily confused by the ropes on belay.

your definition of a partner varies greatly from mine.

He never outgrew those self destructive tendencies it would seem.
Someting like that.
He doesn't count as one of the 6. Actually the number is slightly higher on recount. Never the less, with the 6+, they are all solid on belay. I would klimb multi pitch with any of them.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 3:58 PM
Post #43055 of 45342 (4042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Don't do it donny. Its a trap!
Y knot, his belayz stills prolly r gudder.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 4:03 PM
Post #43056 of 45342 (4039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

He's alos only free Sat and Sun. If he was more experienced there is a small 300' cliff with some steep but easy multi pitch fun fun fun.

There is only one way to gain experience.

Watch one, help with one, do one. That should cover the three pitches.
Actually with 60 m ropes it goes in 2 pitches. And the descent is 2 raps off the top.
Maybe the thing to do is focus on his training this weekend.

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 4:10 PM
Post #43057 of 45342 (4035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Don't do it donny. Its a trap!
Y knot, his belayz stills prolly r gudder.
I can thred a gri-gri properly! there are piktshurz!

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 4:11 PM
Post #43058 of 45342 (4034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

He's alos only free Sat and Sun. If he was more experienced there is a small 300' cliff with some steep but easy multi pitch fun fun fun.

Actually with 60 m ropes it goes in 2 pitches. And the descent is 2 raps off the top.
Maybe the thing to do is focus on his training this weekend.[/quote]
where is this small 300' cliff?

donald949

May 22, 2013, 4:15 PM
Post #43059 of 45342 (4033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

I find it rather strange that you haven't already. With Erin, you, and him so close, I figured you guys would be climbing more often.
Erin's a runner now.
I seem to be backpacking more than climbing, and working more than climbing. I run now, which is a change and I'm sure the weight loss and added endurance won't hurt when I get to the point where I can climb more regular.
Actually I'm more of a Dad than climber.
And I work too much too.
Would love to be more of a backpacker, skiier, and climber than I am. But alas...
Anyrate, we all should rope up together some time. I can come down to Woodson or Mission Gorge. Actually at one point climbed Woodson a pretty fair amount.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 4:24 PM
Post #43060 of 45342 (4029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Sespe Gorge. Up above Ventura Oaji. Just a bit too far for a day trip. But a nice weekend destination.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._County/Sespe_Gorge/
When I lived up in LA, not far from Stoney, as a young man, we got there once for a day trip. Before they bolted the belay stations. Shocked With a 50m rope you had to finish off with a short 3rd pitch, then down climb/ rap off trees in the gully. A bit stetchy. But now with the bolts, its 2 easy raps and you're on the ground.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 4:27 PM
Post #43061 of 45342 (4026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Sespe Gorge. Up above Ventura Oaji. Just a bit too far for a day trip. But a nice weekend destination.
When I lived up in LA, not far from Stoney, as a young man, we got there once for a day trip. Before they bolted the belay stations. Shocked With a 50m rope you had to finish off with a short 3rd pitch, then down climb/ rap off trees in the gully. A bit stetchy. But now with the bolts, its 2 easy raps and you're on the ground.
Actually, suicide tahq is a lot closer for you.

Kartessa

May 22, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #43062 of 45342 (4022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well that's enough studying for today... gonna go smoke some crack before class.

Hey, it's 6am somewhere!

Partner epoch

May 22, 2013, 6:27 PM
Post #43063 of 45342 (4008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Nice.

We go backpacking up there an I think I know what you're talking about. I don't have a guidebook, though.

donald949

May 22, 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #43064 of 45342 (3999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Nice.

We go backpacking up there an I think I know what you're talking about. I don't have a guidebook, though.
The area is small. No real guidebooks that I'm aware of. Except a small section of an 20 year old So Cal climbing book. In either case, its one wall along hwy 33, with a gully that splits it in 2. There's photos here and the projects that show all the routes on the wall. Pretty straight forward.
Now there is another small area just 1/2 mile north of there called the Fortress. Apparently mostly bolted? Haven't been in the area since I've learned about it, so no real 1st hand info.

Gmburns2000

May 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #43065 of 45342 (3992 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the buddy who met us in spain to go climbing and I are going to be transitioning my climbing and travel blogs into one website. we've been talking about it, and it seems to make sense. we'd break it up into two parts (travel and climbing) and then each part would have a small blog, a small photo section, and a small guidebook / useful information section.

With him in Europe and me here in South America, we should have plenty of content combined. Not sure how to easily transition the better material from my blogs, but we're going to give it a shot and see how it goes.

Gmburns2000

May 22, 2013, 11:57 PM
Post #43066 of 45342 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cooking fish.

did you know that frozen fish makes for an excellent soup if you don't thaw it first?

mmmmm...

Kartessa

May 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Post #43067 of 45342 (3986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

did you know that frozen fish makes for an excellent soup if you don't thaw it first?

mmmmm...

Frozen fish?! Why do that when you can salt it?

edge

May 23, 2013, 1:05 AM
Post #43068 of 45342 (3981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

mmmmm...

If you haven't read it yet, pick up a copy of "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". It's an awesome read, for realz!

Gmburns2000

May 23, 2013, 1:33 AM
Post #43069 of 45342 (3977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

mmmmm...

1) the fish already has salt in it as it's an ocean whitefish

2) I used other spices, so the salt would have been masked anyway

3) I almost never cook with salt (or butter for that matter)

Kartessa

May 23, 2013, 2:50 AM
Post #43070 of 45342 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

mmmmm...

If you haven't read it yet, pick up a copy of "Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World". It's an awesome read, for realz!

I Frakken love salted cod. Cod cakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Partner epoch

May 23, 2013, 2:53 PM
Post #43071 of 45342 (3955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Nice.

The area is small. No real guidebooks that I'm aware of. Except a small section of an 20 year old So Cal climbing book. In either case, its one wall along hwy 33, with a gully that splits it in 2. There's photos here and the projects that show all the routes on the wall. Pretty straight forward.
Now there is another small area just 1/2 mile north of there called the Fortress. Apparently mostly bolted? Haven't been in the area since I've learned about it, so no real 1st hand info.
I know that the gorge between the two close tunnels on the lower side of the road towards Ojai just before the first campground is bolted. Looks interesting and would serve to be a neat place. The passengers in passing cars wouldn't know you were there, despite climbing feet from them due to the closeness of the tunnels.

Partner epoch

May 23, 2013, 2:54 PM
Post #43072 of 45342 (3954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

mmmmm...

Salt, Butter, and lemon. The easiest thing to cook any white fish with.

Gmburns2000

May 23, 2013, 3:18 PM
Post #43073 of 45342 (3951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
cooking fish.

mmmmm...

Salt, Butter, and lemon. The easiest thing to cook any white fish with.

I'll make a lemon pepper spread, but without salt or butter. olive oil, lemon peel, crushed pepper.

donald949

May 23, 2013, 3:41 PM
Post #43074 of 45342 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Nice.

I know that the gorge between the two close tunnels on the lower side of the road towards Ojai just before the first campground is bolted. Looks interesting and would serve to be a neat place. The passengers in passing cars wouldn't know you were there, despite climbing feet from them due to the closeness of the tunnels.
Yes thats Wheeler gorge. Most of the climbs there are a little harder. If you go even further up the road turn off on Pine Mountain, there is a lot of bouldering. Haven't made it there either, but supposed to be good.

donald949

May 23, 2013, 3:42 PM
Post #43075 of 45342 (3944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

which just leaves the...

First page Previous page 1 ... 1719 1720 1721 1722 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook